Sign of things to come

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Today, while entering the bank, I noticed a sign that was in bold spanish up top, with the small english version underneath. I figured that the other side would have english on top in bold, and the spanish under it. But nope, it was the same on both sides.

I guess the final mexican/american war is being lost without the first shot being fired. At the rate of the last two years, spanish will be the national language within the next 5 years.

We are the only country in the world that has been forced into this type of behavior. Why?

d

moreluck

golden ticket member
This is exactly the reason I won't but Charmin anymore. In our Albertsons' store awhile back, the package of Charmin was totally printed in Spanish except for the word, "Charmin".
Sometimes there's not much we can do, but I choose the products in our house and I spend the bulk of the $$$, so I make the choices.

I get ticked off when I go into El Polo Loco and order something using the exact phrase on their menu and I get the look from the workers as if they don't know what the heck I'm saying.

My cousin, who is a teacher, in Central CA. was almost forced to learn Spanish in order to keep her teaching job. H-E-L-L-O

We deal with these things on a daily basis. I still feel if you want to live & function here, learn the language.

Average at Best

I going to start speaking German exclusively. That's what my ancestors spoke when they came over. In retrospect, they were kind of spineless to give up their native language and learn English.

Ich speche kein Englisch! Ich spreche nur Deutsches!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
This whole thing is ludicrous. If I am going to Mexico then I at least make an attempt to learn/speak the language. Uno mas cervaza, por favor! There is absolutely no reason, other than being inconsiderate, why one should not learn the english language since they are in OUR country. I have a KFC on my route and other than the manager no one can speak english. Sometimes, I am tempted to enter MEXICAN for the signature.

satellitedriver

This whole subject of language, baffles me.
This is a nation of laws.
All our laws are written in English.
The number one language taught worldwide, is English.
The language of business worldwide, is English.
When the heck did we fall into this rabbit hole?
I will just have to ask Alice next time I see her.

Channahon

I have a niece with red hair and green eyes who has been teaching high school spanish for 10 years. And she has no problem responding in spanish, if someone is being disprectful to a non Hispanic person. Now there is a priceless look.

She is also looking to be an interpreter for the court systems, as a secodary career. That career seems to be more lucrative than teaching.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I got a solution to the problem.

Since most of the Mexicans are here, lets invade Mexico since there are not many there left to defend it, and make it the 51-55 states. That way, they no longer have a country to go back to, and they can all stay here. And we change the language to american english as well.

Otherwise, as I said, they will have invaded and conquered without ever firing a shot.

d

DS

Fenderbender
From another perspective,up here in the great white north,there is no Spanish on anything unless you go to a specialty store.
Everything here is written bilingual,French and English.I'm not sure of the real stats,but I bet less than 10% of Canadians speak French as thier first language.Its a sore spot for some anglophiles that say its a huge waste of taxpayer money to spend so much tax money on such a small percentage of the total population,but the French people played a huge role in our heritage and in making Canada what it is today.
Francophone Quebecers think that they are a "distinct society" and that they should have every right to everything everyone else that comes with being Canadian,and I agree with them.
When the USA attacked us in 1775 french,english and indians formed an alliance and successfully thwarted the attempt.
If George Washington had got his wish,his attack on Quebec city way back when then we'd all be Americans now.
phew...no hillarbama crap

sorry for the rant

satellitedriver

Today, while entering the bank, I noticed a sign that was in bold spanish up top, with the small english version underneath. I figured that the other side would have english on top in bold, and the spanish under it. But nope, it was the same on both sides.

I guess the final mexican/american war is being lost without the first shot being fired. At the rate of the last two years, spanish will be the national language within the next 5 years.

We are the only country in the world that has been forced into this type of behavior. Why?

d
Dan,
Have you not seen our new UPS delivery notices?
Heck, they stick an inch out of your pocket with all the Spanish translations added to them.
UPS has jumped on this band wagon.
We are a Global company, now, not a U.S. based company.
You asked this question;
My only answer is because we allow it, to our detriment.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Didn't Mexico Own this place at one time, you took their land , give em a break ! When you eat Mexican food they have English translations in the menu. When you go to any vacation spot in Mexico they have English signs and try to speak English to the visitors.
Who cares , go into china town and everything is in Chinese go in to little Korea and everything is in Korean. It makes sense to cater to your customers, if putting signs in Spanish attracts a little more buisness then go for it.
Is the problem that the English was underneath the Spanish ? LOL, you guys take offence to easily.

helenofcalifornia

I read somewhere that Spanish has more of a chance of being the unused language than English. First generation immigrants speak their own language exclusively, second generation speak both their native language and English, third generation speak only English. So by these standards, Spanish will be the unspoken language in three generations. I like Spanish and wish I spoke it fluently. If you have ever done a literal translation of the language, it is beautiful. Intellectually, I understand the resentment to illegal immigration. Emotionally, dude, these people are not cutting it in their own corrupt countries and want better for their families. I would do the same if my family was starving in Mexico. Again, intellectually I understand the problems. As a mother, I think of the kids and their hunger and lack of opportunity. (And I know this doesn't apply to all illegal immigrants) OK, let the angry flack flow my way. Just my humble opinion. I don't know what the answer is.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I respect Helen's opinion. I lean more toward the "intellectual" side of her opinion about illegals.

Here's a little story....nothing major. We deal with the language barrier daily....especially if you frequent fast food places. I know these barriers exist, so the other day I received coupons from Carl's Jr. in the mail. On one coupon was a big colored picture of a Jalapeno Chicken sandwich. It said, "buy one get one free."

So, I cut out the coupon (picture and all). My hubby and I went to Carl's Jr. for lunch. I gave the coupon to the order-taker, an Hispanic woman. I said, "We would like 2 of these please".

When she delivered our order, it was 2 jalapeno burgers.

I was mad at first because even with a clear picture our order was misunderstood. However, those burgers were so damn good that I couldn't stay mad. No harm done, but there definitely is a language barrier and I don't think I should have to learn Spanish in the USA just to communicate in a USA restaurant.

Granted, if I went to Mexico, I would have to learn some basic Spanish because I wouldn't expect the citizens to cater to me and my ways.

This is why I will not leave the border of the US. Stay her, speak English.....we're not changing for you.

helenofcalifornia

My boy at age 16 applied to work at McDonald's. Isn't that the ritual first job for millions of kids, right? Hard NOT to be hired at McDonalds, right? Well, he didn't get hired and the only reason I could think of was that he was the only one not to speak spanish there. Now, I could be wrong, but...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Is the problem that the English was underneath the Spanish ?
No silly, there was no translation at all, both sides were 100% spanish. And that was the reason for the post.

As for 3 generations, I know how hard it is to learn another language when you move to a different country. I watched my mother and father go through that. But they did it out of a sense of pride and honor. They wanted to learn the language.

And that is so unlike what we are subjected to with this mass migration. They are not interested in learning it at all. To the contrary, there are some that have already lived here for 30+ years and have never learned the first word of English. They have not paid taxes, but yet have gotten all the benifits of the system that we all have to pay into. He had even gotten an organ transplant for free here.

I understand the mass migration. For a better life, we all would do the same. But at least the majority of us would either do it legally, or at the very least try to not offend those that are allowing us in. But the opposite is occuring.

And that does have a way of tweaking my nose.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
And Mexicans, real Mexicans, are the nicest people you will ever meet on this Earth.
And hard working. We have had mexican workers here helping us with the house. Young men by my standard, in their 20's, and they worked their butts off. Their wives/girlfriends brought them lunch and they willing shared with us. Of course we provided beverages for them, as well as food. Mostly the mexican people are kind and generous, but like our own society there are bad eggs.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Silly Dilly

The two of you ladies are confusing the issue. For the most part, they are very nice, and many want to learn the language. Bur more than that, they want to provide the American dream for their families. I for one could support that very openly.

If they want to stay, thats fine, lets get them legal, paying taxes, and main lined into our education system. Not be forced to build schools that teach in spanish, or force teachers to develop a curriculum in both languages. That is not making wise use of a system that is already failing because of the dumbing down of the educational system.

They want in, let them come. But if they want to stay, learn the language, dont force us to learn theirs.

They are our guests, not the other way around.

d

BigBrownSanta

Does anyone know the learning curve for learning english? Will a 30 year old foreign-born person absorb and learn english as quickly as a toddler who grows up hearing and speaking english? English is a very difficult language to learn. Most of us don't understand that because we grew up with english. Learning english is not an over night experience. You don't read the book and instantly become proficient. One word in english may have 5 different meanings, whereas in other languages those 5 meanings will have 5 different words. If you throw in some slang, then they will be thoroughly confused. So, when you see a sign in spanish, maybe you should remember that not everyone is at 100% proficiency of the english language. You would be appreciative of the same if you were in a foreign country.

dannyboy - When a guest stays in your home I know you expect them to abide by your rules, but at the same time, do you not work to accommodate them?

UK-guy is right, we do take offense too easily.

trickpony1

I have a novel idea......

America should send troops to liberate the Mexican people from the corrupt Mexican government then all the Mexicans will want to stay in Mexico.

Problem solved.