Terrible News, Bicyclist and Feeder Accident in NH

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The unfortunate part of a cyclist losing their life is the ensuing battle of words over whether a cyclist should ride near motor vehicles and how many idiot cyclists we see as we're driving along the way. Whatever the circumstance of THIS particular situation, a woman had died and a feeder driver has to live with this for the rest of their days. This could happen to any of us at any time. I ride my bike back and forth to work DAILY, along Federal hwy here in Florida. It's bad enough that I'm trying to avoid getting a tire puncture from all the litter in the bike lane, but to know that there could be a driver who's angry about what some other cyclist, elderly person behind the wheel or their teen aged daughter's pregnancy, could take their anger out on me, is INSANE!!!

Like I said in another thread about cyclists sharing the road. Treat that person like they were your beloved family member. Give them room for error, just as you would another motor vehicle. Not everyone is perfect and not all who disobey the rules are the majority of the group. That being said, may this cyclist Rest Peacefully and may the feeder driver recover from this sadness.

Drink Craft Beer

What a tragedy. Terrible for the woman that lost her life, but also terrible for the man that took the life. No matter who was at fault, he has to live with that forever.

​As someone that gets on her bike almost every single day, I try to stay on the designated bike paths, and I don't take the liberties that many cyclists do. I know that in a battle of auto vs. bike, I'm going to lose every single time.

You're one of the smart ones. Don't know how many times I've had close calls with people on their bicycles who think they own the road and motorists should cater to them.

Although it is sad someone had to lose their life, there are plenty of places where one can ride their bike and don't have to worry about cars, trucks, etc....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Am the the only one who prefers to ride against traffic? The way I see it I want to see the cars approaching me.
Riding against traffic on a bicycle, in the roadway/bike lane, is against the law. Bicycles are SUPPOSED to go in the same direction as motor vehicles. If you're that afraid of being hit, I suggest you use the sidewalk. If you use the sidewalk, you are allowed to travel in either direction, though I suggest you still ride WITH the traffic flow. MOST drivers pulling out onto roadways DO NOT look to the right for pedestrian or bicycle traffic, as they pull out onto the roadway. Another thought for you is, what happens when you're traveling against the flow of traffic in the bike lane and I'm coming toward you with the flow of traffic, at 22MPH??? Please rethink your position.

over9five

Staff member
I can't even understand discussing getting away with running over a cyclist if you could have swerved and missed him. WTF kind of person even thinks that way???

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I can't even understand discussing getting away with running over a cyclist if you could have swerved and missed him. WTF kind of person even thinks that way???

I second that. I have zero problems with bikes in traffic. Give them plenty of room & a friendly beep on the horn.

I cannot imagine being that feeder driver. Life, for me anyway, would be tough after that.

Think of how hard it would be to face the family of a child or other loved one that got hurt in an accident you were involved with. I don't want any part of that.

Respectfully Stug, and as a former biker, if the flow of traffic is a law to follow then so are ALL the other laws.

O9, if you mean coming up on a law abiding biker and going around them safely, sure. But if you're talking having to decide on whether I endanger myself, mine, or others, when Lance Armstrong Jr completely disregards the law and does something stupid that requires a him or me decision the Mr Monoball is going down. I'll feel bad and stop to render help but he'll be the one getting in the ambulance.

over9five

Staff member
Respectfully Stug, and as a former biker, if the flow of traffic is a law to follow then so are ALL the other laws.

O9, if you mean coming up on a law abiding biker and going around them safely, sure. But if you're talking having to decide on whether I endanger myself, mine, or others, when Lance Armstrong Jr completely disregards the law and does something stupid that requires a him or me decision the Mr Monoball is going down. I'll feel bad and stop to render help but he'll be the one getting in the ambulance.

Not at all. I was referring to the poster who said his wife swerved around a cyclist, but he would have run him down.

gingerkat

You're one of the smart ones. Don't know how many times I've had close calls with people on their bicycles who think they own the road and motorists should cater to them.
Although it is sad someone had to lose their life, there are plenty of places where one can ride their bike and don't have to worry about cars, trucks, etc....

Like others have said, it's sad that someone lost their life. No matter who was at fault it was an accident, but it's the feeder driver that has to live with the knowledge that he took a life. I can't imagine trying to move on with life as we know it after something like this.

I don't know if I "smart", but rather just scared shi*less to be out and about in traffic. With that being said, I do often have to ride on the road with cars to get to some of my bike paths, but I am careful. I think I get what you're saying, but cyclists are legal and have a right to be on the road with autos. I just know that in an accident against an auto, I will lose.

We as a society are so "busy" that we feel the need to do everything at once, especially in the car. We talk on our phones, text, put on makeup or just fumble around with whatever in the car. Time to focus on the task at hand and respect that we have to share our city streets with other autos, cyclists and pedestrians.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Like others have said, it's sad that someone lost their life. No matter who was at fault it was an accident, but it's the feeder driver that has to live with the knowledge that he took a life. I can't imagine trying to move on with life as we know it after something like this.

I don't know if I "smart", but rather just scared shi*less to be out and about in traffic. With that being said, I do often have to ride on the road with cars to get to some of my bike paths, but I am careful. I think I get what you're saying, but cyclists are legal and have a right to be on the road with autos. I just know that in an accident against an auto, I will lose.

We as a society are so "busy" that we feel the need to do everything at once, especially in the car. We talk on our phones, text, put on makeup or just fumble around with whatever in the car. Time to focus on the task at hand and respect that we have to share our city streets with other autos, cyclists and pedestrians.
[/COLOR]

I's say you are smart to be scared shi*less.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Cach, Car VS Cyclist??? Is it really that hard to yield? Has your life become so important that Mr Monoball doesn't matter? I'm sorry but life, ALL LIFE, is important to me. There's a big difference between the cyclist shooting out and hitting my car, and shooting out in front of me giving me adequate time to make a decision. Don't forget, that cyclist could be someone you love. Sometimes people we love do silly things, too.

[/COLOR]
So very well said!!!

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I find it easier to grab the handles of the cars if I ride WITH the flow of traffic. Used to do that all the time "back in the day".

Very tragic about the Cyclist and the Feeder Driver.

I pass and get passed by cyclists all the time and I feel better if I give them the ROW. Some seem to have a death wish or an arrogance i cannot unerdstand given the size, weight and material differences between my truck and their bicycle.

Cach, Car VS Cyclist??? Is it really that hard to yield? Has your life become so important that Mr Monoball doesn't matter? I'm sorry but life, ALL LIFE, is important to me. There's a big difference between the cyclist shooting out and hitting my car, and shooting out in front of me giving me adequate time to make a decision. Don't forget, that cyclist could be someone you love. Sometimes people we love do silly things, too.

Stug, read my whole post. You pointed out a law that bikers should follow. I pointed out that they should follow them all just like they expect cars to do. It can't be one sided. Also in my reply to Ovah I defined the difference between a law abiding rider and the idiot putting himself and others at risk. Yes!, I have no problem yielding to a biker, pausing till its safe to pass. But I'm not going to kill myself or someone else when the non-law abiding biker shoots through a red light across traffic. Ill do my best to avoid him but it'll be he that gets hit versus a swerve into another car head on.

UPSGUY72

From what I got from the PCM today the women fell from her bike and under the trailer then got run over by the trailer.

There was also talk about a UPSERS getting killed while working somewhere on the east coast.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Not at all. I was referring to the poster who said his wife swerved around a cyclist, but he would have run him down.

That's ME :D

I will say again, if YOU don't obey laws, nor have concern for your own safety, than why in the hell should I?

Also, I'm kind of a dick, so you should take that into consideration.

I will not risk MY safety or MY property because you think your little bike is allowed to swing around a 90 degree T intersection where you have a stop sign and the speed limit on the road where I am traveling is 45 MPH, how stupid do you have to be to do something like that?

I don't mow down law abiding cyclists or walkers, but if you want to play chicken with me, go ahead.....Unless you have a hummer or larger, I'll win everytime.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Stug, read my whole post. You pointed out a law that bikers should follow. I pointed out that they should follow them all just like they expect cars to do. It can't be one sided. Also in my reply to Ovah I defined the difference between a law abiding rider and the idiot putting himself and others at risk. Yes!, I have no problem yielding to a biker, pausing till its safe to pass. But I'm not going to kill myself or someone else when the non-law abiding biker shoots through a red light across traffic. Ill do my best to avoid him but it'll be he that gets hit versus a swerve into another car head on.

Amen. Very well said.