Pay raises in the current contract for PTer's

U

uber

I'm having a hard time understanding it. I was told it was a progression scale so the first few raises were in the .35 raise. So on Feb. 1st I get another .35 cent raise then on August 1st I get an .85 cent raise. But, everyone that I've asked about this isn't sure.

On April 1st it will be my 4th year with the company. I'm in Portland (OR) in the Western Region.

I understand it can be like pulling teeth around here in regards to questions like this, but I thought what the heck its worth a shot.

Nimnim

The Nim
You should be receiving a $0.375 raise on Feb 1st, and then a $0.425 raise on August 1st. The other half of the $0.85 raise will happen on Feb 1st 2012 as another $0.425 raise. August 1st 2012 and February 1st 2013 will both give you another $0.475 raise for the total of $0.95 for the 2012 raise.

Found in Article 22 of the NMA.
Sections 5.Wages
(a) Part time Employees
All part-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1,
2008 will receive the following general wage increases for each
contract year. In each of the years, the increase shall be paid in two
(2) equal installments. The first half of the increase shall become
effective on August 1 of the specified year. The second half of the
increase shall become effective on February 1 of the following cal-
endar year.
The total wage increase for each year will be as follows:
2008 seventy cents ($0.70)
2009 seventy-five cents ($0.75)
2010 seventy-five cents ($0.75)
2011 eighty-five cents ($0.85)
2012 ninety-five cents ($0.95)

Nimnim

The Nim
Yeah, it could certainly be nicer, but I suppose this was a cost savings move made possible by the recession that was getting started at contract negotiation time.
We still get "decent" raises and it helps the company save some money at the time.

UPSGUY72

Thanks a ton. Thats kind of disappointing.
You get the same raises that everyone else get that was hired before August 1, 2008. These small yearly raises are the reason why we FT driver make what we do. Alot of people these days don't get any rasies some even get there pay cut.

JonFrum

You don't tell your Seniority Date (4/1/07 or 4/1/08???) and current pay rate, but since you are still in the five year progression, the rest of Article 22, Section 5 may be revelant . . .

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Sections 5.Wages
Part-time employees still in progression on August 1, 2008 shall receive the above contractual increases and will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance with the wage schedules in Article 22, Section 5 (b) below. Between the date of ratification and August 1, 2008 part-time employees will continue to be paid in accordance with the progression contained in the prior Agreement. The progression set forth in (b) below shall be applied effective August 1, 2008.

(b) Newly hired part-time employees
All part-time employees, who are hired or reach seniority after August 1, 2008 will be paid according to the following wage schedules:
Hourly Rate: . . . . . . . . . . .Preloader, Sorter --- All Others
Start: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$9.50 ----$8.50
Start plus ninety (90) calendar days:.. $10.50---$9.50
Seniority plus one (1) year: . . . . . . . .$11.00---$10.00
Seniority plus two (2) years: . . . . . . . $11.50---$10.50
Seniority plus three (3) years: . . . . . .$12.00---$11.00
Seniority plus four (4) years: . . . . . . .$12.87---$11.87