Population in China

vantexan

@rickyb probably can't believe that China would lie about its COVID numbers.

Anyway, doesn't sound like good news for Taiwan. China will want to try and take it while they still can. We're all in big trouble if the TSMC plants are captured or destroyed.
I wonder how far along that chip factory being built in Arizona is to completion? China is going to lose a huge amount of factories to other countries for no other reason than they won't have enough workers to man them all in the near future.

Box Ox

I wonder how far along that chip factory being built in Arizona is to completion? China is going to lose a huge amount of factories to other countries for no other reason than they won't have enough workers to man them all in the near future.

Hope it won't be long. Sounds like TSMC might be seeing the writing on the wall and is trying to speed up construction.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I wonder if included in those birthrates are all the expecting mothers that are giving birth in the USA ?
China has been operating birthing centers for years.
They ship the mothers-to-be over to here to gain dual citizenship for the babies.

vantexan

I wonder if included in those birthrates are all the expecting mothers that are giving birth in the USA ?
China has been operating birthing centers for years.
They ship the mothers-to-be over to here to gain dual citizenship for the babies.
I think you have a misconception there. There are wealthy Chinese in Hong Kong who have realistic concerns about their future and have flown over to have their baby here so that if everything goes bad they have a way out with their baby's citizenship.

Two things have greatly damaged Chinese demographics. For decades they had a one child per family policy. And because of that and the cultural importance of having a male heir female babies have been aborted at a very high rate in hopes that the next pregnancy results in a son. Has skewed the demographics and now millions of men have no hope of finding a wife. And brought the birth rate down to unsustainable levels.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think you have a misconception there. There are wealthy Chinese in Hong Kong who have realistic concerns about their future and have flown over to have their baby here so that if everything goes bad they have a way out with their baby's citizenship.

Two things have greatly damaged Chinese demographics. For decades they had a one child per family policy. And because of that and the cultural importance of having a male heir female babies have been aborted at a very high rate in hopes that the next pregnancy results in a son. Has skewed the demographics and now millions of men have no hope of finding a wife. And brought the birth rate down to unsustainable levels.
The Guangzhou/Pearl River area looks like a huge US industrial park because it is one.