Should I work for UPS or USPS

rd0127

AreYaUpset said:
I notice that you always need to through in a passive-aggressive condescending term like "sweetheart or Baby" when you respond.

That is so funny. Actually, I do talk like that. Sorry that it offends you. I am a southern belle and that is truly the way I talk, but in your case, I must admit to some sarcasm being thrown in.

But, I am being serious when I say that I worry about the Teamsters being in charge of anyone's retirement. That is seriously scarey! You can get mad at me all you want, but check out the upper management in both UPS & Teamsters then you decide who you really trust to be there for you when you retire. Google them all!!!! There is no guarantee for any of us, but since you do doubt what I say, I encourage you to do your own investigation, not just listen to what I tell you or especially what your "local" tells you and your buddies.

Oh, and I'm not management! :)

moreluck

golden ticket member
Scientists have discovered that a man can be frozen in a state of suspended animation for up to five years without losing his job at the post office. :)

tieguy

Banned
S Cow said:
Who are you kidding. I've been told that there are just as many shootings at UPS as the USPS. I think UPS has fewer killed per incident, though.

UPS is marvelous at stanching any press on their issues -- be it package car fatalities, jet incidents, thefts, and employee fights/homicides.

USPS seems like just as good a place to work as UPS -- or so it seems. One day UPS will be forced to deal with the union. One day the USPS will be forced to have its sister department (Treasury) just print more money.

Well shoot cow if you heard it somewhere then by god it must be true.

tieguy

Banned
Peppermint Paddy said:
Me too! Here is what I got with this online dictionary;

http://av1611.com/kjbp/kjv-dictionary/stanch.html

STANCH

STANCH, v.t. In a general sense, to stop; to set or fix; but applied only to the blood; to stop the flowing of blood. Cold applications to the neck will often stanch the bleeding of the nose.

STANCH, v.i. To stop, as blood; to cease to flow.

Immediately the issue of her blood stanched. Luke 8.

STANCH, a. This is the same word as the foregoing, the primary sense of which is to set; hence the sense of firmness.

1. Sound; firm; strong and tight; as a stanch ship.

2. Firm in principle; steady; constant and zealous; hearty; as a stanch churchman; a stanch republican; a stanch friend or adherent.

In politics I hear youre stanch.

3. Strong; not to be broken.

4. Firm; close.

This is to be kept stanch.

A stanch hound, is one that follows the scent closely without error or remissness.

Ultimately It is important we Staunchly stanch the stench. ...:lol:

sorry couldn't resist. :tongue_sm

tieguy

Banned
Staunch said:
So many drivers think that UPS wants to take over the Health & Welfare and Pension funds to raid them of our driver's future. It ain't so. I will say that many UPS management people are a bunch of ***** who'll steal a dollar from your pocket if you blink. But, this isn't the case with the Teamsters. What bothers UPS (The Fiscal Entity) is that for each dollar given to the Teamster for a UPS person, a certain amount is also collect for "Joe Snuffy" who retired from "O&A Transportation", which by the way, went out of business in 1981. Since the Teamsters are still responsible for the Pension and Health & Welfare of this fictional employee for his/her lifetime, they have to get the money somewhere. This is kinda like Social Security. They spent this guys money on a guy a generation older. A UPS driver is now paying his retirement. Who the hell is gonna pay yours? I hope UPS remains a healthy company so that we all get our pension and retirements.

Like I said, this is all factual. If you haven't heard this before, you will eventually. UPS is trying to figure out how to sell this to UPS Teamster employees so that they understand it clearly without responding with the usual Knee-Jerk rejection and skepticism that we are all guilty of.

UPS is probably the better bet than the USPS, but who really knows.

anyone else having problems following this person?

tieguy

Banned
moreluck said:
Scientists have discovered that a man can be frozen in a state of suspended animation for up to five years without losing his job at the post office. :)

LOL, Scientists also found that post offices in which all employees were frozen were much more productive then those that were not.

U

unionboss

tieguy said:
anyone else having problems following this person?

I don't get it all, but what I think this guy is trying to say is that UPS' expense for the Teamsters is not just limited to Teamster who are UPS employees. I have heard this several times over the last year.

UPS pays toward the Health fund and the Retirement fund as outlined by the Teamster agreement. If every dollar went to a UPS Teamster's welfare, it would go farther. This is supposedly not true. The money paid goes for all Teamster retirees. Every person who has ever retired from a Teamster represented company that is still living and drawing pension and health benefits gets a piece of the UPS money. There are few big Teamster represented companies still in business. The ones that are left are forced to subsidize all Teamsters, not just those who worked for that company.

My manager makes an argument (one that I can sort of buy into) that if only UPS Teamster benefited from UPS contributions to Teamsters that the retirement and health benefits would be far better. Of course, he makes the point that under the same scenario, that UPS could pay less to the Teamster Funds (if only for UPS Teamsters), and yet UPSers would get the same or better benefits. This is the company's (UPS') rationale for taking over the Teamster plans.

I heard the 300 company rhetoric myself. I have been told that UPS money goes to retirees of some 300 companies that no longer exist. Because they were represented by the Teamsters, these people benefit from UPS. At some level, the Teamster put all current participating company monies in a slush/general fund to benefit all retirees (UPS and otherwise).

So, I guess it is possible that Teamster fleece the existing companies to pay for the retirees of all companies.

If this is so, it kinda sucks. A non-union company doesn't have to deal with this. Whether they take good care of their employees is another matter, but it does leave them to shoulder the responsibility for only their employees and retirees.

I do think social security is a good example. I'm paying into something that I hope exists when I get old. My money is not being put in a 'lockbox' for me. It is being spent to pay for my parents and grandparents. Hopefully, my kids will pay into it for me.

If the Teamsters were rock-solid, none of this would matter much. However, because of the decline of the teamster membership, and the constant (over the decades) questionable financial practices of the Teamster leadership, I am a little worried.

I was a part-time supervisor, and I guess I'll never lose all my management feelings. I don't believe that UPS management is any less capable of managing my retirement than the teamsters. In fact, I would like them to manage my money, and the Teamsters to save my jobs. I would like to keep these things separate. I know that I am a minority in this view, though.

The Teamsters have done a lot for us members, but I don't know of any anything that the Teamster have built that has any of the lasting strength or prestige as have the UPS management people who built brown. I know it took teamster to get there, but I argue it could have been done without teamsters, too. It just takes good employees.

I guess you've picked up on my feelings about the teamsters. They have helped me in a couple of binds, but I don't see them as anything but paid protection. I don't mind paying for protection, but I'd rather have a fortune 500 company with a board of directors and FCC oversight handle my retirement. I know, I know, there is ENRON. However, I don't think anyone would ever compare Brown to ENRON.

I hope I haven't been just as hard to follow...

bear123

Preloader0375 said:
I currently work for UPS as a preloader and have gone through the process to be a rural route carrier for USPS. Having gone through my last interview the HR lady informed me that I would have to quit UPS (which I wasn't planning on doing) because I would be working for the competition, My hope was that I could continue doing both because both are partime, but if I am forced to chose I am leaning towards USPS because the pay is a little better and after gas money from driving to the center I will come out slightly ahead from only one day of work as a rural carrier.
Is it legal for the Post Office to force me to quit working at UPS ?

If I continued to work for UPS could the Post Office find out and use it against me ?

Does UPS have a similar policy for parttimers about working for the competition ?

Any help on these issues would be much apprecitated

I went through the same thing when i worked at Kinkos. I worked there for six years. In the mean time i had been with UPS for 25 years. When FedEx bought out Kinkos, Fed EX came down with a mandate that anyone working for UPS and works for Kinkos will have to make a choice of :no:either staying at Kinkos or leaving. After thinking about it for a nano second i told them that I will leave Kinkos. Kinkos mgmt was really supportive. They thought i should have been grandfathered in.

good luck

disneyworld

rd0127 said:
I don't drink coffee and I truly hope the Teamsters do right by you. I would never want that bunch of thieves in charge of my retirement. At least UPS corporate has to answer to the shareholders and government when it comes to it's finances. The teamsters are lead by corrupt people, their upper levels are and always have been run by a bunch of thugs. You have been brainwashed!

And as for UPS management. You need to take another look BABY, not too many of them anymore that were Teamsters. Most are hired in or just out of college nowadays. So what is it now, you hate them because they never drove a package car? Management just doesn't stand a chance with you it seems. Why does it have to always be us against them? Why can't everyone just want to have a great job with a great company and end up with a great retirement benefit to see you through until the end?
They both SUCK!!!! Which is why,after 18 yrs,I'm getting out. I've had enough of being a pawn.

aspenleaf

You just found this out after 18 years that you were a pawn? No matter what job you have you are the pawn of someone or something. I hope you are retiring and not starting over. Not sure what job market you'd be in but they all seem to "suck" the same. It really depends on what you want out of the job and what you bring to it each day. Sorry it didn't work out for you and best wishes for your future.

disneyworld

C'mon,give me SOME credit.I may have been a fool for staying this long but I knew they sucked from the very beginning. Once PAS came along,it was the kick in the ass I needed. It's not that bad of a job when you're young and single. About a month ago I kissed my girls goodnight on Monday and didn't see them awake again until Saturday morning,I worked til after 9 for 4days(It's not the first time and I'm sure others have many times as well) but I decided to get out.And the letter from Union about the increase in retirement age too.

Last edited:

aspenleaf

I was not trying to say you are a fool or anything. Just that we as a whole in this country are very overworked in any job. Everyone is working longer hours and having less time off. We are working ourselves to death. Work seems to consume our lives and it is very hard to even forget about it while on vacation. At my last job I worked 4 10 hour days and then had to do another 10 hour day for OT plus they would add 2 more hours to each day but not tell you until just before you were clocking out (due to the huge layoffs). Our breaks and lunch had a set time and you had to IM a supervisor ever time you left for break or lunch to ask permission. If there were too many calls coming in you didn't get to go until later or not at all. I never saw my family either and the job still wanted more (such as coming in on my weekend!) To get through my days I used to pretend I was on one of those reality tv shows. I hope you find something that will let you see your family.