SFA question for fedex 2000

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Oh good one! You just cannot have a discussion without
The bigger underlying point that you seem to miss is why wouldn't a company provide training for its underperforming employees? The fact that FedEx does is actually a good thing.

We were talking about underperforming managers.

They may be sent to Redundant Beach for "training" but they always come back the same.

Like I said, the SFA never changes anything. Go ask around.

FedEx2000

It's strange to me how "FedEx2000" first started on the browncafe site demeaning employees and talking about how lazy they are. Now he or she paints a mental picture of this great station with all these happy employees that skip around hand in hand with management because they are willing and wanting to help one another so much.
The fact that this person can't explain where and who the SFA results go to in Memphis seems very strange.
The SFA is insulting to the employee in that it fools the employee into believing they actually have input on the working environment when in fact they don't.

Any comments I made referring employees as "lazy" were directed at a particular individual or example...not as a whole. And how or why should i have any idea who in MEM is in charge of SFA? They go to HR/Corp, beyond that It's anonymous for a reason.

FedEx2000

If it were truly optional a person would be able to choose a time to take it themselves. If you choose not to take it what do you do on the scheduled time that you take it? Also if it was anonymous and optional why does a manager know when you haven't taken it? If it were truly optional it wouldn't matter whether you had taken it or not and you wouldn't be pressured to take it.

Look, I don't know what kind of crack-head managers you have, all I know is that we try to schedule a time so that the employee has more than 5 minuted to rip through it. We're not talking about an hour here, more like 15-20 minutes, a little more if needed. I've never had anyone refuse to take it, so ask your manager what they would like you to do if you so choose. My point is that you shouldn't be pulled off the belt in the AM and told to go do it, then come back to a pile of freight and be told not to have any lates...you shouldn't be rushed through it.

Your manager knows whether or not you have taken it b/c we have a screen in PRISM that says Complete/Not Started/Started. That's it, no big conspiracy, no score, nothing but your name/EE# and whether or not you have completed it. As far as I can tell, the reason some may pressure you is b/c it's like a competition between directors to see who can get the best completion rate the quickest, beyond that I have no idea....they send updates everyday with completion rates for each station/district. I think they like it done early so that they can get an idea of what the scores are looking like before it's all said and done.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's amazing that each and every time we take the SFA, scores for FedEx rise, even though employee satisfaction has steadily declined. There is no independent oversight of the SFA, so it's no wonder that we're "happier" each succesive year. That means that MEM isn't accurately reporting the results, and that they can invent whatever numbers they want in order to "prove" we're happy.

northeast swing driver

It's amazing that each and every time we take the SFA, scores for FedEx rise, even though employee satisfaction has steadily declined. There is no independent oversight of the SFA, so it's no wonder that we're "happier" each succesive year. That means that MEM isn't accurately reporting the results, and that they can invent whatever numbers they want in order to "prove" we're happy.
Of course. Everyone is miserable. The only people that aren't miserable are those few in every station who are brainwashed that mgmt is god. You know those 8-10 employees that run in the managers office every morning sometimes before they even punch in to say good morning to the mgmt team at his or her station. The results are 100% made up.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

My high school economics teacher told us once that there are lies, damn lies and statistics. Guess which one most of the Memphisites subscribe too?

FedEx courier

Look, I don't know what kind of crack-head managers you have, all I know is that we try to schedule a time so that the employee has more than 5 minuted to rip through it. We're not talking about an hour here, more like 15-20 minutes, a little more if needed. I've never had anyone refuse to take it, so ask your manager what they would like you to do if you so choose. My point is that you shouldn't be pulled off the belt in the AM and told to go do it, then come back to a pile of freight and be told not to have any lates...you shouldn't be rushed through it.

Your manager knows whether or not you have taken it b/c we have a screen in PRISM that says Complete/Not Started/Started. That's it, no big conspiracy, no score, nothing but your name/EE# and whether or not you have completed it. As far as I can tell, the reason some may pressure you is b/c it's like a competition between directors to see who can get the best completion rate the quickest, beyond that I have no idea....they send updates everyday with completion rates for each station/district. I think they like it done early so that they can get an idea of what the scores are looking like before it's all said and done.
It used to be part of your evaluation didn't it? Seems like if it were that important you would be briefed on how it is handled beyond it going to some magic place in Mempis that is top secret. Like Mr. Fedex points out it is completely meaningless anyway, anything could come back I'm just saying it's very strange you haven't been told where it goes or how it is handled when it gets there.

FedEx2000

It used to be part of your evaluation didn't it? Seems like if it were that important you would be briefed on how it is handled beyond it going to some magic place in Mempis that is top secret. Like Mr. Fedex points out it is completely meaningless anyway, anything could come back I'm just saying it's very strange you haven't been told where it goes or how it is handled when it gets there.

Why is it strange? Why does it even matter? I get the results of my workgroup, beyond that I could care less where they go. My employees put it in that magic box on the desk, and Bam!, a few weeks later I get to login and see how I/FedEx was scored. Like I said, it is anonymous....they don't tell us anymore than they tell you.

FedEx courier

Why is it strange? Why does it even matter? I get the results of my workgroup, beyond that I could care less where they go. My employees put it in that magic box on the desk, and Bam!, a few weeks later I get to login and see how I/FedEx was scored. Like I said, it is anonymous....they don't tell us anymore than they tell you.
You said it yourself it doesn't even matter. So why is it touted as a showpiece for employees having input on their work environments? It's "anonymous" but you can't answer how it actually is "anonymous". Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

quadro

You said it yourself it doesn't even matter. So why is it touted as a showpiece for employees having input on their work environments? It's "anonymous" but you can't answer how it actually is "anonymous". Yeah that makes a lot of sense.
He's saying it doesn't matter where it goes to in Memphis not that the SFA itself doesn't matter. An educated guess would tell you that once you complete it in the computer, your answers are separated from your name by a computer program. That's why it's anonymous. The answers are then tabulated in a database by a computer program. Presumably the server is in Memphis. Does that answer your question? Not sure why you are so hung up on the programming aspect of how a computer works.

FedEx courier

He's saying it doesn't matter where it goes to in Memphis not that the SFA itself doesn't matter. An educated guess would tell you that once you complete it in the computer, your answers are separated from your name by a computer program. That's why it's anonymous. The answers are then tabulated in a database by a computer program. Presumably the server is in Memphis. Does that answer your question? Not sure why you are so hung up on the programming aspect of how a computer works.
An educated guess? If it doesn't matter where it goes to in Memphis then how can you say the totals come back legitimate? The programming aspect of how a computer works, hahaha? Are you serious, you are talking about taking a survey that you are told is anonymous in which you have to enter your birthdate to log on and take it yet you are speculating that your answers are somehow separated from your identity at some point. Even if that is the case how do you then know that the percentages that come back are the correct ones.
a

FedEx2000

I said it doesn't matter where they go to me, not that the SFA doesn't matter....stop trying to read in to things that aren't there. It's anonymous b/c I can't see your answers, only the workgroup rollup as a whole, why is that so hard to comprehend?

FedEx2000

An educated guess? If it doesn't matter where it goes to in Memphis then how can you say the totals come back legitimate? The programming aspect of how a computer works, hahaha? Are you serious, you are talking about taking a survey that you are told is anonymous in which you have to enter your birthdate to log on and take it yet you are speculating that your answers are somehow separated from your identity at some point. Even if that is the case how do you then know that the percentages that come back are the correct ones.
a

Setting aside your paranoia/conspiracy theories for a second, how do you know they aren't?

quadro

a
I didn't say the totals are or are not legitimate. You seemed to be hung up on the process of taking the SFA and I was just trying to explain how it works. You have to identify yourself to login as it's a secure system and to make sure the same person doesn't take it more than once. I have never been given a reason to believe that my answers are not anonymous. As with anything electronic, where there's a will there's a way. So I don't doubt that someone, somewhere could see what I answered but again, I've never seen any indication of it. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened but doesn't mean it has either.

The percentages for the workgroups I've been in seem to be in line with what people have said they answered. How do I know they are telling me the truth? I don't but I've no reason to think they are lying either. So for now, I take it at its face value. Perhaps your experiences are different.

FedEx courier

Setting aside your paranoia/conspiracy theories for a second, how do you know they aren't?
I guess questioning anything equals paranoia? I never said I knew, i am just saying you cannot prove that it is anonymous or give any details about how the results are handled once an employee takes it so how do you know that it is anonymous? Therefore you can't legitimately prove that it is handled in an anonymous way. For instance who knows if the senior manager can see the results. Can you prove that can't.
"stop trying to read in to things that aren't there"
I'm not some little punk that you push around in your work group. I know you think you're some tough guy because you took a management job at fedex but don't tell me what to do.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Like I said before, the SFA has "improved" every year since it's inception. You don't have to be a statistician to detect phony numbers. The SFA could be completely anonymous, but the "results" sure smell like a salmon that's been sitting in the dumpster for a week. Every employee could ream the company on each and every question, and MEM would still spin-it into a big effing lie.

FedEx2000

I guess questioning anything equals paranoia? I never said I knew, i am just saying you cannot prove that it is anonymous or give any details about how the results are handled once an employee takes it so how do you know that it is anonymous? Therefore you can't legitimately prove that it is handled in an anonymous way. For instance who knows if the senior manager can see the results. Can you prove that can't.
"stop trying to read in to things that aren't there"
I'm not some little punk that you push around in your work group. I know you think you're some tough guy because you took a management job at fedex but don't tell me what to do.

Oh get over yourself, I'm not one of those managers on an ego trip that thinks they are better than everyone. You also can't prove that it isn't anonymous...that's all i'm saying, tired of people on here pushing there opinions as fact.

FedEx courier

Oh get over yourself, I'm not one of those managers on an ego trip that thinks they are better than everyone. You also can't prove that it isn't anonymous...that's all i'm saying, tired of people on here pushing there opinions as fact.
LOL! Pushing opinion as fact? You're saying you agree with me. Please point out what opinion I'm pushing as fact. Get over myself? Hardy har that attitude just further illustrates you are one of the managers you're describing.

FedEx2000

LOL! Pushing opinion as fact? You're saying you agree with me. Please point out what opinion I'm pushing as fact. Get over myself? Hardy har that attitude just further illustrates you are one of the managers you're describing.

No, you're assuming the numbers are doctored.....I'm assuming they are not. The only thing we agree on here is that neither of us knows for sure. And I do know for a fact the Sr. Mgrs cannot see the SFA results by individual. "Pushing opinion as fact" was meant in more general terms and maybe didn't belong in that post....just a frustration of mine around here. In any case, I think you and I have gotten off on the wrong foot.....but I can assure you that I am not one of "those" managers that you refer to. I apologize if I have offended you in any way and I'll try not to upset you in the future, but if you have nothing good to say about FedEx at all, we will most likely not agree too often....which is fine since we are both entitled to our opinions.