Spina bifida awareness

rkctkc

October is spina bifida awareness month. I have a 10 year old son with spina bifida. He is wheel chair bound and talks with sono flex and eats through a g tube. He is the best, wouldn't know what to do without him. Just like any other kid, he loves video games, and he has gotten into some dirty movies lately on netflix, oh my he is growing up. This disability affects roughly 1 in 1000 people and is formed withing the first month of pregnancy. Most people don't even know they're pregnant by the time it happens. Folic acid. Folic acid. Folic acid. Did I say folic acid? If you are planning to have children, please take your prenatal supplements and include some folic acid to help prevent spina bifida.

spinabifidaassociation.org

rkctkc

Breast cancer month over shadows spina bifida by a long shot but it doesn't hurt to have more than one awareness campaign in the same month.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I agree. I have 2 nieces with spina bifida. One is so severe, she was only suppose to live til her teens according to doctors.....she's the same age as mine....in her 40's now. Hooray Christine !!

moreluck

golden ticket member
My first thought was....... what a productive life Christine has led.......working at the paper (Akron Beacon Journal), trying to be self-sufficient from a wheelchair. She had parents who treated her like the other 5 kids and didn't spoil her rotten.
Quality of life is defined differently for each person.
Sometimes it's as simple as the mother needs to take folic acid during pregnancy so the chances of spina bifida can be reduced..