Question what year did UPS-branded socks first come into existence?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Necropostophiliac, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Necropostophiliac

Necropostophiliac Well-Known Member

2. Dracula

Dracula Package Car is cake compared to this...

I think--but I'm not positive--in '92 or '93.
  3. BrownArmy

BrownArmy Well-Known Member

You decide.
  4. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Building a time machine so you can go back and get cheaper higher quality ones?
  5. texan

texan Well-Known Member

They came out with the shorts?
  6. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Yes sir.

NHDRVR New Member

I would agree...around that time
  8. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

I remember having to buy the shorts and socks together. I'll never forget the first guy getting them. It's like we were looking at an alien. The socks had the stripe instead of the logo.
  9. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

I'm thinking no.
  10. klein

klein Für Meno :)

I would say, must have been when UPS started to stink ! ;)
  11. cachsux

cachsux Wah

It tends to stink when you flush the crap out of the system. Like around July 2009 for instance.
  12. jaker

jaker trolling

I gave up on the socks , I have spent 100 bucks on them over the years and I don't have one left to put over my fire place

Right now I wear low cut black ones , but I have a backup plan if the man comes down on me

I pick up some brown clothes dye to turn white comfortable socks into brown ones
  13. Necropostophiliac

Necropostophiliac Well-Known Member

You would have to dye them Pullman Brown. :happy-very:

As a Necro look what I found:

Why Brown?
    Soderstrom is responsible for the famous UPS Brown as the company’s standard color. With the first Model T Ford painted
    red, it stood out. However, an advertising man told Jim Casey that yellow was the most conspicuous color, so they painted
    the second car yellow as they wanted to be conspicuous.
    They had different schools of thought when it came to painting the third car, Jim Casey recalled. If they painted
    it a third color, perhaps the public might think they had a great many more vehicles than they actually had.
    The other idea was to paint them all the same color to create a standard fleet. After much discussion, Casey
    remembered, they decided to adopt the conspicuous yellow as the standard color for the fleet.

Soderstrom knew how the department stores would react to the bright yellow fleet and was appalled
    when he learned of that decision. He explained that the department stores saw their own vehicles as a form
    of advertising. For the stores to disband their own fleets and turn their parcels over to a company
    like Merchants Parcel Delivery, they would want the change to be subtle and scarcely noticed.

He argued for a much more conservative color. The other partners, once empowered with that new
    viewpoint, agreed.

Soderstrom, in looking for the proper conservative color, discussed the dilemma with an old
    carriage painter named Charlie Place. Place told him about the recent experiments run by a railroad
    sleeper-car company named Pullman. Pullman wanted their rail cars to look as clean as possible even
    when out on the tracks subject to the elements of rain, snow and dust.

Their experiments resulted in Pullman Brown, a distinctive color that blended well with the dirt.

So the first Merchants Parcel Delivery fleet was painted Pullman Brown. During the early
    years the exact color changed slightly to become the UPS Brown in use today.

Read more:

HEFFERNAN Huge Member

Most of the uniforms are more like Pullman Green !!! lol
  15. 728ups

728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

I can remember buying these in bulk and selling them on E bay for 4 or 5 times what iI paid for them,until Ebay forbid any type of uniforms from being sold after the 9/11 attacks
  16. texan

texan Well-Known Member

I believe the shorts and socks were 1991.

Am I allowed to post the source? It is on
  17. Dracula

Dracula Package Car is cake compared to this...

Or, he just liked brown....