Railroad Act?

MassWineGuy

I'm a new hire. Could someone please explain the important/relevant aspects of the Railroad Act that cover FedEx employees?

MassWineGuy

Thanks. Yes, it's depressing that we can't vote for union representation station by station. Yes, of course FedEx is an airline. And I'm the King of England.

Aside from the union thing, does the act have any protections for FedEx employees? FOr example, a driver I rode with yesterday told me that because we're covered by this we can't be laid off or fired for some insignificant or made up reason.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thanks. Yes, it's depressing that we can't vote for union representation station by station. Yes, of course FedEx is an airline. And I'm the King of England.

Aside from the union thing, does the act have any protections for FedEx employees? FOr example, a driver I rode with yesterday told me that because we're covered by this we can't be laid off or fired for some insignificant or made up reason.

That all depends on the state you're in. Most states are "at-will" states, meaning that FedEx can fire one for whatever reason they want. The only thing protecting employees is FedEx policy itself. Or if it is superceded by law, such as discrimination.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The driver you rode with is drinking the Kool-Aid because the RLA has no protections for workers oher than arcane language that allows unionization under a strict all or nothing mandate. FedEx is most definitely "at-will", and can and will fire you for any reason at all.

The "protection" aspect of the RLA falls under the FedEx PR campaign, which has always stressed that unions were corrupt, full of thugs, and would create an unprofitable company subject to frequent layoffs. None of this is even remotely true, but watch for variations of this theme as the workforce gets increasingly cranky. The BBQ Squad will start serving the above BS along with your crap sandwich, bag of chips, and can of soda.

MassWineGuy

I pretty much thought the company could get rid of someone for any reason. Maybe the fact that they're severely short-staffed (at least in Mass.) would influence such a decision.

vantexan

I pretty much thought the company could get rid of someone for any reason. Maybe the fact that they're severely short-staffed (at least in Mass.) would influence such a decision.
Over the years in many stations the only couriers I've seen fired were those who violated company policies concerning serious offenses. If you do your job, if you don't get in accidents, don't steal, don't make sexual advances, don't make racist remarks, don't get 3 warning letters in a 12 month period, don't strike a coworker or customer, don't swear at a customer, etc you can stay as long as you like. The emphasis on this forum is on how bad management is but often the biggest source of aggravation at many stations will be some of your coworkers. FedEx stations are hotbeds of gossip and cliquish. Getting through many years without punching an a**hole out is an accomplishment. Major reason FedEx has a no tolerance policy for workplace violence is fights would be a regular feature without it. The flip side of that is many know people won't retaliate so they hide behind the company's skirts saying all manner of vicious remarks and then deny it if management is brought in. Stations are fishbowls with a limited amount of time daily for people to interact before going onroad so the stress manifests itself a bit more intensely than what you might experience at other companies. Love being a domiciled courier, keeps all the drama away.

i read the rail road act from what understand is you can not walk off or strike because of labor dispute it states you can talk union and organize without reprisal there's nothing that says they can make you work longer.Read it maybe im wrong.We as employees have limited rights but everyone needs to get on the same boat and stick together check out state and federal laws

Last edited: