"Slowing down" and possible repurcussions....

midwestmess

I had my own route for 3 years but recently lost it because I was bumped and placed back into the coverage driver pool even though there are junior employees with routes. Now I'm turning the tables and bidding coverage routes I don't know and running them blind. I tell center manager that I don't route but that I will make sure I'm off the clock by 10:30 because being a coverage driver there can't be any expectations as far as over/under that I run. You should see the stop count go down after my second 9.5 day. I give 100% everyday but not knowing the area I make safety my first priority. Runners beware you only have one body and probably many years left ahead of you before you can retire.

22.34life

this is all depends on how the phrase "slow down" is used.if you are simply telling another driver to follow the speed limit and drive safe than their will be no problem,but managment will always look at this as telling another person to WORK slower on purpose or "work stoppage".i dont know about about being fired for telling another driver to work slower but you are not supposed to tell another employee to slow down on purpose especially if you are a union steward.

brownedout

I have been quilty of telling covers to slow down (production) in the past. Can no longer do this. Management has locked in my 2 main covers to a number. Can you believe that! Each got 3 day ride while covering and are locked-in to those numbers. Unbelievable! Really, what next? Anyway back to the suppossed point of the thread. This practice (drivers telling their covers to not work so fast) has been going on in this company long before any of us got there. It was more than likely done/said to most, if not all of us. Doesn't make it right or wrong. Just is what it is.

rod

Retired 22 years
If you had a high mileage rural route it used to be easy to slow them down if they burned your route. Just take your card box home when you went on vacation. (the old timers will understand)