Supervisor Pay

UPS Lifer

I don't think it should be public knowledge. You should not have to go into a customer's location and defend your position during contract negotiations. I understand what you have been through. I was on the picket line in California back in the 70s.

When people said that I made too much money as a driver, I would tell them if they wanted me to get them an application. They could do what I was doing! You want to work 10-12 hours a day and work this hard - I will be more than happy to give you a recommendation!! That usually stopped the BS.

You have to be a UPS driver to really appreciate what a driver goes through.

chipolapitch

OLD SUP
Spitt, i have been around a long time. I will tell you like I would tell my son. Ask the full-time sups and managers if they are happy. There is much more to life than money. You control your destiny. Don't wait on anybody and don't settle for a career than you may not be happy doing. Learned the hard way.

Griff

I don't think it should be public knowledge. You should not have to go into a customer's location and defend your position during contract negotiations. I understand what you have been through. I was on the picket line in California back in the 70s.

When people said that I made too much money as a driver, I would tell them if they wanted me to get them an application. They could do what I was doing! You want to work 10-12 hours a day and work this hard - I will be more than happy to give you a recommendation!! That usually stopped the BS.

What it boils down to is the complete lack of respect this country has for blue-collar people. Somewhere along the line it has become taboo to have a job that doesn't require a desk and a suit. I come from two white-collar parents and I'm very proud to be part of the working class. My parents are staunch anti-union people and look at what they brought into this world. I know you believe in karma and that's about as big of a dose as you'll find on this planet. This society is a team based effort and blue-collar work has been the foundation since its inception.

UPS Lifer

What it boils down to is the complete lack of respect this country has for blue-collar people. Somewhere along the line it has become taboo to have a job that doesn't require a desk and a suit. I come from two white-collar parents and I'm very proud to be part of the working class. My parents are staunch anti-union people and look at what they brought into this world. I know you believe in karma and that's about as big of a dose as you'll find on this planet. This society is a team based effort and blue-collar work has been the foundation since its inception.

Well....here we go again!!

Without looking at some sort of census on jobs, I would guess that well over 50%-70% of the jobs in America are considered working class type of jobs. This means that most of America would probably disagree with your comment about lacking respect for the blue collar folks!

If you stay grounded and remember where you came from it makes it a lot easier to keep from thinking you are better than anyone else. We all came into the world the same way (with nothing) and we will all go out the same way!!!

Oh! If you haven't figured it out yet.... I don't believe that our country looks down on blue collar workers.

What you are really referring to is your perception of white collar folks. You feel that they look down on you or anyone who is "blue collar". This is pure hogwash! Do your parents look down on you?? If they do, it explains how you feel and I am sorry for you.

I don't know if you can speak as a parent but I can. If my kids are happy doing whatever they want to do than I am happy. As a parent, I want my kids to live up to their potential but I also want them to be happy.

I would be proud if either on my boys were a UPS driver!

There are some white collar folks that may look down on blue collar folks and there are some blue collar folks that despise and show contempt for white collar folks. Hopefully both these types of folks are in the minority.

What we have to do to eliminate what I call a "class bias" is to work hard to blur the lines between the classes. You do that through education. The harder it is to make a distinction as to what class someone falls in the more successful we have been to reduce the class distinction.

Part of our human complexity is our unique individuality. There will always be differences between each and every one of us. You need to celebrate sand learn from those differences rather than degrade them.

It all boils down to staying grounded - remember where you came from... We all came into the world with nothing and we will all go out the same way!

OH! If you haven't figured it out yet.... I don't believe that the country lacks respect for blue collar workers..... not in a long shot!

Last edited:

Fnix

What gets me angry is white collar or look down on blue collar without even knowing that that the blue collar makes more then them. Like the white collar worker who sees the UPS man come into the office sweaty and thinks hes a scum.

Well the difference is one is driving a Hyundai and the other a Corvette!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

Recently, during the latest NEohio storms I got alot of flack about what I make, it happens alot but during these trying days it made my blood boil, which kept me warmer.:angry:I love it Funny how when you make what we do, you are never suppose to look tired, be cold, or get sick. Its always "if I made what you do, blah, blah blah.
People think we make 20$ an hour, and they think we make too much. People on talk radio think the assembly line workers at GM make too much. 29$ an hour. Most of those people are the ones who sit on their arse, never try to improve their position in life, and are blessed with us paying all the taxes for the street dept, police etc, that they enjoy. Others say I know such and such and you guys deserve every cent you make, I couldnt do it. They are the ones who know, who harbor no jealousy. Several of them couldnt fit through the door or bend over to yank a pkg out from under a shelf. Most of them are home to enjoy life outside of work by 5pm. I just tell them, go apply, you too could make what I do. And then they say they tried and its too hard to get in. Thats when I say, point made. Cya

Oh don't ya just love it when you are making a delivery at 18:30 and they say something about how much money you make? That's when I say," I wouldn't do it for free, seeing how I interrupted your supper to bring you this package and it'll be two more hours before I get home, Have a good evening." Most people's perception of our job is of us delivering 50 or so single package stops a day. They are floored when I tell them they are stop number 89.(or whatever)

HazMatMan

I've been with UPS for 20 years now and the state of our management is the thing that worries me most when it comes to our company's future.
When i began working here, my managers (FT and PT) for the most part seemed to have a good working knowledge of the processes required to do the job.
You had no trouble picking out who would be the next to go into supervision because it was usually the guy who was best at what he did and was always at work on time, etc. As a result, he already had the respect of many of his people because he could do the job he was asking them to do. When I was on the preload, if a PT supe loaded for an absent preloader, the job was always done correctly and usually better than the preloader could do. I'm not knocking the loaders I worked with on preload. We were good. We were good because we were trained by someone who knew what they were doing. After a while these PT supes would go to full time and further spread their influence and knowledge. Things were good.
Not so now. Most of the idiots in PT supervision are promoted after about 12 weeks in the hub because they came to work everyday, not because they were good at what they did. They suck at what they do, and as a result the people under them suck too. Their employees have no respect for them because none was earned. All of the sudden for no apparent reason the knucklehead next to you gets promoted and is your boss.
The FT supes are the ones that really get me. They're usually some minority or a womanish person. They drive for 6 weeks on some cake route in the springtime and all of the sudden they're my boss. Sickening.
Back to your original question on pay: as far as I know, FT supe pay is 45 hrs. per week at the top pay scale for your location. Your stock bonus is paid in December and is equal to 1/2 of a month's pay. You retain all of your vacation you accrued as an hourly. No overtime.
I agree, I think now they will make ANYONE a supervisor, they don't care about knowledge of the job anymore.