Sounding Horn and Warning Letters and the Law

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
When I know a family has a newborn, I will stick a blank del. notice on the sidelights next to the door, or on any glass on the door itself. Seeing the dark image from inside the house, they will come out to investigate.

Silent, but effective.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
UPS management hates babies. They want them not to nap and be cranky due to horn blasting.

ducktape

Take a look at ups's facebook page. The number one complaint is the driver didn't ring the doorbell. Sometimes I ring it twice. I don't care whose sleeping!!

its illegal in my state to honk your horn for no reason. I would love to get a warning letter for this.
Well that's my point....seems to be illegal in my state as well. I've highlighted the legality of the statute. Yet they are mandating that we do it, not sure if a warning letter would stick or not.
horn.png

They tell u to honk the horn. Honk it. Pick your battles. This one is pointless.
Trouble is, too many battles to pick lately. Really tired of the petty crap I'm dealing with and I'm starting to push back when I can while trying to avoid discipline.
Won't let me drink my coffee at the PCM after 22 years of doing so.....now I take a 20 minute break during the first hour, forcing them to find air help for me.
Giving me fecal matter about running 1.5 to 2 hours over(when all cover drivers are running the same or worse on my route).....now I will be opting in for the 9.5 list.
And I also plan to announce to them via diad that I will no longer be accepting their many work related calls daily on my personal cell phone anymore.
Will this put a target on my back? Hell no....we all seem to have targets on our backs as it is. No difference.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Well that's my point....seems to be illegal in my state as well. I've highlighted the legality of the statute. Yet they are mandating that we do it, not sure if a warning letter would stick or not.View attachment 69197

Trouble is, too many battles to pick lately. Really tired of the petty crap I'm dealing with and I'm starting to push back when I can while trying to avoid discipline.
Won't let me drink my coffee at the PCM after 22 years of doing so.....now I take a 20 minute break during the first hour, forcing them to find air help for me.
Giving me fecal matter about running 1.5 to 2 hours over(when all cover drivers are running the same or worse on my route).....now I will be opting in for the 9.5 list.
And I also plan to announce to them via diad that I will no longer be accepting their many work related calls daily on my personal cell phone anymore.
Will this put a target on my back? Hell no....we all seem to have targets on our backs as it is. No difference.
Sounds like your mgmt team has done what we call down south, "pissed in their whiskey". I have been in your shoes. I had a sup once that was mad at the world and wanted everyone around him to be as miserable as him. Last I heard, he's the pride and joy of Red Lobster.

ManInBrown

I'll be honest I honk the horn at every single stop. It's the slightest tap but I do it because of the dogs. I don't want to get bit. It alerts dogs.

S

selfcancelsignal

Take a look at ups's facebook page. The number one complaint is the driver didn't ring the doorbell. Sometimes I ring it twice. I don't care whose sleeping!!
It's free, it notifies you when & where, & it's called My Choice resi. custies! "Learn it, know it, live it"!

Savvy412

Ya I hate the horn thing . I'm naturally not a beeper so , it annoys me . Some days I do. Some I don't .

I got yelled at by A lady for not ringing the doorbell so I normally do now . The people with newborns usually have a sign on the door that says do not ring bell , baby sleeping

Cementups

Box Monkey
UPS wants us to blow the horn at every stop when we are coming to a stop. This is not for safety at all.....It is to try to alert a home owner to come running out of his house and meet us to save a millisecond or have some very busy business owner on the 2nd floor of a building drop what he is doing and come running down 2 flights of stairs to grab his pkg.

You are completely incorrect on this. Honking the horn at delivery points is for the safety of both you and the customer. It is NOT about making your job easier. Honking the horn let's the customer know someone is around for instances like making sure the dog and children are secured and not running out into the street or under your vehicle. Making the customer aware of your presence is indeed a safety issue in more ways than the one I mentioned. Having your customers "trained" to come out to your truck to retrieve their goods is just an added bonus. Myself, being lazy, I love having them get their stuff. The less I have to get out of the truck the better.

By The Book

1 of our drivers delivers the town 8 miles east of our center & he's by the book. I've heard complaints from 2 people I know that live there, "Does every UPS driver honk their horn at every stop? It sure is annoying!" or, "I was waiting for someone to pick me up & wasn't finished changing my clothes. I heard a horn thinking it was the person picking me up, but no, it was the UPS guy. Tell him he needs to knock that off!" Haha. I just tell them it's part of our training & methods, but I don't do it. He's by the book. What else can I say or do?
That's twice you said he's by the book....I'm by the book....but you knew that.

moldsporh

I've never believed in sounding the horn at each stop....and I don't do it. May sound good as an idea, but it's not practical.

Mailman doesn't sound the horn and the homeowner knows to get their mail everyday.

FedEx doesn't sound their horn and customers get the stuff.

UPS can deliver and just like everyone else, customer receiving updates about tracking, know their pkg is arriving that day

I like to keep the dogs quiet, that way I can get back to the truck before they are trying to get to me...I'm sure the homeowners prefer to have us just knock or ring a bell, if they have sleeping babies, generally there's a note on the doorbell or the door.

It's not rocket science, stop truck, take package to door, knock and/or ring, walk back to truck.

The whole freaking neighborhood doesn't need some circus truck wailing on the horn all the way down the freaking street

HEY EVERYONE.....IT'S ME....I'M COMING DOWN THE ROAD AND GONNA BLOW THE HORN FOR THE NEXT 5 MIN DISTRACTING AND ANNOYING PEOPLE!

You want to know what is a little more safer than blowing the horn?

A backup beeper that as designed....faces the rear and always turns on, no driver error....it always works...instead of a forward facing horn for backing up about 20 feet from the rear of the vehicle.

Should be like this in feeders also, the trailers are practically silent when rolling backwards....we already had one person killed not too long ago on a dock from a feeder trailer because he didn't hear the trailer....had nowhere to go, they found him the next morning.

A $5 beeper would have saved his life.

You are completely incorrect on this. Honking the horn at delivery points is for the safety of both you and the customer. It is NOT about making your job easier. Honking the horn let's the customer know someone is around for instances like making sure the dog and children are secured and not running out into the street or under your vehicle. Making the customer aware of your presence is indeed a safety issue in more ways than the one I mentioned. Having your customers "trained" to come out to your truck to retrieve their goods is just an added bonus. Myself, being lazy, I love having them get their stuff. The less I have to get out of the truck the better.
I will agree with the horn possibly alerting us to the presence of dogs but after doing my current route for 15 years, not only do I know who has dogs but I also know the name and age of every dog on my route and which ones may present a problem.
Honking the horn at commercial addresses? Really? Many of them are 3 floors with multiple businesses...absolutely no safety in honking the horn there and this is where I was warned about not honking.
If it were really about safety, wouldn't it make more sense for us to honk the horn after we have made the stop and back in vehicle.....to warn others vehicle is about to proceed. This is the most likely time a child might be curious and may be near the vehicle where we can't see them.