Self-DQ

MoarTape

You are wrong.

If management disqualifies you on your first try you are eligible to return after 6 months. On the second DQ it's 12 months.

When you DQ yourself the wait is 24 months.

Just like everything else, it's different in different areas. Here, it's three years if you self DQ, one if they DQ you.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Hey BC'ers. I searched the new contract, forums, and regional supplement(Southern) but cannot seem to find what i'm looking for. I passed the road test on a Wednesday and was sent to driving school for a full-time package car driver position the following Monday. Long story short I DQ'd myself due to not having learned the 10 Point Commentary word for word by Wednesday. All I need to know is am I disqualified for 1 year or two? I had no idea there was a difference between an employer disqualification and a self DQ or I would have just had them fail me. I thought I'd save myself the hour ride to driver school and just called in and spoke with a supervisor.
Southern does not specify self QQ or company DQ. It just says "fails to qualify."

You are DQ'd for 1 year and can only attempt to qualify 3 times. You have 2 left.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been told the five seeing habits must be word for word, but the 10 point commentary you must know the bold part word for word, then just explain the rest in your own words. Is this not accurate?

Depends upon the person asking the questions but, yes, this is usually the case.

Highwayman

I have been with UPS for 25 years and NEVER could recite the "sayings" word for word and I still get a paycheck. I don't understand why the company puts so much emphasis on learning these word for word. I practice all these concepts when I'm driving and that should be enough. GET THE BIG PICTURE!

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You should have given it your best effort, not just pussed out and quit. When I went to driving school, I, like you, had a week to get everything down. Had no problem doing so.

However, when I got to school there were some people still struggling with the memorization and they had until wednesday or Thursday to pass that part. If you can't memorize the 5 seeing habits and 10pt commentary in a few days, then UPS may be smarter than you. Sorry

In my local it's a 1 year wait if they DQ you, or a 2 year if you quit or refuse the job once you bid that you want it. Say they send you to driving school and then you back out, 2 years.

@superballs63 Word for word memorization is a weak measure of intelligence.

@Mugarolla I talked to a shop steward. He said I have to wait a year to bid for full time driving but that I'm allowed to bid for a cover driver position immediately. He sounded certain but then said, "don't quote me on this." I think I'm just gonna email my business agent or HR to find out.

Hey Oak. It's not accurate, at least in my area. From reading some of the posts on this forum I thought the same as you but then I got to driving school and they wanted everything word for word.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
@superballs63 Word for word memorization is a weak measure of intelligence.

@Mugarolla I talked to a shop steward. He said I have to wait a year to bid for full time driving but that I'm allowed to bid for a cover driver position immediately. He sounded certain but then said, "don't quote me on this." I think I'm just gonna email my business agent or HR to find out.

Hey Oak. It's not accurate, at least in my area. From reading some of the posts on this forum I thought the same as you but then I got to driving school and they wanted everything word for word.
Since a TCD is a different position than a full time driver, your steward may be correct. Then again, don't you still have to go to Integrad and have a 30 day qualifying period. It is qualifying to be a package driver, whether full time or TCD. I am curious as to what your BA says.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
You are wrong.

If management disqualifies you on your first try you are eligible to return after 6 months. On the second DQ it's 12 months.

When you DQ yourself the wait is 24 months.

Not in the Central. You get dq'ed by management your eligible to restart the next day on a different training route as long as your seniority puts you at the top of the bid list for driving. Self dq is a one year wait the first time. 3 year wait for second self dq

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Not in the Central. You get dq'ed by management your eligible to restart the next day on a different training route as long as your seniority puts you at the top of the bid list for driving. Self dq is a one year wait the first time. 3 year wait for second self dq
Only on your first attempt. The second try, whether self dq or company dq, disqualified for 3 years.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Only on your first attempt. The second try, whether self dq or company dq, disqualified for 3 years.

You both are right.

"An employee who disqualifies himself/herself on his/her first (1st) attempt shall not be allowed to bid again for one (1) year. An employee who fails to qualify, or disqualifies themselves on his/her second (2nd) attempt, shall not be allowed to bid again for three (3) years."

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

grgrcr88 correctly pointed out, if the company dq's you (for any reason) on your 1st attempt....

You are eligible to rebid, and not wait "a year and a day" like the company tries to say.

-Bug-

Overpaid Union Thug

When I went to the school we didn't have to know the 10 point commentary word by word.....coma by coma. And really didn't for the five seeing habits either although they were a little more focused on that one. We had to understand the meaning of each point and how to apply them to driving. As long as we could the teachers wouldn't let us fail.

Sent using BrownCafe App

annie345

You both are right.

"An employee who disqualifies himself/herself on his/her first (1st) attempt shall not be allowed to bid again for one (1) year. An employee who fails to qualify, or disqualifies themselves on his/her second (2nd) attempt, shall not be allowed to bid again for three (3) years."

http://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

grgrcr88 correctly pointed out, if the company dq's you (for any reason) on your 1st attempt....

You are eligible to rebid, and not wait "a year and a day" like the company tries to say.

-Bug-
That's for the central region.. The southern is different