Scott Walker

bbsam

Staff member
So let's race to the bottom like fedex ground so a handful of owners like you expect to be well compensated while the ones you make your money off should "sacrifice " more and more so companies keep making insane profits?

THAT right there is unsustainable. The "trend" you speak of is a result of this country getting rid of unions and their influence for the past 60 years.

But he lets all be "independent contractors " because that's the biggest working scam going. One that will eventually catch up to fedex and not in a good way.
Ummm...I happen to agree with you to a large degree. Ground has it's issues but trending market share is problematic for UPS remaining as profitable with current labor rates.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
But there is a trend and it's hard to see that remaining true. How many more routes can be cut and how muchore productive can each driver be to keep that true into the future?
The reason is not productivity but cost control.
The wages do not seem outrageous but the pensions, healthcare, etc. are the real issue.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
You don't have a clue. My property taxes have not been cut four times.
He is the typical borrow and spend conservative. Says he passed a balanced budget but neglects to tell you he has borrowed billions to pay for roads while kicking that can down the road.
You will make anything up to get Walker out of office.

It shows.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Washington and Scott Walker keep borrowing for roads

The Wisconsin Legislature’s budget committee is punting this week, too. It was scheduled to take up the governor’s road budget but now plans to wait. If it can’t find more revenue, the committee may resort to delaying projects, including the reconstruction of Verona Road southwest of Madison’s Beltline. That could snarl traffic for years.

Gov. Scott Walker wants to borrow a record $1.3 billion for roads over the next two years. That’s about 18 percent of the state’s total transportation budget.

The governor has dismissed attempts to raise user fees. He has opposed a higher gas tax, which his own Department of Transportation secretary proposed last fall. He has opposed a higher vehicle registration fee, which top Republican lawmakers have floated.

What does Gov. Walker favor? More borrowing.

It’s irresponsible and needs to stop.

State debt payments for road building are eating up more transportation revenue each year, increasing from 7 percent in 1999 to nearly 20 percent today, according to the Legislative Fiscal Bureau. Walker’s proposed budget would push that even higher.

Interest rates are low, making borrowing less expensive, the Walker administration contends. And Wisconsin’s 31-cents-per-gallon gas tax is higher than average.

But interest rates won’t stay low forever. And lagging revenue will increase pressure to borrow in future budgets, when rates are higher.

The state gas tax also forces out-of-state tourists to pay more for Wisconsin roads. And that allows Wisconsin to keep its vehicle registration fee low for residents.

Something has to give in the short term so Wisconsin pays more of its bills. And in the long run, a sustainable source of revenue is needed for roads that reflects the growing popularity of cars that run on batteries or alternative fuels.

Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, has responsibly floated a fee for miles driven. Walker won’t embraced that idea, either.

About the closest the governor came to a solution was his suggestion last fall to the State Journal editorial board that the state gas tax be replaced with a sales tax on gas and alternative vehicle fuel sources. That might help. But he hasn’t formally proposed the idea.

So Wisconsin keeps borrowing. Just like Washington, D.C.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Ummm...I happen to agree with you to a large degree. Ground has it's issues but trending market share is problematic for UPS remaining as profitable with current labor rates.

With as conservative as UPS is when it comes to the bigger business picture, I'm sure it will work out. In over 110 years in business, I'm sure they've faced this issue before during economic changes.

The problem is wages were so stagnant for the last 30 or so years that it never kept up to cost of living and inflation. And with these corporations expecting billions and billions in "profit" to remain competitive is the other issue not being addressed. If UPS makes say 4 billion in profits one year and the next makes 5, Wall Street analysts will say the world is ending and ups isn't sustainable. That's just an example but it's part of the problem.

The ones in the financial sector have rigged the game for so long that a strong, healthy company like ups looks "bad" if they don't have a insane profitable quarter.

Overpaid Union Thug

All you have to do to understand Scott Walkers actions, is to look at KANSAS who started the same tactics long before WALKER did.

That state is in a fiscal disaster since he cut taxes for the rich...

Time will tell how far down the road Walker kicked the problems of his state.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sam-brownbacks-tax-cut-push-puts-kansas-out-on-its-own-1402448126

CONSERVATIVE POLICIES RUIN ECONOMIC FUTURES...

Just ask Ronald Reagan. ( deficits dont matter)

TOS.

And liberal states and cities are doing so well....OH WAIT...nevermind.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
And let's not forget the FedEx keeps their segments separate to avoid union organizing and to avoid paying taxes on its ground/HD units. If they were forced out of the railway act and had to play by the same rules ups does, those unsustainable cheap ground "rates" would be no more. And then fedex especially ground would have to compete with ups on a level playing field with service and price.

And that's where fedex would lose. Their business model isn't built for that. That's why Fred has to buy legislation and politicians to keep his "monopoly " in a sense going.

Overpaid Union Thug

So harping on liberal states is now to suggest that Walker's borrow and spend tactics won't land Wisconsin in the same place?

If done correctly borrowing and spending doesn't have to be a bad thing. I personally don't like that strategy. Its when you keep adding more and more debt without a way to foot the bill thats a problem.

bbsam

Staff member
And let's not forget the FedEx keeps their segments separate to avoid union organizing and to avoid paying taxes on its ground/HD units. If they were forced out of the railway act and had to play by the same rules ups does, those unsustainable cheap ground "rates" would be no more. And then fedex especially ground would have to compete with ups on a level playing field with service and price.

And that's where fedex would lose. Their business model isn't built for that. That's why Fred has to buy legislation and politicians to keep his "monopoly " in a sense going.
That is incorrect on many different levels but not for a Scott Walker thread.

bbsam

Staff member
If done correctly borrowing and spending doesn't have to be a bad thing. I personally don't like that strategy. Its when you keep adding more and more debt without a way to foot the bill thats a problem.
That's the thing. He starts it...and walks away leaving the mess.for future administrations.

Overpaid Union Thug

You might want to look at Connecticut and you'll see your point has very little basis of fact.

Unless I said ALL (which I didn't) liberal states and cities were in the tank then your remark has absolutely no basis of fact. And I didn't so.....moving right alone.

You did find one (and I'm sure there's actually a few more) so I guess you want a cookie? LOL!

Overpaid Union Thug

That's the thing. He starts it...and walks away leaving the mess.for future administrations.
If that's the case then you liberals should be falling over yourselves to be first in line to give money to his campaigns. LOL! I mean that is exactly what has been going on in Washington for the past 10 years and liberals had the majority in one form or the other during most of that time. And you keep electing those idiots! LOL!

bbsam

Staff member
I think it's dead on. If Fred didn't have the RLA you wouldn't have a job, err, I mean contract.;)
If Fred didn't have the RLA, Express would have a contractor model or at the least be scaled back. Wouldn't affect Ground unionizing in the least.

bbsam

Staff member
If that's the case then you liberals should be falling over yourselves to be first in line to give money to his campaigns. LOL! I mean that is exactly what has been going on in Washington for the past 10 years and liberals had the majority in one form or the other during most of that time. LOL!
10 years in Washington? Really? 10?