Texas Woman To Make Interesting Religious Freedom Challenge

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wkmac, Apr 16, 2015.

1. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

A Texas Woman Might Use The 'Religious Freedom' Law In The Most Amazing Way Possible
  2. rod

rod retired and happy

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  3. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

Unintended Consequences.
  4. smapple

smapple Member

I would say good on her except I would first like to know how the homeless in that area became homeless and why they remain homeless and if they're willing to work like death was at their door in order to get out of their situation.
  5. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

Snapple, That may be a question to ask at some point but the real question, how is it a crime for this lady or any of us for that matter to take our own time and the product of our own labor and give it to someone else regardless the reason?

If I can't freely give someone something on the grounds that there appears no evidence of having earned the gift, how long before Chistmas, birthday's, Mother's Day, a gift to the wife or husband become an illegal act as no evidence exists of one having earned it?

Why do we refuse to deeply think about the concept of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Besides, if enough people step up and feed those who can't feed themselves, doesn't that remove the need for the claim that taxpayers have too? Why beat down someone who is doing a service that could help said taxpayers?

Does it ever occur in the conversation that the woman is under assault in order to protect the status quo? Maybe your real question should be WHY?
  6. smapple

smapple Member

If the reason for their homelessness is self inflicted via addiction/abusive habits/mental illness/criminal behavior then I would say any charity other than getting at the root cause of the problem (their personal vices) is on net more harmful than beneficial.
  7. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

a good percentage of the homeless in this country were thrown out on the streets when the Reagans shut off funding for the mentally retarded.

but I do agree that maybe a quarter of them are just lazy bums looking for continual handouts.
  8. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

But in a free society, what she does with her time, her labor and her property/money is her free choice.

Maybe the keyword here is free society.
  9. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

The keyboard could also be what is so wrong with our society.
  10. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

what did they arrest her for? disturbing the peace?
  11. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

I'm assuming the State considers feeding the poor their monopoly and they arrested her to protect their turf!
  12. BadHombre

BadHombre Well-Known Member

That's exactly what Jesus would do.

Good on you, @smapple.
  13. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

When did mental illness become self inflicted?
  14. smapple

smapple Member

Not against giving handouts, if they're asking and you're willing then I don't see the harm. But on the other hand if your aid to them funds their drug habits then I don't see that helping anyone.
    That assumes the repercussions of her actions stop once funds have been exchanged, which it doesn't.

Probably for attracting more homeless people to the area, which presents increased potential for spread of disease, safety problems, and also drives down property value.

Actually he would've miraculous healed whatever problem ailed them that made them homeless in the first place. As for what the rest of us could do, I'd assume it's along the same lines by trying to resolve the issues that made them homeless.

Right, because giving food to a mentally ill homeless person solves the problem of his homelessness.
  15. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

Who said it did? I just asked when did mental illness become self inflicted? I realize you said homelessness of the mentally ill was self inflicted, but by the same token that means you are also saying mental illness is self inflicted.
  16. smapple

smapple Member

I didn't comment on whether or not it's self inflicted because 1) I didn't bring it up and 2) it's irrelevant to the solution.