Shift Bid

lasveagsups

If there is a need to fill positions for a different shift from the you work, in the same classification, are those positions offered to current employees to bid on first before outside hires are recruited?

I recently got hired as a package handler and forgot to ask the orientation manager, I figured I'd get an answer quickly here. The reason I ask this is because when I got hired I was supposed to start a different shift but my application got delayed, I ultimately had to reapply and accept a different shift from the one I originally applied for. I'm curious to see how this would work, I know I'd have to get through the probationary period and perhaps even wait longer until I could bid if that is even an option. All information helps, thanks.

tZ6zAdNZbWOhq.gif

PT Car Washer

If there is a need to fill positions for a different shift from the you work, in the same classification, are those positions offered to current employees to bid on first before outside hires are recruited?

I recently got hired as a package handler and forgot to ask the orientation manager, I figured I'd get an answer quickly here. The reason I ask this is because when I got hired I was supposed to start a different shift but my application got delayed, I ultimately had to reapply and accept a different shift from the one I originally applied for. I'm curious to see how this would work, I know I'd have to get through the probationary period and perhaps even wait longer until I could bid if that is even an option. All information helps, thanks.
Ask where the preferred job sign up list is.

There are no bids for transfering to a different shift. Just talk to your supervisor.

Preferred job is for picking what type of job you would like to do inside the hub: load, unload, sort, and so on. That won't get you put on preload, twilight, or whatever shift you wanted.

PT Car Washer

There are no bids for transfering to a different shift. Just talk to your supervisor.

Preferred job is for picking what type of job you would like to do inside the hub: load, unload, sort, and so on. That won't get you put on preload, twilight, or whatever shift you wanted.
Each sort should have a preferred job sign up list. Not sure if load or unload is on the list but sorter, clerk, car wash HVD, LVD and others.

HubSnakeWrangler

You need to talk to your steward or fellow coworkers. My hub is automated so there's "technically" no preferred jobs. All sorts allow pt transfers: P/M/A/T or shifts on an attached air building...with seniority lists.PT porter/clerk/hazmat responder are very rare as they're replaced by combos continuously in my building. Our morning sort is solely PT while afternoon and twilight sorts are mixed pt and ft 22.3. Of course, if you know "somebody" on the sort or position you're trying to get on that can't hurt. It's open to grievances so don't be loud about it if you get it. 🤫

ETA: We do have preload/porter/trailer sweep combos but they generally do not work M/A/T sorts in building.

Last edited:

johnnybgood

There is normally language in the contract that specifies jobs must be opened up to those in the building before being offered to those outside.