Sears Tower ??

UPS Lifer

In my defense, I never called Sears "evil and greedy". And you are right that I have no ties to Chicago, but I bet if you asked around you could find plenty of Chicagoans who care what the tower is called about as much as I do. People will call it whatever they want to, I guess. I'm sure plenty of folks will continue to call it the Sears tower. I'm just saying I don't see it as something to get overly worked up about.

You are right. You did not call Sears evil and greedy.

However, I really feel you can call the Empire State Building anything you want but through the next generation it would always be referred to as the Empire State Building, unless a major marketing campaign took place. I feel the same goes for the Sears Tower only because it was at one point the tallest building in the world and is a major tourist attraction and people of Chicago will refer to the Sears Tower using that name. I agree with you that most folks probably won't give it too much thought but I don't see most people changing how they refer to the building.

I will be in Chicago in late August for a wedding, I will do an informal poll.

I bet if I take the poll at the top of the Sears Tower I can get the results I am looking for..... just kidding!

P

pickup

Pickup, you will appreciate this. The new home of the Mets is called Citifinancial Field yet I wonder how many fans refer to it as Shea Stadium?
The Boston Garden is now called TD Banknorth Garden but everyone stills calls it the Gahden. TD Banknorth is changing its' name to TD Bank so will this then become TD Bank Garden? There are many more examples of this and with the continuing loss of sponsors many more to come. What's in a name?

As far as I can tell , not too many people call it shea because , citifield was built in one of the parking lots of shea . In the offseason, they finished up citifield and demolished shea stadium. So any old time fan who still goes to a game knows that he is walking to a different building than shea . It is a different building on a different piece of land

I don't know too much about Boston Garden, After the name change, is it still the same building? Different building on same land? Or different building on different land? If the first case, yeah, definitely can believe that people call it by the old name. Second case, could still see it, third case would be the most likely scenario in which people will go along with the name change and the third case is definitely the mets scenario .

By the way, as of today, mets are 8 and 1/2 games out of first (after losing to atlanta 11-0 last night) with philly at the top and atlanta and the marlins between philly and the mets. What a bunch of losers. Who's gonna get fired this time? The manager or the general manager? My money is on the general manager getting canned .

There is a bridge in new york that used to be called the tri-borough bridge, a year ago(?) they changed the name to the R.friend.K. bridge in honor of robert kennedy. Cost the state and city 4 million dollars to change the signs (I don't see how it could cost that much). Everyone still calls it the triborough. New York is the only state that can do a name change on something they own and not only not make any money on it, but lose money. 4 million dollars that could have been spent in a much better fashion. Thank god I don't live there anymore, not that New Jersey is much better.

P

pickup

I think it was Artie Lange who said that the Mets had to be crazy to name their new stadium Citi Field. Because what rhymes with Citi :wink2:?

if the shoe fits...... Oh by the way, I saw the book cover of Artie's book(the one you mentioned in what have you read "thread), just by that pic on that cover, I see Artie is still out of control"

All of the places in NJ that have changed their names I still call by their original names.

which name do you call that complex in the meadowlands? It doesn't matter what you call it , nobody attends the nets games anyway. No mass transit to really speak of and "stuck in a dump somewhere in the swamps of jersey"[B/]

taken from wikipedia:
e Izod Center (formerly Brendan Byrne Arena and Continental Airlines Arena) is a multi-purpose indoor arena in the Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford, New Jersey, United States. Opened in 1981, it is one of the oldest arenas in the NBA and is currently home to the New Jersey Nets NBA basketball team. The arena was formerly home to the New Jersey Devils NHL hockey team until 2007, when they moved to the Prudential Center in Newark. Official seating capacity, as of 2004, is 19,040 for hockey, 20,029 for college basketball, 20,049 for NBA games, and a maximum of 20,000 for concerts. The arena attracts spectators and fans from New Jersey and the New York metropolitan area. Because of the history of name changes, the arena is often referred to simply as the Meadowlands Arena.

P

pickup

Pickup, you will appreciate this. The new home of the Mets is called Citifinancial Field yet I wonder how many fans refer to it as Shea Stadium?
The Boston Garden is now called TD Banknorth Garden but everyone stills calls it the Gahden. TD Banknorth is changing its' name to TD Bank so will this then become TD Bank Garden? There are many more examples of this and with the continuing loss of sponsors many more to come. What's in a name?

Oh, by the way, the official name of the mets' new stadium is Citi Field , not citifinancialfield.

To answer your question differently is to look at a similar situation the astros went through.The astros are playing in a different stadium since 2000(?) than the one they used to, the astrodome. I would imagine many went along with the name change as the astrodome is still
standing (no one uses it for the most part : notable exception: a staging area for evacuees from new orleans during Katrina) .

Oh by the way, the mets will playing the astros there in about a week or less, I predict by the time they arrive to play the first game, they will be 10 1/2 games out of first place .

Look at how many name changes and nicknames the new stadium(Minuitemaid park) that the astros play in has gone through: (once again , from wikipedia)

Based on its downtown location next to the old Union Station buildings, one of the suggested names (and nicknames) is the Ballpark at Union Station, or the BUS. During its days as Enron Field, it was also dubbed "Ten-Run" or "Home Run" Field due to its cozy left-field dimensions. In keeping with this theme while paying homage to its current sponsor, the nickname "The Juice Box" is colloquially used today.[

P

pickup

I still call it that :happy2:. You're a man of tradition, my friend.

I think they are going to start or have started train service to the Meadowlands complex. I also think the Nets are moving to Brooklyn. yeah, now that you mentioned, I remember hearing about that train service. like you said below , not sure .

As for the nets moving to brooklyn, that seems less certain, the guy who bought them a few years back, Ratner, wanted to get the land in brooklyn to place the stadium there but seems he really wanted that land to build luxury apartments and commercial space in addition to the stadium. He encountered and still is encountering opposition as well as dealing with the fact that due to the economy, he may not be able to get tenants as well as have enough money (he apparently isn't as rich as he pretended to be a few years ago and definitely is less rich since the economic collapse)to complete the deal. And now his team is without marquee players (kidd and others are long gone). I can see them eventually moving to the area in newark if they do move or they will stay right where they are. Who knows?

I am not 100% on either.

P

pickup

I still call it that :happy2:.

I think they are going to start or have started train service to the Meadowlands complex. I also think the Nets are moving to Brooklyn.

I am not 100% on either.

I just heard on the radio that the train is up and running out of that rail station near exit 15x on the turnpike near the meadowlands ups facility . It will only run for when something big is going on in the meadowlands complex like soccer and football games.