sunrise/preload

S

splozi

So, after reading all of this thread so far, I am assuming you are talking about the preload shift. I've never heard of Sunrise, myself. Our preload shift is from 4:15-8:00AM. But realistically, we're usually not done until 8:30, and typically, I don't leave until 8:45, because I go help other 'areas'.

I don't know much about the other shift that loads outbound trailers, so I can't compare the difficulty between the two.

At my center, the turnover rate is pretty high for preload. I see tour groups come through about once every few weeks (usually around 7am). And every couple of months, I will see new hires standing near the entrance, waiting for their 'assignment'. In fact, I saw one guy today, and two weeks ago there were two other guys... so maybe it's even more frequent.

There were four of us in my training 'class'. One guy got picked for unloading, the rest of us were going to be loaders. They make this decision by eye; my guess is whoever looks more (physically) fit goes to unloading.

You mentioned that you were told that unloaders are expected to do 1400 pieces, and loaders 500? That seems unreasonably low. I always thought unloaders are supposed to move something like 1000 pieces her HOUR? Maybe it depends on what type of system you guys have setup over there. Is it a 'boxline' like some other guy mentioned? I think boxlines only have one belt? I don't know, I'm only familiar with what we have here. We have seven belts, and packages don't travel along a conveyer in front of us. They travel across belts in the back and up above, and come down a slide to our respective sorting areas. We have single package cars that get 400+ piece days. I think the typical piece count per area (usually about 3 package cars) for us is about 700-1200.

There are slow days, busy days, and normal days. Anyone who says there are no slow days either works at a busier center, or is just making things out to be more difficult than they really are. For us, slow days can be a result of a couple of things. Such as, not enough people showed up for unloading that morning, or a low piece piece count for the center that day.

Our supervisors do not wear vests; they wear red-ish or green shirts. Only the guys who work out in the 'yard' wear vests here.

irishgirl

I asked about Sunrise because Ive seen it listed as Sunrise/Preload; Sunrise was actually listed as one of the options for hours though they don't have it here.

"You mentioned that you were told that unloaders are expected to do 1400 pieces, and loaders 500?" yes, by the end of the 25 days, though I don't remember if the lady said per hour or shift. That was strictly for loaders & unloaders on the semi's, they didn't go over preload because it wasn't in operation during the tour time.

I was taking a guess that they were supervisors, we weren't told if they were or not. "Our supervisors do not wear vests; they wear red-ish or green shirts. Only the guys who work out in the 'yard' wear vests here"

S

splozi

yes, by the end of the 25 days, though I don't remember if the lady said per hour or shift. That was strictly for loaders & unloaders on the semi's, they didn't go over preload because it wasn't in operation during the tour time.

Hourly rates for loading/unloading trailers. That makes sense then.

If you end up getting the job, just try not to get too stressed out over the (potential) volume. As miserable as some of the people you saw may have looked, I can't say it's really that bad. I guess it all depends on YOUR attitude.

hey I am scheduled for a "class" this week and am listed as preload. What am I going to do in class and how long is it? Is it four days or four hours? I forgot lol.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
To clarify, unloaders are "expected" to unload 1200 /hr, 200/hr accounted by small sort bags.
Loaders are expected to load 350/hr.

However, since it is not written in a contract anywhere, it's meaningless desk jockey garbage.

Next year it will be 1800/hr, and there will be not one improvement or change to validiate the uptick. ;)

S

splozi

hey I am scheduled for a "class" this week and am listed as preload. What am I going to do in class and how long is it? Is it four days or four hours? I forgot lol.

It probably varies by center. But for me, the 'class' was mostly a joke. They were very eager to put us to work. The training class was supposed to last one week. I think we spent a couple of hours in there the first two days. The third day I showed up and was told to go home. The next day they had me do misc. work, like unloading, helping irreg drivers. Then finally on the fifth day they put me on a belt to do some real work/training.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It probably varies by center. But for me, the 'class' was mostly a joke. They were very eager to put us to work. The training class was supposed to last one week. I think we spent a couple of hours in there the first two days. The third day I showed up and was told to go home. The next day they had me do misc. work, like unloading, helping irreg drivers. Then finally on the fifth day they put me on a belt to do some real work/training.
:D found that funny. Talk about walking all over people.

Every day I go into work, the first response from the area supervisor is not "Hi, Good Morning" It's "would you like a night off? volumes light.."

S

splozi

Every day I go into work, the first response from the area supervisor is not "Hi, Good Morning" It's "would you like a night off? volumes light.."

Fortunately, I don't think this happens at my center very often. As I was walking in one morning sometime ago, there was one guy leaving... apparently they told him they didn't need him. But I don't know what the situation is... whether he is a pt. time driver or what - I don't know who he is. But I know that as long as I've worked there, no one on my belt has been asked if they wanted to go home. And I'm speaking as someone who has had several under 600-piece days since new year (today was one). Under 700 is typical for me. It was heavier before and during peak, of course.

One of my trucks (a buff), if someone else loaded, they would really need to know where everything goes, or the driver would be pretty upset. But then again, management doesn't care about the driver's happiness. So now that I know this sort of this happens at some centers, I'm surprised that I haven't been offered the morning off yet.