Stop Discrimination in UPS especially in UPS Management!!!

Mike Hawk

My center has 40ish drivers, one hispanic male, one asian male and the rest white males. Of all the PT hourlies, there are three females, two female peak hires, that will be gone by January, and two black males out of around 30ish PT.
Eight white males and four white females in management.
My center is a great example of racial/sexual diversity!

AT Hiker

Equal Employment Opportunity is the Federal Law, USE IT!!! It doesn’t cost you and you don’t need an attorney either to file a charge against any employer with Equal Employment Opportunity Commission www.eeoc.gov

It's not about Blacks, Whites, Latinos or Asians. It's all about fairness at work.

Walgreen to settle race lawsuit
America's largest pharmacy chain, Walgreen, has agreed to pay $20m to settle a federal lawsuit alleging discrimination against black workers.

The Equal Employment Opportunities Commission (EEOC) - a watchdog agency - says Walgreen sent black staff to low-performing stores in black areas.
African-American employees, including pharmacists and managers, were also denied promotions, the EEOC claims.
The settlement deal must still be approved by a federal judge.
"We commend Walgreen for working cooperatively with us to reach an amicable settlement of this case without protracted litigation," EEOC Chair Naomi Earp said in a statement.
Walgreen, who has denied the allegations throughout, said it was glad to have resolved the issue.
Sharing the money
The EEOC launched its case after carrying out an investigation into 12 complaints filed by current and former Walgreen staff across the country.
Most of the complaints in the class action suit came from workers and former staff in St Louis, Florida, Detroit and Kansas City.
Lawyers say the $20 million (£9.8 million) will be split among lawyers who handled the case and the more than 7,500 employees who brought a class action against the company. Walgreen says it is the largest US pharmacy chain by sales, with more than 5,638 stores in 48 states and Puerto Rico, and recorded sales of $47.4bn (£24.5bn) in the 2006 financial year.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Myron named to the UPS Management Committee

Let me know how close I am.

Closer than we thought...Congratulations!!!

Jim Winestock, a 40-year veteran of UPS who for the past four years has overseen all package operations in the United States, will retire in February.
He will be succeeded as the senior vice president of U.S. operations by Myron Gray, currently the head of UPS’s regional operations in Canada and all of Latin America.
In his new position, the 51-year-old Gray will join UPS’s Management Committee, comprised of the company’s 12 most senior executives.
... Davis continued. “Myron has decades of experience in the package operation, but also has worked in industrial engineering and business development in addition to his international experience heading the Americas Region. It is a testament to the strength and depth of our management team that we have such high-caliber managers who can step up.”
Gray joined UPS in 1978 as a part-time package handler in the Tennessee District while attending the University of Memphis. He subsequently earned a degree in business administration and also has completed advanced management programs at INSEAD in Fontainebleau, France, and the Yale School of Business.
In 1984, Gray became a package delivery driver and then was promoted to operations supervisor. He was promoted in 1989 to a package division manager in delivery operations and from 1989 to 1995, rotated through a variety of assignments in Tennessee and California.
In 1995, he was promoted to vice president and COO of the Southeast Texas District and three years later, assumed command of UPS’s Rocky Mountain District.
In 2001, Gray moved to Atlanta to take on a special corporate assignment and in 2002, was promoted to president of the Southwest Region. He took over
the North Central Region in 2004, then assumed command of UPS’s Americas Region in January 2008.
For the past 17 years, he has been an active participant in the Black Executive Exchange Program sponsored by the National Urban League. He is a member of the Dillard University Board of Trustees; the Miami-Dade United Way Board of Trustees, and serves as a director of CLADEC (Central and Latin American Express Delivery Conference).

As a Black manager who busted his ass to get to my position i find the comments on the thread very disheartining and im shocked. One thing im very proud about ups(probably the only thing) is its great diversity. So many people from different necks of the woods working together and getting along. As a manager I've always treated everyone the same, even if someone looked like me. But judging from this thread i think its safe to believe that all the white ups employees at my job think im some kind of idiot who got over because of my skin. Ive never had help, always had to work harder than everyone around me in everything that i did, nobody helped me pay for college or anything. This thread changed alot of my views towards ups employees.

diesel96

UPS was the best company with less than the brightest people in the world before we went public. Now we are just a large corporately run enterprise with LESS than the world's brightest working for it and an enormously overpaid workforce relative to our competition throughout the world. THIS AIN'T NO PARTNERSHIP.

Transporting a pkg from point A to point B may not be rocket science, but comparing our workforce's payscale to workload ratio vs our competition is a bit like comparing a Ferrari to a Pinto.

As a Black manager who busted his ass to get to my position i find the comments on the thread very disheartining and im shocked. One thing im very proud about ups(probably the only thing) is its great diversity. So many people from different necks of the woods working together and getting along. As a manager I've always treated everyone the same, even if someone looked like me. But judging from this thread i think its safe to believe that all the white ups employees at my job think im some kind of idiot who got over because of my skin. Ive never had help, always had to work harder than everyone around me in everything that i did, nobody helped me pay for college or anything. This thread changed alot of my views towards ups employees.

Hundreds of thousands of employees work for UPS and a "few" posters have you convinced that "all" white people think your some kind of idiot. I'm here to tell you, your not an idiot, and I'm not saying that as an apologist either. Don't take this site as a barometer of what people post pertains to you personally. I'm sure you deserve to be where you are today and this is nothing new to you growing up living the black experience. As a manager, continue treating everyone the same, like you said before.

evilleace

At my hub we only have one black pt hourly that I know of and and only 2 ft. drivers that are black also only 2 ft. driver that is a female and one female pt employees. But we have had more females in the past in the pt ranks but only 3 at one time out of about 30-40 pt employees on my shift. I don't care what color or gender the person is as long as they are respectful of others listen to instruction and do their share of the work.

upandcomer

I LOVE MY LACK OF DIVERSITY!!!

So, 32% of the population is a minority, yet 35% of our employees are minorities, and 30% of our management. I would think the management number is probably the highest percentage of any FORTUNE company in the world.

UPS People
Diversity and UPS People
UPS´s workforce is multicultural, multidimensional, and reflective of the broad attributes of our global communities. In fact, each year since 1999, UPS has been consecutively ranked by FORTUNE® magazine as one of the "50 Best Companies for Minorities."

UPS understands that diversity encompasses more than ethnicity, gender, and age. It´s how employees think, the ideas they contribute, and their general attitude toward work and life.

Diversity is encouraged by recognizing the value of people´s different experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives. Diversity is a valuable, core component of UPS because it brings a wider range of resources, skills, and ideas to the business.

Long-standing company policies - such as employee ownership, equal opportunity, promotion from within, and teamwork - have helped make UPS a preferred employer. Diversity impacts UPS´s business from many perspectives, whether it´s in meeting the needs of a diverse customer base, working with a diverse supplier network, or gaining momentum from the varied contributions of our diverse workforce.

• African-Americans, Hispanics, Asian-Pacific Americans and other minorities make up 35 percent of the company´s 348,400 employees in the United States.
  • Minorities accounted for half of UPS´s new employees in 2005.
  • Women represent 28 percent of the U.S. management team and 20 percent of the overall workforce, holding jobs from package handlers, to drivers, to senior management and to the UPS Board of Directors.
  • Among the company´s 63,000 U.S. managers, minorities hold nearly 30 percent of those executive positions. Positions held include district managers, the UPS Management Committee, and UPS´s Board of Directors.

UPS Diversity Steering Council
UPS expects diversity to be fostered and encouraged by every UPSer in their daily commitment to the company.

UPS also has a Diversity Steering Council whose vision is to "ensure that workforce, customer, and supplier diversity remain a visible core value that is integral to our business, our community relationships, and The UPS Charter."

The UPS Diversity Steering Council is co-chaired by Chairman and CEO Mike Eskew, and Senior Vice President, Human Resources and Public Affairs Allen Hill. This cross-functional council consists of internal and external representatives.

Employer of Choice
UPS is frequently recognized for its commitment to diversity. For the past seven years, UPS has been consecutively ranked by Fortune magazine as one of 50 Best Companies for Minorities.

UPS was profiled as a leader in Hispanic magazine´s 13th annual Corporate 100 list, "a list of the top U.S. companies that excel in creating business and job opportunities for Hispanic Americans, as well as donating to philanthropies that target Latino communities."

Since 2000, UPS has been consecutively named a top corporation for Women´s Business Enterprises (WBEs)

UPS was honored with the coveted NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) Corporate Citizen of the Year Award.

UPS placed third in DiversityInc.com´s Diversity Top 30 poll. The poll rates corporations on a range of criteria from employment and advancement of people of color to advertising in ethnic media.
by the Women´s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC).
1.gif