Report: UPS, FedEx struggling to keep pace with holiday e-commerce explosion

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Report: UPS, FedEx struggling to keep pace with holiday e-commerce explosion - Retail Dive

Dive Brief:
  • Shippers United Parcel Service and FedEx are struggling to keep up with the record numbers of e-commerce orders this holiday season and are stretching delivery times on some routes, suspending on-time delivery guarantees and refunds in some cases, and no longer promising delivery times in other instances, The Wall Street Journal reports.
  • UPS in particular has brought hundreds of workers from its headquarters and other corporate offices to assist with operations at hubs facing the greatest difficulty, people familiar with the matter told the Journal.
  • Even so, on-time delivery rates have been slightly down since Thanksgiving compared to other times of the year for both shippers, according an analysis of millions of packages by software developer ShipMatrix cited by the Journal.

bbsam

Staff member
I don't think it's a matter of the center plans. It's that we have many hubs that have been outdated for 20+ years and they can't handle the volume.
And yet the companies let it all flood in whether the infrastructure can handle it or the workforce. Something isn't right with that.

You are right about the buildings. The two local locations haven't changed at all in 30 years (that's not an exaggeration BTW).

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
And yet the companies let it all flood in whether the infrastructure can handle it or the workforce. Something isn't right with that.

You are right about the buildings. The two local locations haven't changed at all in 30 years (that's not an exaggeration BTW).
Would rather take the bad PR that we tried but couldn't quiet get it done. Over the bad PR that we refused to even try?

Ghost in the Darkness

I'm rooting for failure across the board. I'm hoping for angry customers who ordered stuff at the last minute and didn't get it. I'm rooting against the companies who under staff and try to slave drive its workers (the ones who are getting things but are still told not good enough). I'm wishing for snow.
I want the grinch to steal Christmas from the greedy and those last minute shoppers (yeah the one's who say "Aren't you out kinda late?!")