Question to current contractors: do these numbers look right?

Purplepackage

When has $15/hr become slave wages? What is a livable wage? 36k/yr for a single man, or 72k for a couple seems like a livable wage in the South to me.

If you want ups wages then go work at ups. It's like ppl whining about mcd paying $8.50/hr, well get your sh1t together, go across the street and be a waitress so u can make double that. But no applebees all that work for $16/hr I'll never do that right? Ur the type that'll sit there and whine all day about how mcd should be forced to increase their wages by the gubment instead of getting your level/education up.

As long as you have that i want more pay, less work mindset, youll always be an employee.

Are you going to be a driver/owner or are you hiring a driver/manager to take care of certain issues? Like when someone just doesn’t show up in the morning

bacha29

Says the man that is currently sitting back collecting checks from the hard work of others. Lol
But unlike you I drove a route myself from the first day i was there until the last day I was there......and unlike you I wouldn't make people go out and work in weather conditions I wouldn't work in myself.......If they were out there.... I was out there with them.

It will be fine

But unlike you I drove a route myself from the first day i was there until the last day I was there......and unlike you I wouldn't make people go out and work in weather conditions I wouldn't work in myself.......If they were out there.... I was out there with them.
Until you sold some poor sucker an asset you claim has no value and demand he pay you while forcing other people to do work you now refuse to do. Cool cool.

bacha29

Until you sold some poor sucker an asset you claim has no value and demand he pay you while forcing other people to do work you now refuse to do. Cool cool.
Creative and funny huh? Just another snide remark coming from another arrogant Boston Masshole. Now to get to the facts. If I refused to do that work then why is there a current DOT medical card in my wallet? It's because I don't HAVE to do it. Secondly, the offer to buy my contract was unsolicited . The final outrage which compelled me to accept his offer was being ordered a couple of weeks earlier by X to turn over to them my private payroll records for their evaluation and audit in complete and willful violation of US law. And I'm quite certain that by this time you " Mr. Successful Businessman" has had to turn over to X your payroll records at least once but probably more than once and being the company's coffee boy you "Mr. Successful Businessman" whimpered and rolled over on your back like a trained dog , and meekly handed your records over to them and gave them a kiss.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Bud, I'm not working at Applebee's or McDonald's, I already make a decent wage and have an education.

I take issue with mainly your first comment; labour is in like at 45%, could definitely be lower. What that reads to me is you don't care about the people you plan on hiring. You'll pay them :censored2: wages, profit and be comfortable off of them busting their ass for what you consider a "liveable wage".

Here's how it works. He'll get some people that will appreciate $15/hour because no one else will pay them that much. They won't be as good as people who could earn $20/hour elsewhere, but they'll be better than people whose work isn't worth much more than $10/hour.

Why are people so ignorant about labor economics?

When is the last time you lived off the "liveable wage" of $15/hour? Because I can tell you with certainty, that is not a livable wage where I am from. You even had a response from someone who lives in Florida saying $15/hour is not a livable wage.

One person on a message board said she couldn't live on that, so I guess that settles it!

It will be fine

Creative and funny huh? Just another snide remark coming from another arrogant Boston Masshole. Now to get to the facts. If I refused to do that work then why is there a current DOT medical card in my wallet? It's because I don't HAVE to do it. Secondly, the offer to buy my contract was unsolicited . The final outrage which compelled me to accept his offer was being ordered a couple of weeks earlier by X to turn over to them my private payroll records for their evaluation and audit in complete and willful violation of US law. And I'm quite certain that by this time you " Mr. Successful Businessman" has had to turn over to X your payroll records at least once but probably more than once and being the company's coffee boy you "Mr. Successful Businessman" whimpered and rolled over on your back like a trained dog , and meekly handed your records over to them and gave them a kiss.
Whatever helps you sleep at night. You cry about how there isn’t enough money to operate in your area but saddled someone else with massive debt forcing them to pay you everything the route makes while you sit at home. The hypocrisy is obscene.

It will be fine

Here's how it works. He'll get some people that will appreciate $15/hour because no one else will pay them that much. They won't be as good as people who could earn $20/hour elsewhere, but they'll be better than people whose work isn't worth much more than $10/hour.

Why are people so ignorant about labor economics?

One person on a message board said she couldn't live on that, so I guess that settles it!
People like to be self righteous and act like there’s a moral failing when employers pay a market level wage. These guys also like to feel superior to the people doing their jobs for less as if they have better skills or are somehow more deserving of better money. I think it’s just delusion.

It will be fine

So, you wouldn't recommend it but this guy and dano believe paying someone poverty wages is acceptable.
If it’s acceptable for the employee, and it is if they are willing to do the work for that compensation, who are you or I to say differently? I imagine we’ve all done jobs that we felt underpaid us. We worked to get better jobs, I don’t see the problem.

Purplepackage

If it’s acceptable for the employee, and it is if they are willing to do the work for that compensation, who are you or I to say differently? I imagine we’ve all done jobs that we felt underpaid us. We worked to get better jobs, I don’t see the problem.

So when you hire someone do you tell them that you hope they don’t stay long? That they should only use this as a filler for employment?

When people hear Fedex they don’t think interim employment, they think wow I found a career now

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
So, you wouldn't recommend it but this guy and dano believe paying someone poverty wages is acceptable.
Poverty Thresholds Versus Poverty Guidelines for Households With Four People, 2017

Household Size and Composition

Poverty Threshold / Poverty Guideline

Two parents, two children $24,858 / $25,100

One adult, three children $24,944

Four unrelated adults $12,752 (for each adult under age 65) $11,756 (for each adult age 65 or older)

One adult (mother), two children (family 1), one unrelated adult under age 65 (family 2)
$19,749 (family 1)/ $12,752 (family 2)

Two parents, one child, one relative (for example, aunt)
$25,696

According to these 2017 (latest figures) results, your $30,000+ income ISN'Tn poverty wages.
U.S. Poverty Thresholds and Poverty Guidelines: What’s the Difference? – Population Reference Bureau

It will be fine

So when you hire someone do you tell them that you hope they don’t stay long? That they should only use this as a filler for employment?

When people hear Fedex they don’t think interim employment, they think wow I found a career now
I don’t really care how long they stay. It doesn’t take long to train someone. When they get better jobs, as long as they give me proper notice, I shake their hand and wish them well. Manual labor shouldn’t be a career.

vantexan

People like to be self righteous and act like there’s a moral failing when employers pay a market level wage. These guys also like to feel superior to the people doing their jobs for less as if they have better skills or are somehow more deserving of better money. I think it’s just delusion.
It's when employers get after other employers for failing to pay a wage that they say everyone deserves to have a life, then refuse to pay more themselves, that's when there's a moral failing and a fair bit of hypocrisy.