Proposed Universal Policing Reforms

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
The elimination of police forces in some cities is pretty much just stupid (IMO) but there may be some changes that are needed and would help to guard against abuse against any person.
I am a Fiscal and Social Libertarian so my beliefs in this area are based on the non-aggression principle which states that no human being holds the right to initiate force or fraud against the person or property of another human being under any circumstances.
Natural-rights libertarianism, also known as deontological libertarianism, is the theory that all individuals possess certain natural or moral rights, mainly a right of individual sovereignty and that therefore acts of initiation of force and fraud are rights-violations and that is sufficient reason to oppose those acts.
Deontological libertarians consider this principle to be the basis of all morality and therefore believe that any violation of the principle is immoral, no matter what other arguments may be invoked to justify that violation.

I personally think, that changes to policing should also be accompanied by changes in Laws and Judiciary if it is going to be effective ... that however, is another thread.

The police force is in place to protect the citizens

Some proposed changes that I agree with are:
  • Allow police officers discretion to give advice and council to lawbreakers of minor misdemeanors instead of arresting
  • Eliminate any permanent confiscation of property or other assets
  • No stopping of vehicles unless their is an immediate and imminent danger to others in traffic
  • No 'sting' operations
  • No choke holds for any reason
  • No neck holds
  • No head strikes
  • No using of excessive force against persons in handcuffs.
  • No stop-and-frisk unless a crime has been observed by the police officer
  • No no-knock warrants
  • All police officers involved in engagement with a citizen must wear a functioning body camera
    • No criminal charges will be valid if in an arrest, if the body camera is not active
  • No Police Union intervention if a Police Officer is charged with a crime
  • Eliminate qualified immunity
  • Create a national registry to track police misconduct
  • Eliminate internal investigations into alleged police transgressions
    • Establish community citizen boards that review alleged police transgressions
  • Prohibition of ticketing and arrest quotas
  • Require supervisory approval before someone can be arrested for “failure to comply,” “resisting arrest,” “disorderly conduct,” or “disturbing the peace”

vantexan

The elimination of police forces in some cities is pretty much just stupid (IMO) but there may be some changes that are needed and would help to guard against abuse against any person.
I am a Fiscal and Social Libertarian so my beliefs in this area are based on the non-aggression principle which states that no human being holds the right to initiate force or fraud against the person or property of another human being under any circumstances.
Natural-rights libertarianism, also known as deontological libertarianism, is the theory that all individuals possess certain natural or moral rights, mainly a right of individual sovereignty and that therefore acts of initiation of force and fraud are rights-violations and that is sufficient reason to oppose those acts.
Deontological libertarians consider this principle to be the basis of all morality and therefore believe that any violation of the principle is immoral, no matter what other arguments may be invoked to justify that violation.

I personally think, that changes to policing should also be accompanied by changes in Laws and Judiciary if it is going to be effective ... that however, is another thread.

• Allow police officers discretion to give advice and council to lawbreakers of minor misdemeanors instead of arresting
  • No stopping of vehicles unless their is an immediate and imminent danger to others in traffic
  • No 'sting' operations
  • No neck holds
  • No head strikes
  • No no-knock warrants
  • All police officers involved in engagement with a citizen must wear a functioning body camera
    • No criminal charges will be valid if in an arrest, if the body camera is not active
  • Require supervisory approval before someone can be arrested for “failure to comply,” “resisting arrest,” “disorderly conduct,” or “disturbing the peace”
So basically strip the police of the ability to do their job. Might as well defund.

• No 'sting' operations
  • No neck holds
  • No head strikes
  • No no-knock warrants
How about, don't be a criminal! then you don't have to worry about getting arrested.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Some points covered, but WtF is internal affairs division about? They're corrupted as well?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

Some points covered, but WtF is internal affairs division about? They're corrupted as well?
That's why you eliminate them and replace with a community citizen based review board.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Police officers know about the job, not common citizens.

even though some citizens are versed in the law, u know most aren't objective and lack common sense.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Watch how fast the cop haters here call 911 if someone was shooting up their neighborhood, or if a family member needed medical help, fire, lost child, or other threat.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Watch how fast the cop haters here call 911 if someone was shooting up their neighborhood, or if a family member needed medical help, fire, lost child, or other threat.
That's painting with a broad brush ... I don't hate police.
I just think there needs to be boundaries around their power.
The powers of deduction allowed reminds me of the fantasies that LibTurds make up about Trump and to be fair, that RePugs made up about Obama.

oldngray

nowhere special
The powers of deduction allowed reminds me of the fantasies that LibTurds make up about Trump and to be fair, that RePugs made up about Obama.
cool-hand-luke-quotes-3.gif

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Cops are given more power because they are protecting us from people with no boundaries.

Most of the stuff on your crackpot list gives criminals free reign to get away with crime.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
NY lawmakers pass bill that releases officer disciplinary records through FOIL*

State lawmakers spent Tuesday continuing to pass police reform bills — chief among them, the controversial 50-a repeal and replace bill requiring release of law enforcement disciplinary records subject to Freedom Of Information Laws.*

Other measures that passed the Senate and are expected to clear the Assembly include:
  • a bill that expands the state police’s body camera program
  • one requiring emergency services be provided to suspects that need medical attention
  • one that prohibits “racial profiling”
The bill — carried by Assemblyman Daniel O’Donnell (D-Manhattan) and state Sen. Jamaal Bailey (D-The Bronx) — along with nine others, prompted state lawmakers to return to Albany via Zoom and in person to pass police reform bills in the wake of George Floyd’s death at the hands of Minnesota cop Derek Chauvin.

“That knee on Mr. Floyds neck was a wakeup call for America. We need policing reform,” a noticeably frustrated Bailey said.
“That doesn’t mean we’re anti-police … it just means that we had to change a few things — but people just weren’t listening before.”

Republicans argued the legislation could expose officers to unfair, targeted attacks if “substantiated” and “unsubstantiated” claims are released to the public.
“The overwhelming amount of police officers and police agencies are honest, decent public servants who work hard each and every day to keep our communities safe,” GOP Senator (R-Elma), a former state trooper and Erie County sheriff, argued.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Cops are given more power because they are protecting us from people with no boundaries.

Most of the stuff on your crackpot list gives criminals free reign to get away with crime.
Maybe but it creates an atmosphere in which citizens do not fear the police but look to the police to protect them.

That is probably worth the fact that a few people actually get away with harming other people.
Most of our laws that police are required to enforce do not involve the suspect hurting someone else.