Personal Holiday Request

azbigsam

I have been PT for 8.5 years and have always had my request for Option days granted so no complaints there. On 3/5/14 I requested for 3/14 and 3/15 off. I never got a yellow copy back from management. Today I went to the full time sups office and asked if I'm good for Friday and Saturday off. He flipped through a pile of requests and handed me mine and said "No, too many people have it off." Is there a time frame that they are supposed to get back to me? If I wouldn't have inquired I wouldn't have even found out about this today! Were they going to tell me tomorrow?! I already have plans to go out of town. The request is signed but without a date. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have been PT for 8.5 years and have always had my request for Option days granted so no complaints there. On 3/5/14 I requested for 3/14 and 3/15 off. I never got a yellow copy back from management. Today I went to the full time sups office and asked if I'm good for Friday and Saturday off. He flipped through a pile of requests and handed me mine and said "No, too many people have it off." Is there a time frame that they are supposed to get back to me? If I wouldn't have inquired I wouldn't have even found out about this today! Were they going to tell me tomorrow?! I already have plans to go out of town. The request is signed but without a date. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
In my building you need to put in the request at least 2 weeks in advance...

UPSGUY72

Bingo. However the OP is going to look like a a-hole when he does. That is why when I really need a day off I just call in if I would like a day I go to my center manager office when I get to work 1 week before the day I would like off and ask him for it. He looks at his board and tell me whether he can give it to me or not. It not and I really need the day I tell I understand you can't give it to me but I giving you a heads up I will be calling in.

upschuck

We request it 1 week out, and by the end of the next day if we haven't heard anything, we're automatically off
they have to get back to you within 1 day to tell you "No". If they don't, you have the day.
We have had grievances about lower seniority guys ask off weeks before and given the day off, then higher seniority guys couldn't get day off because off the lower guy already had if off, so now people are told one week out if they have the day off, no matter how long before they put in request.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We have had grievances about lower seniority guys ask off weeks before and given the day off, then higher seniority guys couldn't get day off because off the lower guy already had if off, so now people are told one week out if they have the day off, no matter how long before they put in request.
That's BS. How many times did we get refused days that we wanted off when we were low on the seniority totem pole?? I don't care if you asked 6 weeks in advance, if I need the day and have seniority...I'm taking it.

upschuck

That's BS. How many times did we get refused days that we wanted off when we were low on the seniority totem pole?? I don't care if you asked 6 weeks in advance, if I need the day and have seniority...I'm taking it.
People were asking several months before they wanted the day, just to be the first one to request it, got kind of ridiculous.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

That's why (at least under the supplement my hub is covered under) personal day requests shouldn't be approved/denied until the week before the day in question. If someone wants to plan something special in advance (out of town trip with the wife and kids, etc.) use a vacation.