Thanks Amazon customer service.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I only bring this up because it's relevant to the situation. English was clearly this ladies second language. Is it just me or do a lot of foreign people seem to distrust UPS, like we are out to get them or something? Had a stop earlier in the week. Seems Comcast had sent out a bunch of the internet self install packages. This latino woman was almost fearful of the package. Like I was trying to stick her with it, and maybe some sort of bill. Through her broken english I could ascertain that they didn't have internet service YET. Yet being until you do the self install. So you know about a week from now I am going to be taking that package back.

I think the hatred for the job you guys do is universal. My mother really hated a certian mail man (usps), because things started to disapear in the stuff she was getting. She always blamed him for it, couldve been him, couldve been someone else or just belts and rollers.

People, first off, I think resent you guys just knowing how well you get paid. Yet have no idea what goes into the job to make that pay reality.

I, overall, just see an overwhelming lazyness in people, all the time. Whatever gets them from having to actually work is sought a way out of. Thats America today as I see it.

OptimusPrime

I think the hatred for the job you guys do is universal. My mother really hated a certian mail man (usps), because things started to disapear in the stuff she was getting. She always blamed him for it, couldve been him, couldve been someone else or just belts and rollers.

People, first off, I think resent you guys just knowing how well you get paid. Yet have no idea what goes into the job to make that pay reality.

I, overall, just see an overwhelming lazyness in people, all the time. Whatever gets them from having to actually work is sought a way out of. Thats America today as I see it.

Had stopped at a gas station to get a drink on the way back to the center one night. Dude working the register looked like Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons. "UPS driver eh? Would love to have that job.". My typical response to that is usually "well the pay is great, but we sure do hustle" or something along those lines. "Oh, I just wanna get paid to drive around all day." Pretty sure my eye rolling was actually heard a county over.

S

serenity now

Had stopped at a gas station to get a drink on the way back to the center one night. Dude working the register looked like Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons. "UPS driver eh? Would love to have that job.". My typical response to that is usually "well the pay is great, but we sure do hustle" or something along those lines. "Oh, I just wanna get paid to drive around all day." Pretty sure my eye rolling was actually heard a county over.

my response is: hey, it's there for anybody that wants it * years of working part time during the night/early morning with a full time job in the day * then years of swing driving * then when you're old, you will have your own route *

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

Oh yea, everyone wants that job, at first. I've always said, "its a job everyone wants, yet no one wants to do". Great pay, benefits, retirement etc etc. People see you guys, and think "man, hows the view from their perspective!" but think of nothing of the grinding hard work, tired and sore muscles and bodies. Again, America just doesnt know or has forgotten how or what hard work really is.

As for serenity now said, hits the nail on the head. It takes years of inside labor and pandering as a cover / swing just to end up hopefully with a fulltime route. I know such a cover that gets it handed to him on a daily basis, plus weekend air, yet is expected of him to follow threw just for a spec of a chance at a fulltime route within no sight until get gets too old to do nothing else instead of driving.

AKCoverMan

I deleivered a 52 inch TV lady told me that I had to hang it for her, I started laughing and told her there was a mistake, I only deliver, she said when I ordered the TV the person who delivers it will also install it... You know that wasn't happening.... I still laugh about it..

"Gee, I'm so sorry, apparently the person you ordered the TV from forgot to schedule the installation. I'll leave the TV with you and you call them back up and let them know they forgot to schedule the installation. I'm sure they will take care of you."

I mean turnabout is fair play, right? :)

AKCoverMan

I always tell these people, "Yes, it's a great gig, but it's usually too much of a good thing. Your welcome to apply.. ups.com awaits!"

rod

Retired 22 years
We used to do the exchange thing with telephones. I got so I could take the customers phone off the wall and replace it with the new one in about 15 seconds. Some of those little old ladies thought UPS and the phone company were the same thing. Anyone remember "fur calll " boxes where we used to pick up the ladies furs (mink coats and such) in the spring and they would be returned in the fall?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
We used to do the exchange thing with telephones. I got so I could take the customers phone off the wall and replace it with the new one in about 15 seconds. Some of those little old ladies thought UPS and the phone company were the same thing. Anyone remember "fur calll " boxes where we used to pick up the ladies furs (mink coats and such) in the spring and they would be returned in the fall?

Holy crap, I thought I've been around forever, but "fur calls" were gone before I started!

I thought that was more a big city thing.

barnyard

KTM rider
"Gee, I'm so sorry, apparently the person you ordered the TV from forgot to schedule the installation. I'll leave the TV with you and you call them back up and let them know they forgot to schedule the installation. I'm sure they will take care of you."

I like that. I like it a lot. I will remember that and undoubtedly use it.

rod

Retired 22 years
Holy crap, I thought I've been around forever, but "fur calls" were gone before I started!

I thought that was more a big city thing.

You are correct but I still had a couple of them every year in the little town I delivered to in the early part of my career. Needless to say they were for the "rich" ladies in town. I would show up with an empty box, put the mink coat into a special bag , place it in the box and tape it up real good. If I remember right they went to some la-tee-da furrier in Kansas City to be stored in their special fur lockers for the summer.

sven

Customer is responsible to have any pickup boxed and or labeled for pickup. Its not the drivers job to pack or unpack a delivery or pickup. If they refuse to sign...refuse the delivery. In comments on diad type refused to sign. 11th commandment...always cover your ass.

TUT

But don't we fall victims to labels oursevles? I bet most if not all of us here know we have to box (and prior to working for UPS), we wouldn't ever expect a courier to box, have no problem boxing it ourselves etc. That has to be the large majority of us. And then you have elderly and the thankless lazies, that do expect more, but are simply mistaken. But stating that is America today, I wiill never not have my package correct and ready for a courier, that's the America I know. Don't allow a slice to spoil it all.

TUT

Turnabouts? You just told them exactly what happened and what they need to do next.

OptimusPrime

Customer is responsible to have any pickup boxed and or labeled for pickup. Its not the drivers job to pack or unpack a delivery or pickup. If they refuse to sign...refuse the delivery. In comments on diad type refused to sign. 11th commandment...always cover your ass.

We do have those Return Service deals, but have only read about them in the diad training. You get an empty box with all the packing stuff, and you are required to box it up.

gingerkat

Optimus, you get a high five in my book. Not many would have waited as long as you did. Sadly my driver told some emergency responders 'hey, we're busy this time of year and we don't have time to chase you down". I was mortified and gave that guy a wink and a smile as he signed for his box. All I could think was "damn, they were probably putting out a fire or saving a life and he's mad that we had to come back".

I guess everyone has a certain way of dealing with things.