Tattoo Policy

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As for this "retro" policy thing.... i.e. allowing those folks who think they were hired under the "it's OK to have a tattoo showing" policy or lack of one; those folks should not have any special allowances for tattoos. A reasonable accommodation should be made for any employee. Cover it up! Wear a flesh colored bandage or long pants and a long sleeve shirt... or a combination.
So if we take this "logic" to its ultimate conclusion, then UPS should be able to decide at any time to arbitrarily change whatever rules it wants, irregardless of who might be affected. I can see it now; UPS decides that all employees shall be required to shave their heads bald because the company finds any visible hair to be "unreasonable." In other words...it is UPS alone that gets to decide what is "reasonable", and that definition can be changed, at any time, for any reason. Sorry, but if UPS wants to mandate significant changes to our conditions of employment, then those chanes need to be negotiated contractually.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sober, I understand what you are saying, so I hope you don't mind me pointing this out. UPS already arbitrarily changes their policies to suit whatever needs might arise.

With the tattoo policy, though, it was already in effect. It just isn't enforced equally across the board. Like many of UPS's policies, it is selectively enforced. Here is a prime example. We have a senior (#1 in senionity) driver that has decided that he doesn't have to attend PCM's anymore. Instead he sorts his truck and is gone without checking the belt or his neighbors for misloaded air. Do you think anything is done? NO! If I were to chose to do this I would receive a warning letter post haste.

bellesotico

BOXstar
So if we take this "logic" to its ultimate conclusion, then UPS should be able to decide at any time to arbitrarily change whatever rules it wants, irregardless of who might be affected. I can see it now; UPS decides that all employees shall be required to shave their heads bald because the company finds any visible hair to be "unreasonable." In other words...it is UPS alone that gets to decide what is "reasonable", and that definition can be changed, at any time, for any reason. Sorry, but if UPS wants to mandate significant changes to our conditions of employment, then those chanes need to be negotiated contractually.

Unfortunately the law says they can.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
It's not protected by the Constitution. Under Employment Law, businesses may set and enforce whatever policies they choose provided they do not violate any anti discrimination laws.

Let me rephrase the answer.

While UPS's rights are not found in the Consitution, the rights that the do have have been challenged all the way to the supreme court as uncontitutional. And UPS's rights have been upheld, therefore declaired constitutional.

As for drivers being hired with tattoos, UPS needs to address that issue.

But it was not until a new wave of drivers, wanting to take things a step or two further, that this became a real issue. Up until a few years ago, the majority of drivers that had tats got them while in the military, and usually were not too obvious. Now with total body ink being something of a rage, including facial tats, they had to do something.

Question is where will they draw the line?

d

hubsup255

I wear an earring and I'm a ft sup...
I understand image is very important to our company but some of the rules are stupid!
Not sure about shirts with nipple holes though...

filthpig

Our center manager gave a PCM yesterday about this. Essentially he said if you don't cover them, you're going home. Repeated violations will result in termination.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Let me rephrase the answer.

While UPS's rights are not found in the Consitution, the rights that the do have have been challenged all the way to the supreme court as uncontitutional. And UPS's rights have been upheld, therefore declaired constitutional.

As for drivers being hired with tattoos, UPS needs to address that issue.

But it was not until a new wave of drivers, wanting to take things a step or two further, that this became a real issue. Up until a few years ago, the majority of drivers that had tats got them while in the military, and usually were not too obvious. Now with total body ink being something of a rage, including facial tats, they had to do something.

Question is where will they draw the line?

d

Danny-

I understand where you are going with this, but the answer did not need rephrasing. UPS does not have expressed Constitutional rights. I think that maybe you are misunderstanding my replies and perhaps you feel that I am trying to disagree when originally I was simply agreeing with you.

Obviously I was mistaken. I apologize if you felt I was stepping on your toes.

stink219

the policy book says no visible tats..
but it is a flavor of the month here right now so its cover them,next month it will be something else.
The word Tattoo is not in the policy book or the contract. If anyone can find it i world love the page number. I have both in my possession. I am a steward that is heavly tattooed.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Ha ha.

I posted on a very similar thresd that the Policy Book is neither a Contract or a Terms of Employment.

While we're on the subject, I have seen so many kids with tattoo's that make no sense and seemed to be a youthful desire.

My daughter wants to get one and I told her "NO". She's over 18 though.

I got mine in the military and they remind me of the day that I did.

I have seen some hideous tattoo's on women and (yes) I judge them.

I don;t want my daughter to do something stupid for no reason.

I can see going to Giza and getting a little pyramid, but.........

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
i dont understand the arguement here,,, i started at ups when i just turned 18,, over the years i had SEVERAL onroads,, some center manager's and even a district manager WHOM WERE REPRESENTATIVES OF UPS and whom i worked for with visible tattos.. That played a HUGE factor in my getting a full sleve about 15 yrs ago. Had i been told that i would have to cover my tatoo yrs later that may have changed my opinion..... However,, i have never covered my tattoo and now the rule seems to be if youve been here awhile its ok....ups could not win this in court......

UPS Lifer

i dont understand the arguement here,,, i started at ups when i just turned 18,, over the years i had SEVERAL onroads,, some center manager's and even a district manager WHOM WERE REPRESENTATIVES OF UPS and whom i worked for with visible tattos.. That played a HUGE factor in my getting a full sleve about 15 yrs ago. Had i been told that i would have to cover my tatoo yrs later that may have changed my opinion..... However,, i have never covered my tattoo and now the rule seems to be if youve been here awhile its ok....ups could not win this in court......

Tattoos are all about the dress code and what might be acceptable and what might not. Tats are much more mainstream today than they were even 5 years ago. However, a lot of this will always boil down to what is appropriate and what is not. As you know, this can be very subjective and I see this being a topic of contention for some time to come.

What may seem appropriate to you or me may not be seen as appropriate to your customers or your employers or for that matter a court or arbitrator.

moreluck

golden ticket member
When people want to look like they have a full arm of tattoos, they sell a sleeve of tattoos that you can wear......they should also sell a sleeve of "flesh" tones for people who need to cover up for their jobs.

OK, We could go to Vegas and start a company and become millionaires.....

over9five

Staff member
When people want to look like they have a full arm of tattoos, they sell a sleeve of tattoos that you can wear......they should also sell a sleeve of "flesh" tones for people who need to cover up for their jobs.

OK, We could go to Vegas and start a company and become millionaires.....

Wow, that's actually a really good idea.