sup helping with loading

UnconTROLLed

perfection
On the other hand, Chris C, why don't you see if the steward will let the sup do the work, then grieve the time.

It doesn't matter if we do the work, just that we get paid for the time it takes to do it.

I'll gladly work right next to a sup all day, and get paid for 16 hrs.

The steward is in no position to be the boss. If the supervisors work, the sup is grieved. Yes, at times the sup will stop working then get reamed by a center manager or coordinator and sneak back to the area that needs help. Overall I nor anyone else in any authority to make supervisors stop working.

upser_J

Im a loader and I have a very difficult cage to handle; a couple of my cars are ALWAYS stacked to the ceiling. Most days i can load my cars on time (just barely), but others there is no way one human could do it unless maybe he or she hit the meth pipe. My sup knows this and sometimes will empty my cages for one rev so i can make it, but the union steward won't allow this. I'm in the union but I dont think my sup is taking work away from me because I'll still clock out right at 9 o clock. Is there anything I can do?
its not that he's taking away work and time from you... but he is taking away work and time away from someone who would like a job or another hourly that was sent home early or asked not to come in that day

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I can't believe this is even being debated. If you need help there should be another hourly helping you. When they cut staffing and then the supes work they are, in effect, fudging the numbers. Packages moved per man hours worked. The steward can't "make" the supe stop working but he can let him know that if he does the work it will be grieved.

wrecker

Thats what I meant by "let him work". Not give the sup a bunch of crap, just grieve it. I know we cannot actually stop them from working if they choose to.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
How much are you getting a night?

I get anywhere from 1000 to 1300 a night. So I gotta hustle.

I'll knock out 5,6 7 a cage. Even then I get a back up at the end of the night.

The biggest problem with preloaders is letting too much go by each cage. I really detest full cages, so I try to move, push and place on other cages to make it easier for me. About 45 to 60 mintues into the shift im allowed to relax a bit.

The problem with that is, maroon sup comes over and goes "oh you're lite, you should go do eregs or charge for half an hour." the worst thing you can do to a preloader is pull them from their cage or go help someone who still has full cages. Im not saying help isnt go, its just that my cars have the one of the highest volumes in the west center. So why do I have to go help someone else who cant hustle?

I see it as punishing the ones who hustle. Preloaders taking one package in at a time whats wrong with you. One of my friends whos a fulf time driver said UPS loses alot of hard workers due to being overworked.

Sad it almost seems UPS sets themselves up for a vary lazy work force. It makes me want to slow down and not care anymore. But by ethics I couldnt do that.

USE THE METHODS! XD~!~

Last edited:

raceanoncr

Every day can not be a perfect day, especially at UPS. My sups don't overwhelm me. I actually work with an awesome management team.

Boy, I wish I had a glendorv (new alien monetary unit) every time I heard that, then watched the next day as they were walked out the door!!

christian c

Wow I haven't checked this since I started the thread and I already have a lot of good responses, so thanks for the input. I guess the best answer is, like others have said, to get another loader to help. I just hate being that guy who always need help because just like ORLY said, that means ill be making it hard for another union buddy who is going to miss his or her cages.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wow I haven't checked this since I started the thread and I already have a lot of good responses, so thanks for the input. I guess the best answer is, like others have said, to get another loader to help. I just hate being that guy who always need help because just like ORLY said, that means ill be making it hard for another union buddy who is going to miss his or her cages.

If you work hard, and cannot keep up with the flow, hourlies will see this and be happy to help you out. It is typically only the very young and naive ones that will get "upset" about missing their cages because they are in a rush to get theirs done and go party with their friends. ANd to that I say, TOO BAD! :)

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Actually, that is more money for your union buddy. More work=more time=more money. And then they will see they are overwhelming you and adjust accordingly. The only way to make management see the error of their ways is to cost them money. When they have to account for extra man hours they will reevaluate. When you let the supe "help" you, you are letting the supe help himself because he is not being charged for the man hours he is working.

W

westsideworma

The problem with that is, maroon sup comes over and goes "oh you're lite, you should go do eregs or charge for half an hour." the worst thing you can do to a preloader is pull them from their cage or go help someone who still has full cages. Im not saying help isnt go, its just that my cars have the one of the highest volumes in the west center. So why do I have to go help someone else who cant hustle?

I see it as punishing the ones who hustle. Preloaders taking one package in at a time whats wrong with you. One of my friends whos a fulf time driver said UPS loses alot of hard workers due to being overworked.

Sad it almost seems UPS sets themselves up for a vary lazy work force. It makes me want to slow down and not care anymore. But by ethics I couldnt do that.

USE THE METHODS! XD~!~

I can speak from experience on this part. I was like you, I was always ahead of my work and "rewarded" for it. Hey you're light go unload an air can (which I detested), go sort on the slide (didn't mind), go help so and so (glad to do it if they were on my line).

Now that I'm on the dark side I can tell you, we are told to send you, we don't want to (for the most part). We know what happens when we do, however others above us, don't care. I at least try to keep my guys in our area unless a supe that has helped me out in the past is in trouble and needs a hand.

I have two loaders who used to be extremely hard workers etc, but due to UPS taking advantage of them (the things you listed above), have toned it down. Some admitted as much to me while I was an hourly. I don't like it either, but its the nature of the beast unfortunately.

JonFrum

WiseDragonfly,

As others have said, when a supervisor does bargaining unit work, he is taking money from you, or some other member of the bargaining unit. The money taken may sometimes be overtime money.

The supervisor is also creating a false impression that the work can reasonably be done in a given amount of time with a given amount of workers. Later these false impressions will become part of false written reports. This will come back to bite you or those who do your job after you.

Assuming the supervisor doesn't arrange for contractually mandated Pension and Health & Welfare contributions to be made, then he is also stealing about $14 per hour from the benefit funds. (The exact figure varies by region.)

Anyone have a guess as to how many millions are not contributed to the various funds nationwide as a result of supervisors working? Isn't this at least one reason the funds are underfunded?

$14 an hour is more than most part-timers make, as it would take a new hire about seven years to make that wage. By that time the contribution rates would have increased yearly, so they would still be making less than the contribution rates.

If you are in the bargaining unit, it doesn't matter if you are in the Union or not, you are fully covered by the entire Contract and bound by all of it's provisions, (as is UPS, even though management is not in the Union either.)

If the shoe was on the other foot, and you were caught stealing money and falsifying reports, what do you think your management would do to you?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A supervisor who distorts his production figures by "helping" his employees to load or handle packages....is sort of like a doctor who "helps" his patients by touching up their X-rays with whiteout in order to hide a tumour.

While both actions might make things "look" better....they both fail to correct the underlying problem and in fact will make it worse over the long run by allowing the "patient" to avoid taking any corrective action.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I can speak from experience on this part. I was like you, I was always ahead of my work and "rewarded" for it. Hey you're light go unload an air can (which I detested), go sort on the slide (didn't mind), go help so and so (glad to do it if they were on my line).

Now that I'm on the dark side I can tell you, we are told to send you, we don't want to (for the most part). We know what happens when we do, however others above us, don't care. I at least try to keep my guys in our area unless a supe that has helped me out in the past is in trouble and needs a hand.

I have two loaders who used to be extremely hard workers etc, but due to UPS taking advantage of them (the things you listed above), have toned it down. Some admitted as much to me while I was an hourly. I don't like it either, but its the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Oh I know that it isnt the sup overseeing that side of the line. Most of the time its the main line sup looking to take the advantage. The sup with me knows better, and yet the main line sup comes barking at him telling him to make me to do this and that. I almost want to say "go read a PCM to someone" LOL. Those hardcore sups seem to have no soul whatsoever. Makes me wonder if they know what they're doing to people. Of course its only to look good with numbers and/or in front of higher up sups that might be spec'in.

There also other people that should be doing it but they never ask them. Like the preloader next to me shows up half an hour late almost everyday and takes one package in at a time. Low and behold he has hardly any package build up at the back of his car at the end of the night, yet I have loads of stuff. This is after I broke down each cage and pretty much cashed out each one completely all shift.

I see it like "Oh hes fast, never miss loads and doesnt seem to mind helping out" Pffft, I do mind. I even get upset in front the main line sup from time to time.

I gain a rhythm when preloading. When I get pulled I completely lose the steps. It takes a few cages to get into ( what I call ) the dance. It is like a dance, move your feet, arms and body to the flow of the line. Getting told to go help or do something causes me to forget how to dance with the line. When I come back to my cages I'm lost, out of rythyth and place. It takes a lot of energy to get back into the flow. Thats why I dont like being pulled.

Last edited:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
A supervisor who distorts his production figures by "helping" his employees to load or handle packages....is sort of like a doctor who "helps" his patients by touching up their X-rays with whiteout in order to hide a tumour.

While both actions might make things "look" better....they both fail to correct the underlying problem and in fact will make it worse over the long run by allowing the "patient" to avoid taking any corrective action.

Nicly said and put!