Southern Region Supplement Question

Denreed

I have been a cover driver for four of the seven years that I have been with UPS. My primary classification is a pre-loader. Within those fours years, on numerous occasions, I have been asked to drive a full route. Three times this past week i've worked 14 hour days. More than I can count, i've been called upon to give air help, working over the 1 hour minimum of what my question is about.
In the Southern Region Supplement, ARTICLE 58 – HOURS OF WORK AND OVERTIME, SECTION 3 – COMPENSATION FOR WORK IN DIFFERENT CLASSIFICATIONS it states:
"An employee may be required to work in more than one (1) job classification within any workday, but shall be compensated at the rate applicable to the highest rated classification for all work performed during that day. In order to qualify, an employee shall work a minimum of one (1) hour in the higher classification. This provision shall not apply to the occasional spotting or shifting of equipment at the operating Center. When an employee is requested to work in the lower rated classification, he/she shall receive his/her regular rate of pay for all such lower-rated work performed."
Does this apply to me?
I have never been compensated at the higher rate for the job performed. I always get paid for the pre-load rate for the hours; then the higher cover and air rates are paid for the hours I perform those duties.
Shouldn't I get paid the higher rate for those pre-load hours?
I brought this to the attention to my union steward but he claims that this doesn't apply to me.
If not me than who?
I've never filed a grievance for anything, I've always followed the advice of my steward, but I'm not to sure about this one.
Thanks for any insight you can give, this is by first post.

By The Book

I have been a cover driver for four of the seven years that I have been with UPS. My primary classification is a pre-loader. Within those fours years, on numerous occasions, I have been asked to drive a full route. Three times this past week i've worked 14 hour days. More than I can count, i've been called upon to give air help, working over the 1 hour minimum of what my question is about.
In the Southern Region Supplement, ARTICLE 58 – HOURS OF WORK AND OVERTIME, SECTION 3 – COMPENSATION FOR WORK IN DIFFERENT CLASSIFICATIONS it states:
"An employee may be required to work in more than one (1) job classification within any workday, but shall be compensated at the rate applicable to the highest rated classification for all work performed during that day. In order to qualify, an employee shall work a minimum of one (1) hour in the higher classification. This provision shall not apply to the occasional spotting or shifting of equipment at the operating Center. When an employee is requested to work in the lower rated classification, he/she shall receive his/her regular rate of pay for all such lower-rated work performed."
Does this apply to me?
I have never been compensated at the higher rate for the job performed. I always get paid for the pre-load rate for the hours; then the higher cover and air rates are paid for the hours I perform those duties.
I brought this to the attention to my union steward but he claims that this doesn't apply to me.
If not me than who?
I've never filed a grievance for anything, I've always followed the advice of my steward, but I'm not to sure about this one.
Have you spoken to your business agent? If not you need to call your local union office. On most occasions if you perform driving duties, and work as a preloader for example you should be paid at the higher rate of pay for all hours worked that day. Your language seems to support this.

Have you spoken to your business agent? If not you need to call your local union office. On most occasions if you perform driving duties, and work as a preloader for example you should be paid at the higher rate of pay for all hours worked that day. Your language seems to support this.
I'm in different supplement but have similar language.
He should get paid at the higher rate. No questions asked.

Like I tell many of my coworkers, keep a notebook.

clean hairy

Not sure as to your original question, but it then raises another question.
What rate of pay is used to determine your overtime as well?
I gree with getting the answer from the local.

Denreed

My overtime is always paid @ the driver rate, after 8 hours of the combined time. That has never been an issue. I would not even question it but I went from #1 cover to #3 because they sent 2 jobber to school (one with 1 day seniority and another frail senior employee that has already filled 3 W/C claims) and peak counted towards their 30 days. This was to prevent me from reaching my 156 again this year, they don't want to have to add another full time position. Last year I created a full time position for another "senior" employee.

Denreed

One more thing, When a local short person drives and they stay on and works the sort/clerking, they do receive the higher rate. I did bring that up to my steward, I was told that they were lucky. Didn't know "luck" was something the union and management agreed upon in the contract.

PT Car Washer

My guess is you are working under Art 40 Air exception work. When you are delivering ground you should be paid at top driver rate. Art 40 supersede language in all Supplements, riders and Addenda.

By The Book

My guess is you are working under Art 40 Air exception work. When you are delivering ground you should be paid at top driver rate. Art 40 supersede language in all Supplements, riders and Addenda.
If there are ground deliveries/work or the handling of ground he would get top driver rate.

govols019

You smell that?
Your steward is right...that language doesn't apply to TCD/preloader. The language you are looking for is in the Letter Of Understanding for Art.49, Sec.7.

Denreed

yes Hairy, it shows a preload rate, air rate and driver rare with the corresponding hours beside the rate.

Thanks govols, that clarifies it, the answer is basically no. Bummer, thanks anyway guys for the insite.

ARTICLE 49, SECTION 7 Temporary Cover Drivers Rate of Pay

Preload Employees: If an employee on the preload operation, who is a TCD, who works their regular shift, and then covers for a full-time Service Provider for an unplanned absence, and starts within an hour and a half of the full time Service Providers start time, he/she would be paid their inside rate for those hours in the preload operation, and the remaining hours to be paid at the TCD rate, he/she would be guaranteed eight (8) hours in combination of preload hours and TCD hours, any hours over eight (8) would be paid at the TCD rate of pay including any OT hours.

Overpaid Union Thug

Does this apply to me?
If not me than who?
As a TCD/Air driver you get paid driver pay for all hours worked on road and the inside rate for anything inside. In your case the higher rate only applies when you are an air driver and start delivering and/or picking up ground. Once you go full-time you would get your full-time driver rate for any extra work inside. It's strange..... I know.....but that's how it is.

BrownTexas

As a TCD/Air driver you get paid driver pay for all hours worked on road and the inside rate for anything inside. In your case the higher rate only applies when you are an air driver and start delivering and/or picking up ground. Once you go full-time you would get your full-time driver rate for any extra work inside. It's strange..... I know.....but that's how it is.
Not true. If you preload in the morning and they ask you to drive, all time should be paid as TCD rate. They aren't just going to pay you for it. You will have to file and you will win.

govols019

You smell that?
In the Southern Region, it is true. The only time you would get driver pay for the whole day is if they knew before hand that they were gonna require you to do both jobs. If you are covering for a unplanned call-in then you only get driver pay for the time you actually drove.