R.I.P. Walter Cronkite

bigbrownhen

I was so surprised to see this on the web today after work. What a life he lead, the things he reported on in his lifetime, what an accomplishment. May he rest in peace.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
He was called "The Most Trusted Man in America", he was a class act all the way. I remember watching him growing up. When I was in school, we used to watch a series called "You Were There", in which Cronkite narrated recreations of historic events. He was always impartial while on camera, which is the way news should be reported. Too bad some reporters today haven't caught on to that.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
He was called "The Most Trusted Man in America", he was a class act all the way. I remember watching him growing up. When I was in school, we used to watch a series called "You Were There", in which Cronkite narrated recreations of historic events. He was always impartial while on camera, which is the way news should be reported. Too bad some reporters today haven't caught on to that.

You mean like his hand-picked successor Dan Rather?

Last edited:

browndevil

Back in 1996 San Francisco was dedicating and area to long time writer and columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle Herb Caen. Walter Cronkite and the then mayor of SF Willie Brown were getting in a car together to start the parade. I was at the right place at the right time, I put my hand out and said "it is a pleasure to meet you Mr. Cronkite" and he took it and shook my hand and said thank you.
RIP Mr. Cronkite and thank you for putting us kids to bed without a worry in the world