Penske Rentals - Is this grievable?

HyperBrn

Center is using a 24' Penske to augment/replace one of our wallies during seasonal. The Penske does not have a backup camera.

Article 18 Section 11 Paragraph 3 (end of the paragraph, in bold) states: "Where available, the Employer will lease or rent vehicles with camera monitor backing system devices or a cross view back up mirror."

My route requires me to drive the wally (now Penske) for a portion of my day. Do I have justification to file a grievance with respect to the rental NOT having the equipment mentioned above? Do I have reasonable cause to refuse to drive the vehicle without the equipment mentioned above?

I realize the contract says "Where available" which can be used as a "get out of jail free" card by the employer. However, that's only if they made a bona fide attempt to acquire said rental with said equipment, right? How do I compel the company to prove they made the attempt?

Central Region here. Though the language is from the NMA. TIA.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Center is using a 24' Penske to augment/replace one of our wallies during seasonal. The Penske does not have a backup camera.

Article 18 Section 11 Paragraph 3 (end of the paragraph, in bold) states: "Where available, the Employer will lease or rent vehicles with camera monitor backing system devices or a cross view back up mirror."

That's new language.

Do I have justification to file a grievance with respect to the rental NOT having the equipment mentioned above?

Sure.

But, have you even asked them why there is no back-up camera ?

Do I have reasonable cause to refuse to drive the vehicle without the equipment mentioned above ?

Not a smart move.

I realize the contract says "Where available" which can be used as a "get out of jail free" card by the employer. However, that's only if they made a bona fide attempt to acquire said rental with said equipment, right? How do I compel the company to prove they made the attempt?

Again, ask them.

If you are not satisfied.... file a grievance.

Brownwind

My route requires me to drive the wally (now Penske) for a portion of my day. Do I have justification to file a grievance with respect to the rental NOT having the equipment mentioned above? Do I have reasonable cause to refuse to drive the vehicle without the equipment mentioned above?

I wish you the best but believe it is not winnable. Enjoy the heat and radio.

we never had back up cameras when most of us started

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
proxy-7-gif.241304
Waaah, no backup camera, waaah!

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
So this is why UPS costs more than the competition? So they can pay out grievances for rentals not having a camera? JFC. This is why I just go to the post office.

MECH-II

🧔‍♂️✊

You’re seasonal
🧔‍♂️✊