"special sort" sunday after thanksgiving

livin the dream

anyone else have a sign up sheet for a "special sort" the sunday after black friday? judging by that and that we've been very heavy since early october, i'm assuming this is just another indicator of how destroyed we're going to be during peak.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Yes. Every weekend Nov.-Dec. These sorts are special alright that's for sure. You'll get time and a half all day on Friday if you work the Sunday sort. Some weeks during peak we have these "special/optional" sorts on Saturday and Sunday. Which means if you work Sunday you'll get time and and a half all day Friday and double pay all day Saturday (Southern Supplement). Take all the work you can get and this job is almost worth it.

Brooklyn®

Since October my hub / location has been having Sunday sort. 2am - 6am. Also Mondays a selected few start time has been 2pm. As far as sign sheet i haven't seen one yet.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Peak volume seems to be hitting earlier than ever this year in the hubs. Feeders is projecting over 50+ additional trailer loads for the Day Sort on Sundays of Amazon alone. We've been working Sunday Twilight sorts here during peak for the last 3+ years. The Sunday "special sorts" probably have a lot to do with the explosion of e-commerce on Cyber Monday.

Our tightwad Division Manager has been allowing the sort managers to work doubles seemingly at will for the last month or so. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that so few of the late-September/seasonal hires have actually stuck around.

laffter

Overall, we've been light so far this peak compared to the past two years. I don't know what's going on. I don't know if they're creating too many routes to lighten everyone's load or if the volume just isn't here yet. I load/help on a mall route that had 80 stops yesterday. Off-peak, 120 isn't unusual. This is very strange. I started helping this peak one week later than last year.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
"we've been light so far this peak"
I don't ever remember "peak" prior to Thanksgiving. Usually it's a slow step up from September (back to school) through Turkey Day, then the real package volume spike begins.