Possible contamination

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
10/4 any blood found on pkgs should be treated like a hazmat
1 don't touch
2 stop progression
3 leave area
4 notify a supe

isn't it ups policy to always treat liquids on pkgs as a hazmat or is that only for taking the hazmat test with all the answers givin to you!

drewed

Shankman
10/4 any blood found on pkgs should be treated like a hazmat
1 don't touch
2 stop progression
3 leave area
4 notify a supe

isn't it ups policy to always treat liquids on pkgs as a hazmat or is that only for taking the hazmat test with all the answers givin to you!

i havent heard the stop progression thing in about 2 years actually......
I do believe the actual wording is leaking package not wet or liquid on it....
and it sounds like you have some shoddy supervision, giving the answers? HAHA

Covemastah

joopster,,,, i was just feeding the fire, a littlle dried blood wouldn't stop me from grabbing a bundle.But on the other hand if it had a rtn or to add to a medical lab and was leaking a ton of red stuff with a haz mat label,I would go through the pre scribed UPS method!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
But on the other hand if it had a rtn or to add to a medical lab and was leaking a ton of red stuff with a haz mat label,I would go through the pre scribed UPS method!

If it was leaking a ton........Jeeze, that would make it a suspicious package that is leaking an unknown substance, in which case you would leave and notify. But now you are dreaming up your version of the story, which does not resemble what was posted.

He did not see the package, he did not know that he had what looked like blood on it till later.

They do not have, nor do they need a Hazmat label to ship human blood.

The only difference is if the blood has been tested and found to be positive for any number of illnesses. Then and only then does it become a hazmat.

So since the blood is being sent out to be tested, it does not require a hazmat sticker.

There are tens of thousands of vials of blood being sent out each day to be tested. Very few are to be tested for issues that you need to be worried about. Most are routine to test for mundane things like cholesterol, drug use, or in drug studies, the level of the test drug in you system.

Human blood that is collected for testing is never shipped in an Irreg container. They are also sealed off in containers that will allow the retention of the blood inside the package should one of the vials leak. To have enough blood to saturate the outside of the box would require enough to do a transfusion with, and those are shipped even better packed.

So, in reality, it is very unlikely that the box was covered in blood, and if it was, it was most likely animal blood, which really does not have any issues to the human.

The reason a doc wears gloves to draw your blood is to protect you from him, not him from you. Bare hands on or near a wound is the #1 way of transmitting problems from the care giver to the patient.

d

Covemastah

Back in my days as an EMT (10+ yrs ago) there were viruses that would stay active for 12+ hrs. hepatitis B comes to mind, even after it dried. blood-born pathogens are pretty serious. The next time I would stop working until you got yourself cleaned up. Your own safety has to be a priority. I know there are many things that you come in contact with that you don't know about, or that you can't control. I this instance, you saw it, you saw that you had blood on you, you should not keep working, get yourself cleaned up.
sounds like P.O.M knows a little on this subject,but Dr Dan will straighten it out !!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Hep B is one of several diseases you can contract when messing with blood. And it can be spread really well on a crowded airplane.

Bottom line, If you are exposed to blood, regardless of the source, you need to wash your hands, and launder/throw away the gloves. Geesh, I feel like a Kindergarden teacher. Thats basic 101 stuff.

For sure you dont want to take that nasty glove and wipe your face or eyes with it.

As a practical matter, the germs on that nasty glove without the blood would make you shudder. Especially in building where you have a bunch of little dippers that spit.

As for my knowledge base, came from working in the OR for a while, and my wife is a manager at one of the places that draws a ton of blood for testing.

Over

I have this pain in my lower abdomen
From the photo I can see that you are kicking the lower abdomen with your knees when you walk. It would also be safe to say that a portion of that pain is steeringwheel burn, as you drive down the road.

You and I need to go on a diet if we are to present well at the cruise.:wink2:

So lay off the beers. Only 12 a day now that you are on a diet.

d