Salary Compare Contrast

vantexan

How many jobs do you know of where you stay until all the work is done. Literally all of it. Nothing is left for the next day. Everyone’s desk is completely clean… Very few jobs. It’s the MANAGERS job to communicate to the engineers and make sure these 8 hour routes have 8 hours of work. If there are 8 hour routes with 11 hours of work, well then the manager has some hiring/restructuring to do. The “well this place is just a mess, sorry” excuse isn’t gonna cut it much longer.
It's always been my theory that they purposely hold down raises to make people grudgingly stay for the extra money. Rarely saw topped out people working Saturdays in most of my stations.

!Retired!

Now I’m curious, care to share what station that is? Feel free to dm if you don’t want to post it.
If it's the station I'm thinking of, about 6-7 years ago, when there was no hiring issues, they had 8 openings for couriers. They actually needed more than that. Thanks to my, then, senior manager, I did not transfer there.
Ever notice how the most flexibility is demanded from the day side? Imagine telling a 2nd shift pickup driver that starts at 1400, that he has to be able to come in at 10am if needed. Good luck with that. But if a morning driver has to leave, not early, but ON TIME,… well then he’s a lazy POS.
I'm not sure how long you've been with the company, or how old you are, but there is no such as 'on time'. You can stick your chest out, huff and puff and talk all the tough talk you want, when your job is done, you go home. You need to make practice, a doctors appointment, etc, you speak to your manager, loopmates, etc and work it out that way.

FWIW.....I NEVER missed an appointment, practice, meet, tournament, etc etc because of work, and in 22 years I have brought back unattemped packages ONCE, and only because they pulled me off the road so they can use my truck for the PM
How many jobs do you know of where you stay until all the work is done. Literally all of it. Nothing is left for the next day.
I know a few. I hear from my step-girls a lot how their step-mom HAS to work late.
It's always been my theory that they purposely hold down raises to make people grudgingly stay for the extra money. Rarely saw topped out people working Saturdays in most of my stations.
I just topped out last October. Besides PEAK, I don't remember the last time I worked a Saturday. It has to be at least 10 years

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
How many jobs do you know of where you stay until all the work is done. Literally all of it. Nothing is left for the next day. Everyone’s desk is completely clean… Very few jobs. It’s the MANAGERS job to communicate to the engineers and make sure these 8 hour routes have 8 hours of work. If there are 8 hour routes with 11 hours of work, well then the manager has some hiring/restructuring to do. The “well this place is just a mess, sorry” excuse isn’t gonna cut it much longer with these drivers who don’t want the hours.
There are ways to fix it so you don't get any hours. Would you prefer that?

59 Dano

Correction. “My kid has soccer practice AFTER my scheduled hours, therefore I already did my job.. see ya tomorrow”.

You’re not a very good manager so I don’t expect you to understand that. Those types of hard working employees who prioritize family are just “lazy” inconveniences for you. I’m a 5-8, 40 hour employee. I do everything I can in those hours. I do my job. YOU’RE a manager, so do your job and properly staff the operation….. or do we need to hear your excuses of “the pay makes hiring hard, nobody wants to work anymore. My 8 hour employees won’t work 12 hours wah wah wah wah”.
Do my job properly? Ok. The first time you bring back unattempted freight, OLCC and you're reminded what your expectations are. Second time you bring it back, warning letter for violating the acceptable conduct policy (insubordination). Third time, you're terminated for violating the acceptable conduct policy (insubordination).

Enjoy that free time.

59 Dano

It happens DAILY at my station. We are so short staffed and poorly managed that our managers will let entire routes sit on a truck in the station for the entire day, unattempted. Couriers bring back packages all the time. This is a different company. Fortunately, I have one more work week to go then its on to retirement and a career change. I am looking forward to a new life where I can succeed and be happy at my job once again. Its just not possible for me to do that here.
You'd be surprised at how many people join here, post that their stations are terrible, the company is terrible, and then suddenly they're going to start a much better new job in short order. Or maybe you wouldn't.

Thesearecrazytimes

You'd be surprised at how many people join here, post that their stations are terrible, the company is terrible, and then suddenly they're going to start a much better new job in short order. Or maybe you wouldn't.
The things I stated in the original post are truthful and accurate. Short order is 5 more working days and I am really looking forward to new challenges and a new life away from Fedex.

Aquaman

Do my job properly? Ok. The first time you bring back unattempted freight, OLCC and you're reminded what your expectations are. Second time you bring it back, warning letter for violating the acceptable conduct policy (insubordination). Third time, you're terminated for violating the acceptable conduct policy (insubordination).

Enjoy that free time.
Ya I think drivers all across the country are currently calling that bluff…

59 Dano

What an aspiration. Make $65K, working 55 hours a week. Have to take phone calls all hours of the day & night. Have to constantly check your email at work & home. Sit through conference calls about nothing. I mean really, it’s such a prestigious job. Who doesn’t want to stare at gap reports & stops per hour and whine about it to the drivers that give you the finger the second you turn around. I’ve always wanted to hunt down fuel receipts too. What a dream. If you apply yourself and work your hardest, you too can wear business casual and order pizza…. Or…. You could make $60K, work 40 hours, ignore every FedEx phone call, be by yourself all day, and never think about gap reports or stops per hour. I’ll take the latter. You literally have to have an authority complex to even remotely think management is the path at Express. It’s pretty clear nobody is taking the job because they have good ideas.

Is that why most AM managers take off as soon as they can and are rarely in the station when couriers get back after 10+ hours?
I love how people will vacillate between "Management isn't worth it because it's hard/demanding/grueling/whatever" and "They don't do anything and all leave at lunch" simply because they don't like me :D

Whichever narrative fits the need for that day, I suppose.

Am Mgr schedule as soon as last courier leaves for route..head for exit.

LOL, this cracks me up!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I get this from your perspective. However, it's management's job to run the operation. Of course no one expects that same day, but there's planning and it would include bringing PM in sooner if necessary. There are so many options.

I'm not sure about Canada, but in the US it might be your problem. You can surely be held to cover pups or complete the route.

Nah. That's your impression. It might even be the managers you know. It isn't representative of 7000 managers in Express. In fact, managers have some of these same issues. This example has protected leave.

This whole convo is wild to me. Planning can get close to the scheduled hours 99% of the time, but there will be times a shorter or longer day happens. 10 hours =/= an additional day off. It equals 2 hours at 1.5X pay. Y'all act petulant on here (and maybe IRL) when all that needs to happen is communication and honesty. You should expect it from management and should give it yourself. You're making this all more dramatic than necessary.
You seem like you’re a good, fair manager. I’m sure your couriers like working for you. Your way of thinking worked for many years as FedEx was paying a decent wage and had great benefits. Couriers loved being a part of the team and had no problem working longer to ensure all customers were taken care of. Problem is, the wage is crappy now in many area and the benefits suck. FedEx was previously able to “buy” the loyalty of most couriers with “industry leading pay and benefits”. That is ancient history. FedEx is asking for loyalty they’re not willing to pay for anymore. You will not see the caliber of commitment now that you are used to seeing from people. Not gonna happen, no matter how much people are threatened. If anything, it will cause them to rebel. The sooner the people at the top realize that the better off everyone will be.

Aquaman

FedEx is asking for loyalty they’re not willing to pay for anymore.
Bingo. Like I’ve said, if they’re going to go the route of FedEx wage with UPS hours this company won’t be around much longer. The draw of FedEx is an 8 hour day. Period. Can’t be argued. Dano and managers like him don’t realize that. It’s not the pay, it’s not the benefits, it’s not the culture, it’s an 8 hour day. That’s what draws tractor trailer drivers, and couriers. I don’t expect a “deliver it all or your fired” type of manager to understand that.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Bingo. Like I’ve said, if they’re going to go the route of FedEx wage with UPS hours this company won’t be around much longer. The draw of FedEx is an 8 hour day. Period. Can’t be argued. Dano and managers like him don’t realize that. It’s not the pay, it’s not the benefits, it’s not the culture, it’s an 8 hour day. That’s what draws tractor trailer drivers, and couriers. I don’t expect a “deliver it all or your fired” type of manager to understand that.
The 8 hour day is definitely a draw. Look at the number of former UPS drivers who walked away from UPS and the great pay and benefits they got there, to work at FedEx. They obviously didn’t do it for the money. They did it so they could have a family life. They wanted to have dinner with their family and tuck their kids into bed, to be able to go to their kids’ school events. I have never heard a UPS driver complain about their pay (except drivers in progression), only the lack of family time. Oh, and the toxic management/hourly relationship.

Aquaman

The 8 hour day is definitely a draw. Look at the number of former UPS drivers who walked away from UPS and the great pay and benefits they got there, to work at FedEx. They obviously didn’t do it for the money. They did it so they could have a family life. They wanted to have dinner with their family and tuck their kids into bed, to be able to go to their kids’ school events. I have never heard a UPS driver complain about their pay (except drivers in progression), only the lack of family time. Oh, and the toxic management/hourly relationship.
It’s the only draw. A new courier isn’t getting a good schedule, isn’t getting a good route, isn’t getting good benefits, definitely isn’t getting good pay anytime soon, can’t take their vacation when they want. But they can work 40 hours a week. It’s all there is.

!Retired!

Ya I think drivers all across the country are currently calling that bluff…
If you think couriers are not getting terminated de to staffing shortages, I can give you the number of a 10 year employee let go the last week of PEAK.
Is that why most AM managers take off as soon as they can and are rarely in the station when couriers get back after 10+ hours?
Not in my station. There's always at least one (we have 3) AM manager there until 1500-1600 every day
It’s the only draw. A new courier isn’t getting a good schedule, isn’t getting a good route, isn’t getting good benefits, definitely isn’t getting good pay anytime soon, can’t take their vacation when they want. But they can work 40 hours a week. It’s all there is.
You mean like it was 22 years ago when I started?