VOTE: Yes or No on the New Contract

• Yes

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • No

Votes: 45 66.2%
  • I'm not intelligent enough to figure it out.. Need salespitch

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Being in the IAM. I don't get to vote on the contract, but it does still affect me, far as raises and some other things go.

I've been looking at the proposals. I guess the biggest thing about this contract is the Central States pension. It seems that this was the most important thing to come out of it. I can't help but think that this will be better for those in the CS in the long run. I honestly don't think UPS will do anymore harm to it then has already been done. With all things aside, It is my opinion that those in CS will be better off.

Far as the Part-time, Yes it could be better. I don't feel though, that freezing the starting wage is necessarily a bad thing. This will kind of weed out those that don't know what they want or what to expect when starting a new job. For the most part, the new part timers are young and really don't know what they want yet. If they stick with it and decide UPS is for them, then in 90 days they will get, I think a $1 raise.

Far as the benefits, I think waiting a year is a bit long, but for the most part when your young, your not exactly going to the Dr. a lot. But things do arise when you might be glad you have the insurance.

Far as bumping the progression up to 3 yrs for drivers, I really don't think it is that bad, considering the pay increases with each step.

The over 9.5 part still sounds like it could use some work. no drastic changes there, that i see.

The 22.3 jobs really need to be adding jobs here. definitely needs some work.

The part on supervisors working is a good thing. Their has been in the past a lot of this going on lately. It will all depend on if it is grieved aggressively.

Far as the 2 step pay raises. I really don't have a problem with it. This part reminds me of a maintenance setup. With what a FT driver is now making, being up around $32+ at the end of 5 years is not to shabby.

In all, I don't see this contract as the "greatest" contract. I see it as a responsible contract with the emphasis on getting the pension straightened out for CS. Could there be something worked out better? YES! With the competition trying to cut into UPS's customer base and the Customers wondering in the back of their minds about a strike, who depend on UPS for their own business. It's my opinion that people would have to think long and hard before casting a "no" vote. If the contract is settled, this will send a clear message to the competition, who is more then willing to take on more of UPS customers. 10 yrs later, UPS is still trying to gain back it's customer base it lost during the last strike.

Finally a poster with at least some common sense:)

Damok

.... In all, I don't see this contract as the "greatest" contract. I see it as a responsible contract with the emphasis on getting the pension straightened out for CS. Could there be something worked out better? YES! With the competition trying to cut into UPS's customer base and the Customers wondering in the back of their minds about a strike, who depend on UPS for their own business. It's my opinion that people would have to think long and hard before casting a "no" vote. If the contract is settled, this will send a clear message to the competition, who is more then willing to take on more of UPS customers. 10 yrs later, UPS is still trying to gain back it's customer base it lost during the last strike.

This is my feeling as well. I didn't expect this to be an earth shattering contract. I obviously didn't know the specifics of it but it boils down to addressing what the membership wanted (Pension, health and benefits) as a priority and making all that work within a tough economic reality.

upsgrunt

Every contract is the "best ever". That's just a given whenever a new one is proposed. It is kind of insulting when you think about it that we have to be told something like that. What's wrong with our opinion?

brazenbrown

I do not think .35 vs .70 jumps you into another tax bracket. Besides let me worry about my taxes and how to minimize them. UPS just wants to hold on to my money and invest it!!!

Yeah they want to invest it into your future..What's good for the goose is good for the gander!:laugh: Complaining about how much money UPS is making is kind of biting the hand that feeds you isn't it? Isn't job security part of this whole thing anyways...UPS is pulling the Central States out of trouble with a 6.1 billion dollar contribution and is doing way more than the union has ever done for us, in fact the union is to blame for the depleted fund. We all ought to be glad we work for a company that has the funds and the conscience to do what's right. Bickering about a split raise is the least of our worries and delivering packages for $25 to $32 an hour (by the end of the contract) is great! When I tell customers how much we make they wonder how we're still in business. I tell them with pride it's because I bust Ass!!:thumbup1:

Read the whole contract people!!!! There are a lot of give backs and no improvements to stop harassment, strenghten Art 48, stop excessive rides, and to stop all the nit picking!!

The only ones that need to worry about this are the slackers...C'mon dude appreciate what you have here! I know I do...:wink:

I'm gonna say vote YES just to balance out all the NO's who don't really know how good they really have it. But really you should vote the way you feel this contract will impact you after reading it and understanding as much as you can..

It will not be all things to all people but remember the whole thing is a give and take process and will not make everyone happy.

It will never be the best ever for all! But it's not the worst ever either!

Griff

The only ones that need to worry about this are the slackers

Yes, if you go over 9.5hrs worked or are harassed at work you are automatically a slacker. Another brilliant UPS mind at work here, time to pull out your management intent letter there Sally.

tourists24

#1angel....what if you got your full raise and it actually raised you to a new level tax bracket and you actually lose most of it ?? Better to get half and get all of it and then get another half later. JMHO

are you actually trying to make it sound like getting a smaller raise is a good thing?

80GRAND

thanks ! I Thought It Was Just Me Thinkin This Guy Was Moronic!

hey More Luck Ill Take Any Raises U Dont Want!! Or Just Keep Not Takin A Lunch!
43$ Hour 5 Days A Week! Thats Alot Of $$ U Give Back To The Buster Brown!

Griff

Got to go with it Pensions a $300 bump up from my original 11/07 retirement plan. Also insurance cheaper by $400

Way to look out for #1. Don't mind all the weak language that will allow UPS to basically fire people at will, that doesn't effect you anymore. Don't mind all the weak language that allows UPS to subcontract even more of our work to nonunion people. Don't mind UPS stealing half our raise to boost a profit at Christmas, you could careless.

At least we get to see the ugly side of CS people. They would sell the rest of us down a river if it benefited them by $1. This will become glaringly obvious when this contract gets voted in by a landslide. I'll be barking in the ear of every Teamster official I come into contact with over the next 5-6 years.