PT Sup

Hollymaze023

I been a preloader for 6 months and was asked to be pt sup. I’m will be going to school for business management next year thought it would look good on my resume in the future. I don’t plan on being at UPS my whole life. I was pretty good friends with the union steward but now he’s giving me the dirtiest and doesn’t talk to me anymore kinda makes me feel uncomfortable. Is it possible to go back to preloader? I really don’t want to leave as the hours work for me.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I been a preloader for 6 months and was asked to be pt sup. I’m will be going to school for business management next year thought it would look good on my resume in the future. I don’t plan on being at UPS my whole life. I was pretty good friends with the union steward but now he’s giving me the dirtiest and doesn’t talk to me anymore kinda makes me feel uncomfortable. Is it possible to go back to preloader? I really don’t want to leave as the hours work for me.

Once you cross that line
There’s no going back

Tanktoptony

Worst possible career choice you could make going pt sup. They pay next to nothing and you end up becoming a salaried employee covering the work you do now when people don’t show up, it’s a dead end. Better management experience at McDonald’s

DriverNerd

You're stuck once you switch. If you already did it's just best to accept it, do your job, make some money, and go home. No use dwelling on it.

StackedOut’n’Vibing

cardboard peasant
I’ve been debating this as well but don’t think I will swap from preload to supe. At my hub the PT supes make $2 more than the loaders, but they get a lot more hours.

Major downsides are:
1) gotta wear a silly polo shirt so everyone knows you’re in mgmt
2) you’re the kicking dog of literally everyone above you
3) can’t put in both headphones and disassociate at work while listening to audio books, podcasts, music
4) have to deal with internal hub politics
5) job security is gone without the union

I’d rather pay my dues and have the stability of knowing I’m working X amount of hours every week and not have to put up with any pressure from higher ups trying to get their production numbers up. As a lowly preloader I know what’s expected and can plan the rest of my life accordingly around that. Even when the volume is high I know I just have to keep going at a steady pace and there’s literally no stress. Easiest job in the world once your body adjusts to it. Becoming a supe would take all that away for what, $2 more and some extra hours? No thanks

nWo

Does your building offer money for school for pt sups? If they do it might be worth it. If not then it seems like a bad decision. I know several pt sups with 10+ years that are still pt. Some of which went and finished school too .
Advancement opportunities for pt sups are almost non-existent. FYI. PT sups don't get promoted either because they are useless or because they are really good. If you are actually one of the rare good pt sups then management has no incentive to promote you.

Personally I think it would be better to stay as a pt union member. Then once you finish school look for opportunities elsewhere. You may not be able to find anything worthwhile. It's good to have UPS as a backup.