Seems UPS is the same everwhere

mikeb

tnbrown
I had a sup once who told me(after my complaining about a an impossible load) to go out and "work some magic". So I went out and made the pkgs disappear if u know what I mean.

rod

Retired 22 years
I had a sup once who told me(after my complaining about a an impossible load) to go out and "work some magic". So I went out and made the pkgs disappear if u know what I mean.
Years ago we had a driver that would make a LOT of Swiss Colony Cheese packages disappear during peak- ecpecially the chasers. He is no longer with the company. To this day he still laughs about all the cheese he ate and threw into the woods.

LKLND3380

I have been here almost 30 years and I have always thought it was strange that we were always the worst center in everything. After a while you just don't care.
And the sups always had these wild stories about what had happened but it was always at some other center; "I know a driver in XYZ center that could run 600 stops 200 pick-ups take a 2 hour lunch and be in at 3pm with the flu and a broken arm". I believed it for about the first 2 months.

We have supes - "When I was a preloader in this building we did..."
I say yeah, that was before PAS, when your start time was 1:00 AM and started with 900%. Now on PAS our start time is 4:20 and we have 1600%... The only thing that is the same when they were on preload is starting pay...

rocket man

We were always given the speech about how our center was the worst in the district or you were the worst driver in the center or the person that ran your route while you were on vacation did it so much faster. This was 30 plus years ago. For years we really had no other contact with other centers unless you knew someone who knew someone that worked in a different center. You did have the "feeder rumors" but after awhile you didn't believe any of those because most of them turned out to be bs. When the internet (Brown Cafe) came along it didn't take long to realize this was the same speech given to all drivers.

H

hseofpayne

I am new to The Brown Cafe and I am just amazed to see that problems drivers are having in other parts of the country are the same where I am.
On all of the post I have read you could just change the names of the sup. or center mgr. and my name in the drivers spot and it would be my life at UPS.
Do they just clone the sups when the need a new one. Where do they learn their lines, from a script some where. If I snooped around a sups office would I find a "supervisor play book".
I am sure the book would have these favorites;

1."Call me later".
2."Just take out your load and I will send someone out to help".
3."I will get back with you on that".
4."20 Air and 30miles in 30 minutes, Is there a problem?"
5."They swing drivers do your route better("faster" in sup talk,never mind all the lost pkgs")than you do.
6."Looks like I going to need to ride with you"
7.Mesasage in diad "I am instructing you to do this" even tho you don't know who is sending you the message. My reply"Who is instructing me to do this dishonest thing. No reply to that!!!!!
8."Every pkg must be scaned every day no exception" later that same day i send in message "I have 5 off areas what should I do with them?" UNKNOWN sup in diad "bring them in but don't record them"
But you said???? "just do as you are told from UNKNOWN sup.

Feel free to add your favorites I could use the laugh.
"We are short on drivers today, so I need you to knock it out for me today." This is always after you watched the same ole drivers going back home in the morning when you were pulling in the parking lot. I am sure every center has a few drivers who come in every morning looking to go back home, no matter how many days you have asked for a day off!

Channahon

Do they just clone the sups when the need a new one.
Every year when a management person gets a physical, a new micro chip is implanted in their brain, to ensure all UPS management exhibit the same behavior.

Where do they learn their lines, from a script some where. If I snooped around a sups office would I find a "supervisor play book".

Doesn't everyone have a "play book" of their own ??

Maybe you ought to switch places for a day and see UPS from the "other side". It's no day at the beach for anyone, as every day can have it ups and downs for all UPS employees.

Big Babooba

We have supes - "When I was a preloader in this building we did..."
I say yeah, that was before PAS, when your start time was 1:00 AM and started with 900%. Now on PAS our start time is 4:20 and we have 1600%... The only thing that is the same when they were on preload is starting pay...
The sad part is that although the pay is the same, the buying power of the part timer's pay has greatly eroded since the 1980s.:sad-very:

under the radar

A Trained Professional
One that really puts a burr in my saddle is the pcm lecture, or lambasting, we've gotten when there are a lot of call-offs. Here we are, the ones who decided to show up, getting sliced to ribbons because our cohorts did not show up. I've walked out of more than one of those masterpieces.