Question on Union and dues.

chopstic

You won't be able to work at both unless you keep it a secret had a guy in my hub who had to quit his rural route at the post office when he was hired as a pre-loader like drewed said conflict of interest.

Does UPS have us sign a "no-competition" statement when we are hired. I can't ever remember signing one.

chopstic

I had to do this last year.. I got around the $320 mark for initiation fees so I was like YEAH next check I should be good.. got the next check and the damn fees started back to $0 again... and NO it was not the start of a new year or anything like that.. got that corrected and never had another issue.

damn... is it up to $320 just for initiation. When i started it was $175.

Nitelite

Initiation here has been $400 since 1995.

As far as working at UPS and a competitor, at least here it was ok. I worked for both RPS and UPS in the late 90s as they were right down the street from each other. In fact, 75% of the people I worked with at RPS also worked at UPS (there was only like 12 of us total, was a small hub). Management was well aware of it and never said anything.

You guys also like to generalize a lot. Each region does things very differently. Upstate brought up how fair it is doing the same work as others but getting a substantially different rate. On our sort aisle, we have part timers, combo workers, and 125s all doing the same work and making vastly different amounts for it.

Also, here part time insurance is the exact same as full timers.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I do not understand why the union thinks it needs to charge a ptimer $400 initiation for a job that pays $8.50. Here its $50 for a ptiler and $100 for a ftimer, now that is more than reasonable. The minimum dues a ptimer pays here is $22 a month. Everything else is 2.5 your hourly rate.

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
I finally finished paying off the initation fee, the union took away $17 out of this weeks paycheck, plus the United Way 09 $3 that I signed up for, so Im still getting $20 deducted. Will the union dues change every week, or its set at $17?

EDIT: Nevermind, someone already answered it above.

chopstic

wow.. i guess i didn't realize how nice i have it, being where i am. We only pay 2x our hourly wage (not 2.5x) a month for union dues and we only pay $175 for initiation. I cant believe that it varies that much based on region. $400 for part time initiation + 2.5x union dues is a large portion of someones yearly income when they're only working part time.

evilleace

I am in 710 we have a $50 initiation fee and then it is 2.5x our hourly wage for the month which is $23.75 a month. those initiation fees are crazy there is no way they need to take that much.

gandydancer

... Remember this though The Union doesn't take anything out of your check. UPS does. They make mistakes and sometimes charge you twice or even more. That is a UPS mistake so you should be able to take it up with your supervisor to get it fixed...

Again, UPS doesn't calculate the deductions. Initiation, dues, fines (working nights exempts me from being fined for not showing up to enough meetings each quarter, but I pay a $65 picket duty assessment each year by deduction from my paycheck for not doing without sleep to show up and stuff envilopes or hand out political info, etc.), misc. fees (when I nearly died from untreated diabetes they had me send them a check for $0.50 to process a membership withdrawal -- but then took dues anyway for a month when my only pay from UPS was for the Fourth of July! -- but then didn't cash it, but took $0.50 out of a subsequent paycheck and sent the check back) are all added up by the union and sent to UPS for collection. It's in the contract. And I've never heard of UPS not handing over to the union every penny they deduct. So if too much is taken it's the union you need to deal with.

Does UPS have us sign a "no-competition" statement when we are hired. I can't ever remember signing one.

UPS can choose not to hire you if you work for a competitor. But I don't think they can fire you merely for going to work for a competitor.

Initiation here has been $400 since 1995... Also, here part time insurance is the exact same as full timers.

$400!? See below...

And do the 12-18 month delays in qualifying for insurance apply to ft?

I do not understand why the union thinks it needs to charge a ptimer $400 initiation for a job that pays $8.50...

http://www.tdu.org/files/final.pdf

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
You won't be able to work at both unless you keep it a secret had a guy in my hub who had to quit his rural route at the post office when he was hired as a pre-loader like drewed said conflict of interest.
More likely he had to quit USPS because (as a preloader) he didn't have 10 hours off before he would start his USPS route. Assuming USPS has to comply with DOT regs (title 49 CFR part 395)