Stuck in the snow

barnyard

KTM rider
If you still have mats on the floor of the cargo area, pull them out and stuff them by your rear wheels. Lots of times, it will give you enough traction to get out.

I've been stuck 4 times this year and have not needed a tow yet.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If you still have mats on the floor of the cargo area, pull them out and stuff them by your rear wheels. Lots of times, it will give you enough traction to get out.

I've been stuck 4 times this year and have not needed a tow yet.
We have traction mats. Once the rears get thru the snow, thru the ice and onto the gravel, it creates a hole you can't get out of.

barnyard

KTM rider
I put the cargo mats down 1st, then put the traction strips on top of those. The mats provide a really large area to grip and the strips grab onto the tires, but do not spit out the back.

I had a front tire drop off a driveway and with the cargo mat and traction strip, it backed right out. Actually, all 4 of my stucks turned out well because I used both. I have used just the strips and gone nowhere. Using both has worked well enough that if I am on a route that does not have cargo mats, I write it up so it gets some.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I put the cargo mats down 1st, then put the traction strips on top of those. The mats provide a really large area to grip and the strips grab onto the tires, but do not spit out the back.

I had a front tire drop off a driveway and with the cargo mat and traction strip, it backed right out. Actually, all 4 of my stucks turned out well because I used both. I have used just the strips and gone nowhere. Using both has worked well enough that if I am on a route that does not have cargo mats, I write it up so it gets some.
I have no cargo mats. I enjoy sliding around in the back of my truck. A truck with single rear tires in 8 inches of snow on top of ice only gets out with help.

Re-Raise

I carry a 25 ft log chain with me, and I am never more than 15 minutes from someone I know with enough horsepower to pull me out. I have never needed a tow truck.

bham brown

Did the drivers leave their package cars on the highway? I know that it was extremely bad conditions but I wonder how management will handle that. Never is a driver supposed to leave his/her package car unattended. Interesting to see how this is going to turn out. Keep us posted!

Yes, drivers left pkg cars on highway. Some were wrecked, some stuck, and some just abandoned for the night. No way were they getting back to the building so they had to do what they had to do.

Just Lurking

There is way to re-use a previous days plan. Each package has to be sheeted as missed to correct address. They cannot be scanned with a ring scanner or sheeted has one big stop using the center address has missed.

We had to do this during peace in December. It seemed to work for us.

bham brown

So do they reload their cars and head back out for the next days route?

Next day?? That was Tuesday night, we didn't work today and Thursday is going to be a delayed start and as of now I still haven't heard what time we will start work.. Us southerners don't handle ice and snow real well

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is way to re-use a previous days plan. Each package has to be sheeted as missed to correct address. They cannot be scanned with a ring scanner or sheeted has one big stop using the center address has missed.

We had to do this during peace in December. It seemed to work for us.

This is not true----any pkgs not delivered can be exception scanned at the center and the plan updated for the next day. You do not have to sheet them all as missed unless directed to do so.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Got a foot here in new england. We had over 8 inches this morning when they sent us out anyway and was coming down hard. Now its freezing rain. I commend my on-car. In our PCM he said I think its dumb you guys are being sent out in this and dont care if you do 2 stops an hour.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Got a foot here in new england. We had over 8 inches this morning when they sent us out anyway and was coming down hard. Now its freezing rain. I commend my on-car. In our PCM he said I think its dumb you guys are being sent out in this and dont care if you do 2 stops an hour.

Geez,
It goes without saying but be careful out in that crap.

Hope he rembers that..........tomorrow, when he sees your numbers!.....be safe my friend

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I put the chains on once cuz I got stuck. The back wheels were spinning and spinning and I heard a "clunk". At that moment I finally got unstuck so I got out to take off the chains and to my surprise the left rear chain was gone. I looked everywhere for it to no avail and just chalked it up to a loss and went about my day.

The next day I was called in to the office and I couldn't figure out why or what I did wrong the previous day. To my surprise they found out where the chain went, through the picture window of a house near where I lost the chain. The house sat in a sort of gulley just off the dirt road at the end and was at the same level as the tires of the truck. Crazy! I went to the house later and apologized and they were so kind about the whole thing. I never heard it and didn't get in any trouble for it at all! Everybody was so understanding about it.