Should deaf people be allowed to drive package?

Should deaf people be allowed to drive package for UPS?

• Total voters

Packmule

I don't know. It looks like they are taking them as case by case exemptions.

Although, I'm not understanding the co-relation between your hearing loss and blood pressure meds. Lol.
Trying to pass a physical and getting the third degree because I can't repeat back what the doctor said. His forced whisper sounds like a loud fan blowing. No articulation.
What some of the young bucks on here don't understand is many people lose hearing in their 20s and 30s due to otosclerosis, which is the stapes bone fusing to the skull, effectively killing the vibration through the middle ear bone chain. Doctors have no idea what causes this, but know it has nothing to do with loud noise. Anyone can get it, and when you've invested 20 some years of your life in this job and suddenly can't pass the physical, let's see how unsympathetic they are then.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Trying to pass a physical and getting the third degree because I can't repeat back what the doctor said. His forced whisper sounds like a loud fan blowing. No articulation.
What some of the young bucks on here don't understand is many people lose hearing in their 20s and 30s due to otosclerosis, which is the stapes bone fusing to the skull, effectively killing the vibration through the middle ear bone chain. Doctors have no idea what causes this, but know it has nothing to do with loud noise. Anyone can get it, and when you've invested 20 some years of your life in this job and suddenly can't pass the physical, let's see how unsympathetic they are then.

Unfortunately, unless people are exposed to others with hearing loss or deafness, they have no compassion or understanding. Cochlear implants won't work for you?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I hope it works out well for you. I know it's not easy. My mother got the implants and stopped using them. After not hearing for so long, she realized what a noisy world we live in and decided she didn't like it. Lol.

UPSGUY72

I have to go to Boston next month and have an operation on my left ear to remove a Cholesteatoma that has eaten away the hammer, anvil, and stirrup in that ear. They are going to replace then with titanium implants.

They up the benefit for hearing aids on are health insurance to 5 grand from $1500 this year so I'll be able to get two good ones but I'll still go to get a hearing test to pass the DOT physical so I don't have that restriction on my card.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Simple.
Upstate complies with the TOS while tieguy does not.

How could you say Tieguy doesn't comply with the TOS when, he hasn't had the opportunity to do so for years?

I'm aware there has been a fair amount of ugliness betwixt both parties. I'm also aware that my knowledge of the conflict is limited.

I hate to think an outlet like this,(BC) that connects so many of us and enables us to commiserate and share ideals could, spawn such negativity.

Bob is a good dude. This forum suffers without his presence.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1390716130.179250.jpg

Packmule

I have to go to Boston next month and have an operation on my left ear to remove a Cholesteatoma that has eaten away the hammer, anvil, and stirrup in that ear. They are going to replace then with titanium implants.

They up the benefit for hearing aids on are health insurance to 5 grand from $1500 this year so I'll be able to get two good ones but I'll still go to get a hearing test to pass the DOT physical so I don't have that restriction on my card.
Good luck to you. I had a stapedectomy and two revisions done on my right ear. Didn't turn out well. Nearly deaf in that ear, but they insist they get a 95 plus success rate on it. Lefty gets me by. :)

bbsam

Staff member
I don't think deafness should disqualify one from driving. The question should be whether or not a person can do the job with proficiency including communication. If people are able to read lips (and I know that many can with amazing accuracy) I'm not sure where the problem comes in.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think deafness should disqualify one from driving. The question should be whether or not a person can do the job with proficiency including communication. If people are able to read lips (and I know that many can with amazing accuracy) I'm not sure where the problem comes in.

My son has bilateral hearing loss in the upper registers. We did the tubes (twice) before going with the hearing aids. The hearing loss had a minimal impact on him in school and he did get pretty good at reading lips----most of the time he was spot on but there were times when he wasn't even close and we would look at him and go "Huh?". He will be graduating in May with his MBA so apparently it hasn't slowed him down one bit.

bbsam

Staff member
Happens alot. My brother has had hearing loss since his early teens. He's been a very successful executive for twenty years now. Hearing aids have come a long way in a couple decades.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The title says...."deaf people" not hearing impaired, not 80% deaf or other variations of deafness. To me, deaf people" means people that can't hear anything.

Just like blind people are people who can't see anything.....not the descriptive legally blind or 70% blind.

So, in answering the OP's question.........should "deaf people" drive for UPS ? I already answered no.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Happens alot. My brother has had hearing loss since his early teens. He's been a very successful executive for Microsoft for twenty years now. Hearing aids have come a long way in a couple decades.

David actually stopped wearing his in his junior year of HS, put them back on briefly while in college and now has no idea where they are. He is 26 so any decision regarding them is entirely his to make.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The title says...."deaf people" not hearing impaired, not 80% deaf or other variations of deafness. To me, deaf people" means people that can't hear anything.

Just like blind people are people who can't see anything.....not the descriptive legally blind or 70% blind.

So, in answering the OP's question.........should "deaf people" drive for UPS ? I already answered no.

"I already answered no". Does this mean the discussion should come to an end?

bbsam

Staff member

I think your definition is far more narrow than the true or commonly accepted definition.

moreluck

golden ticket member
My post was not to you.

It is just a post that you butted into as usual. I voted 'no' with the stipulation that 'deaf' means you can't hear at all.
Everybody keeps mentioning hearing losses of various kinds.......that's not what the question asks.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I think your definition is far more narrow than the true or commonly accepted definition.
I didn't ask the question.......
'deaf' in the dictionary says "not able to hear". Thorndyke/Barnhart Comprehensive Desk Dictionary. It's not MY definition!!