Rehire- seniority status

ronanjhawkfan

Hey everybody. I worked at UPS for four years until about two months ago when I got offered a full time job with a paper copany and I had to take it since I wasn't gettting on full time at UPS. Well the paper company laid me off after only a month and now I am back with UPS. I was wondering if I still get to keep my seniority. I have heard from dozens of people saying I do but also that I don't. I heard if your gone less than a year then you keep your seniority. I was only gone six weeks. I also heard theres some type leave of absence policy. If anyone has any info on the subject I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

1000RR

I don't know where you are located, but I'm in the central region and my supplement states

"The seniority of an employee shall be considered BROKEN for the following reasons, and the employee shall be considered terminated:

- IF THE EMPLOYEE RESIGNS VOLUNTARILY.

-
if the employee is discharged and such discharge is not set aside through the grievance procedure.

- if the employee is laid off for a period of three (3) years or his/her length of seniority, whichever is less; or,

- if the employee fails to report to work for three (3) consecutive working days and does not properly notify the Employer at the beginning of his/her starting time on the third (3rd) day."

Your supplement may be different but if you quit voluntarily I doubt you will get your seniority back.