The Big Brown Oven On Wheels!

DS

Fenderbender
My pet peeve, also. My standard reply is no,( while I am drenched in sweat delivering their packages).
I just smile and say, "Lets kick it up another 10 more degrees and weed out the wimps".
They just smile back at me and stay in the A/C, while I go back to my pkg car.
Thats a code 14 right there,the driver was being sarcastic and he was rude and disrespectful,and I want him fired.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It was brutal here today...58 degrees and raining. I had to wear a vest. I actually came home and built a fire because my wife complained about the cold.:laughing:
On the subject of A/C....I dont see any realistic way to keep a pkg car comfortable in the heat, but it is my understsanding that some of the routes in Death Valley have air conditioning. Is that true?

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
The heat sucks, no doubt. But I'll still take 90 and humid over what some of you guys deal with in winter. No one ever got a p700 stuck in the humidity!

john346

No more Brown!
31 degrees here overnight with some new snow! Global Warming??
My last car was a Sprinter, and by far that was the hottest car I've ever ben in. You couldn't roll down the windows on dirt roads as it would choke you out with the dust, you could turn on the fan, but the route the intake took through the engine compartment was like turning on the heater.
July of '05 was the worst (picture), running in the high nineties and inside the car was unbelievable. Initially I tried to convince myself that I was being a wimp, that it wasn't that hot in the Sprinter, but when I felt a drop of sticky stuff fall on my leg, and looked up to see that it was the glue running out from behind the airbag warning sticker on the visor, that wimp crap went out the window, at least when I could roll it down anyhow.
I'm an EMT-B and clearly recognized the stages of heat exhaustion taking place on ME!
Several times that year, I'd pull over, get out with a Gatoraide to replace the electrolites, place a cold damp rag on my neck and take out 20 minutes to equalize. Packages and time constraints be damned. I even had a couple of days where I may have had some missed. But the way I had it in my head was if I were in the hospital because of this, the packages wern't moving any faster, and they (management), would have something to worry about.
I don't know how you do it in warmer climates, like AZ,NM,TX, etc. But wow! I would just be alert for signs of being dizzy, and disconnected thought process, as those are early signs that your body can't take much more. Easy on too much of the H2o as well, alternate between water & Gatoraide, & I mean Gatoraide, there are lots of other sports drinks out there that cost less, but in my research, none can match the electrolite & sodium levels that your body needs. Good luck!
HPIM1241.jpg

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
68 degrees in the tractor last nite,it sucked,the fan switch for high a.c burnt out and I couldn't turn it up higher.... had to pull over for extra icecoffee saftey saftey saftey first

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
My personal favorite is sliding the bulkhead door open after the truck has been baking in the sun over the lunch hour and the wave of heat hits you in the face like a sock full of nickels. The hottest weather I've ever worked in was last summer when we had a week straight of 130 friend weather with 100% humidity. I'll take the frozen tundra in the winter over those temperatures anyday.

rushfan

I love the little round button in my Mack Ch600 that has the initials "AC" on it. It got rather chilly in the tractor, so I had to turn it down to #1. Snow in the Blue Mountains, drivers were dropping their 3rd Box. Global Warming is a bitch.

satellitedriver

Thats a code 14 right there,the driver was being sarcastic and he was rude and disrespectful,and I want him fired.
Easy for an Eskimo to say.
Try 95+ degrees , 5 months out of the year.
Fire me?
Heck, I am on fire in a UPS car half of the year, only my sweat keeps the flames down.
As to the rude, sarcastic and disrespectful comment, you might be correct.
The only defense I can mount is that I was suffering from heat stroke and dehydration, throwing off my potassium balance and causing a temporary lack of judgment to keep my mouth shut.
What's a Code 14?

WhatPCM

Insubordinator
Finger lakes NY area has been unbearably hot. high 90's all week. Finally rained last night some relief today. Winters arent that bad. I can adjust to the cold. The heat is what really gets me. I cannot stand being sticky and sweaty all day long.

BrownPR215

What Can Brown Do To You!
You must be new then if this is the hottest day you have ever delivered. It gets hotter. We haave a driver that calls off anytime it gets above 90, especially when the humidity is 90% like it was the last few days. The thing that bothers me the most is my feet are friend---in' hot in my new shoes.

I'm what you would say not new but not a senior driver. I've got 3 years on the job come September but 98 degrees plus humidity (the Philly way) = 110 heat index...thats pretty hot to me. Maybe what made it worst was it was only June 10th. Now you know what the summer has in store for us!

outta hours

Driving in the Texas heat for the past 23 years I have adopted the following as my summer theme song:

The Heat Miser Song

I'm Mister Green Christmas
I'm Mister Sun
I'm Mister Heat Blister
I'm Mister Hundred and One
They call me Heat Miser,
What ever I touch
Starts to melt in my clutch
I'm too much!
He's Mister Green Christmas
He's Mister Sun
He's Mister Heat Blister
He's Mister Hundred and One
They call me Heat Miser,
What ever I touch
Starts to melt in my clutch
He's too much!
Thank you!
I never want to see a day
That's under sixty degrees
I'd rather have it eighty, Ninety, one hundred degrees!
(spoken) Oh, some like it hot, but I like it REALLY hot! Hee hee!
He's Mister Green Christmas
He's Mister Sun
Sing it!
He's Mister Heat Blister
He's Mister Hundred and One
They call me Heat Miser,
What ever I touch Starts to melt in my clutch
I'm too much!
Too Much!

Lobofan5

I grew up in California and I SWEAR that until I moved to Ohio in 1994 I NEVER ONCE saw any UPS delivery person wear pants, or a jacket. I had no idea that pants were even offered as part of the uniform.

A little bit of trivia.:happy2: