^%!!@*!! Power Pads

SmithBarney

yeah right!

Aside from it being a newer piece of hardware, it still has all the software problems the old ones had...
And there lies the problem, our software was just dropped on the new device with minor tweaks. They really need to
write the software from scratch, and have it run on the device, not have it run in a shell, that is running on top of windows.

They are pieces of crap. The point made about them actually hurting productivity is an excellent one. Will there be any changes in goals and expectations? No, even though we are being provided with highly defective equipment. Management will make some paper dictate and issue updates and "fixes". The problem is, you can't fix an inherently defective design.

I'll stand by and say that the hardware isn't necessarily the problem, its the software and how it interacts(or not) with the hardware.

Oh Mr 7, watch out the new pouches like to fall off, the buttons wear out in about a week, and will randomly come undone, and slowly works its way off.
I've got a rivet gun in the garage, I'm going to rivet it permanently so the buttons are not a worry.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Oh Mr 7, watch out the new pouches like to fall off, the buttons wear out in about a week, and will randomly come undone, and slowly works its way off.
I've got a rivet gun in the garage, I'm going to rivet it permanently so the buttons are not a worry.

Do you mean the holsters?
If so, apparently, there are two different types. The one I got which seems to work well and another version where the PP is super loose inside it and it flops around. I had a guy ask me yesterday if I owned a rivet gun, which I do, two as a matter of fact.

I'm still using the old brick and looking forward to getting the new version PP. Sick of the weight of the old 1 pulling my pants down and heard the new one is much lighter and more sleek. Is this true?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm still using the old brick and looking forward to getting the new version PP. Sick of the weight of the old 1 pulling my pants down and heard the new one is much lighter and more sleek. Is this true?

A lighter semi-triangular brick. You might be wishing you had your old one back.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
There's nothing better about the new ones.
Same old crappy software. Except now, you get to lose contact with dispatch whenever it feels like it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think the new ones scan better/faster but yeah the connection issues are annoying.

Don't you wish that the crosshairs had a "kill" setting, as in when your manager collapses the route next to you for no reason. Just place the crosshairs in the center of the forehead and BLAM!!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Don't you wish that the crosshairs had a "kill" setting, as in when your manager collapses the route next to you for no reason. Just place the crosshairs in the center of the forehead and BLAM!!

No reason?

Sure he's got a reason but not a very good one like to make himself look good on a report or to the senior or on a conference call. I'm sure he's a real suckass too.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Today, at my warehouse gig, I noticed the customer had a PP2. Yes a PowerPad2. Only difference was, the keys all illuminate and it doesn't have the FedEx shell on it, so all the functions are available. That includes the camera and the internet, the phone portion needed a passcode to use.

Very interesting....

O

olcc

Today, at my warehouse gig, I noticed the customer had a PP2. Yes a PowerPad2. Only difference was, the keys all illuminate and it doesn't have the FedEx shell on it, so all the functions are available.

I have seen customer receiving departments use these as well. Motorola must have some good salespeople.

The problem is, these could have been such an improvement if they'd only solicited some feedback from couriers. After a week-long test, anyone could have told them that the menu navigation is slow, the battery life is terrible, the laser doesn't stay on long enough, it takes multiple tries to print a label, and most importantly, the radio turns off as soon as it goes to sleep (resulting in NOACK).

How a huge corporation could invest in such poor technology should be surprising. But at this company it isn't.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Today, at my warehouse gig, I noticed the customer had a PP2. Yes a PowerPad2. Only difference was, the keys all illuminate and it doesn't have the FedEx shell on it, so all the functions are available. That includes the camera and the internet, the phone portion needed a passcode to use.

Very interesting....

Apparently, there is some key stroke to get the buttons to light up.
I haven't figured it out yet. Maybe I should drop mine on the ground a few more times.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have seen customer receiving departments use these as well. Motorola must have some good salespeople.

The problem is, these could have been such an improvement if they'd only solicited some feedback from couriers. After a week-long test, anyone could have told them that the menu navigation is slow, the battery life is terrible, the laser doesn't stay on long enough, it takes multiple tries to print a label, and most importantly, the radio turns off as soon as it goes to sleep (resulting in NOACK).

How a huge corporation could invest in such poor technology should be surprising. But at this company it isn't.

Ignoring us is SOP. At leading edge companies (the kind that get benchmarked), upper management realizes that frontline employees are a valuable resource of knowledge, and they utilize that knowledge to make good, informed decisions. We aren't that kind of company.

FedEx practices Applied Mushroom Management (AMM). That's where they bury us in sheet, completely ignore us, and expect us to "grow" as employees. Guess what? It doesn't work, and upper management makes Continually Retarded Decisions (CRD), like deciding to buy a crap product like the PP2 without any significant frontline employee input.

MT3 is the chief architect of CRD, and he has ensured that this highly effective process has been applied throughout the corporation.