Question About Early Retirement and Pension Lump Sum Distribution

ThePackageDeli

I'm hoping someone here can help me figure this out, or point me in the direction of someone who can...

If an employee quits or "retires" after 20 years with UPS, and are younger than age 50, how are their accrued pension credits handled?

Are they given a lump sum distribution based on actuarial tables?

Any clarity on this will be helpful, thank you!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm hoping someone here can help me figure this out, or point me in the direction of someone who can...

If an employee quits or "retires" after 20 years with UPS, and are younger than age 50, how are their accrued pension credits handled?

Nope.

You would receive a reduced pension when you turn 65 because you would not have the required years or service or minimum age required to receive a normal (full). If you had the age but not the years you would lose 6% for every year that you left early. Conversely, if you had the years but not the age, you could freeze your pension and start collecting when you reach the required age.

Thebrownblob

You won’t get much. Sorry.

ThePackageDeli

Nope.

You would receive a reduced pension when you turn 65 because you would not have the required years or service or minimum age required to receive a normal (full). If you had the age but not the years you would lose 6% for every year that you left early. Conversely, if you had the years but not the age, you could freeze your pension and start collecting when you reach the required age.
I would lose 6% per year only if I chose to receive the pension early, correct? But I do have the choice to wait til age 65 to receive it?

ThePackageDeli

I have a family member who left UPS after 14 years and received a pension lump sum when he left. That's what leads me to think the same may apply to a 20 year scenario.

I have a family member who left UPS after 14 years and received a pension lump sum when he left. That's what leads me to think the same may apply to a 20 year scenario.
The only people I know that got a pension payout was the part-timers under the UPS pension plan.

Most of the pension plans do not allow lump sum distributions anymore.