"Rolling Volume"

rushfan

For the past 2 fridays, the CACH load here has been "exception scanned" delivery to Monday. Today, half a CACH load was unloaded, and the other was conviently loaded into a different trailer. The tracking shows out for delivery, then was "exceptioned" an hour later "delay due to weather". The weather here is 45 degrees and cloudy. No snow on the roads. Time in transit was all on time, until the volume reached our center. About 20% of the volume was exceptioned.

What's your take?!?

IMHO it's dishonesty. Sure the volume was heavy, and the drivers would have a long day, but at least we are providing service to our CUSTOMERS, and not making the stats for the center.

RoBo

UPS robot no more
Aha!! the answer is simple guys.... It's the whole 9.5 driver thing! the center in question must have had plenty of drivers that were in need of their 9.5 or else grievances would be paid. Better to bite the hand that feeds you than let the cat eat out of your dish...

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I found out this week that a couple of UPS accounts who next day payroll to my area have gone elsewhere. I guess they didnt enjoy our "deliver air in trace" policy during a month of snowstorms !

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Maybe it has more to do with volume through out the system that has been delayed due to weather. Sad thing that you and I look at this and are embarrassed. At FedEx Ground they do this in an even larger scale. At my brothers Ground Hub they will not send out a trailer until its 100% full. End result is that one of his pickups were asking him why their boxes had not been delivered in 4 days yet. The packages were traveling less then 90 miles. So you see that customers could go elsewhere but the grass is definitely not greener over there.

TheDick

I've seen the same around here. Division Mgr wants to cut cars or have ligit excuse to cuttem, so he hold back loads and put drivers on lay-off status maybe workem wednesday to friday. Center mgr tells us volume isnt there so cant run normal number of routes. Gotta love those numbers.
Go find some new business eh? Oh and maintain the acct we have.
NOT

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Race you are absolutely correct there is no excuse for it at all. My point is just that as bad as we seem at times our competition is no better and usually much worse then us. Either way it is still an embarrassment.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We are a satellite center and on an extremely rare occasion we will have a partial load that will come in late (usually during peak, but not always) and it will be exceptioned til the next day. It has nothing to do with our weather. It has everything to do with the time involved in unloading and getting the drivers out the door.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We are a satellite center and on an extremely rare occasion we will have a partial load that will come in late (usually during peak, but not always) and it will be exceptioned til the next day. It has nothing to do with our weather. It has everything to do with the time involved in unloading and getting the drivers out the door.

There comes a point when mgt has to decide what's worth the time and what isn't. It sucks for the customer sometimes but it is what it is. To spend an extra hour unloading and not have the drivers out the door until 10 is NOT cost effective.

rushfan

Yep, the whole thing has to do with getting the drivers out the door, so it shows good on the new center manager's report. I call it dishonesty, and "burning" packages. We would get written up for No such street, can't find it, ect. I was going to call the dishonesty hotline, but what good will it do if others are doing it. I only wish I had a package on that trailer. I would call and say I know for a fact which trailer it went into (i have the trailer numbers). I would demand someone unload it....even thought I'm a UPS employee, I'm also a customer.