The Coddling of the American Mind

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
“Political correctness is America's newest form of intolerance, and it is especially pernicious because it comes disguised as tolerance. It presents itself as fairness, yet attempts to restrict and control people's language with strict codes and rigid rules. I'm not sure that's the way to fight discrimination. I'm not sure silencing people or forcing them to alter their speech is the best method for solving problems that go much deeper than speech.” ― George Carlin

Came across this YouTube video and found it interesting and scary because of the increased rate of suicides in children, especially girls.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
“Political correctness is America's newest form of intolerance, and it is especially pernicious because it comes disguised as tolerance. It presents itself as fairness, yet attempts to restrict and control people's language with strict codes and rigid rules. I'm not sure that's the way to fight discrimination. I'm not sure silencing people or forcing them to alter their speech is the best method for solving problems that go much deeper than speech.” ― George Carlin

Came across this YouTube video and found it interesting and scary because of the increased rate of suicides in children, especially girls.

Good talk, glad to see liberals discussing it.

'No Safe Spaces' is a decent documentary on the problem of censorship in higher education. It recently hit the torrent sites if you get things that way.

There has been a shift from promoting tolerance, to demanding acceptance. The new narrative is essentially 'safetyism', where anyone with different opinions from you is called out as intolerant and a danger to your safety. It's bizarre.

I really don't think things can go on this way and I'm afraid of the psychological impact of teaching this garbage to children.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE

'No Safe Spaces' is a decent documentary on the problem of censorship in higher education. It recently hit the torrent sites if you get things that way.

There has been a shift from promoting tolerance, to demanding acceptance. The new narrative is essentially 'safetyism', where anyone with different opinions from you is called out as intolerant and a danger to your safety. It's bizarre.

I really don't think things can go on this way and I'm afraid of the psychological impact of teaching this garbage to children.
My god!!!
Good post man
I 100% agree
We need balance.
To me, we basically just need to teach kids “you’re not allowed to be a complete prick to other people just because they are different from you”
Other than that, this is America, and we shouldn’t be forcing any specific social point of view onto any child. Give them facts, let them gather information and learn for themselves

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
My god!!!
Good post man
I 100% agree
We need balance.
To me, we basically just need to teach kids “you’re not allowed to be a complete prick to other people just because they are different from you”
Other than that, this is America, and we shouldn’t be forcing any specific social point of view onto any child. Give them facts, let them gather information and learn for themselves

Here's where I would disagree: "you're not allowed" should be "you shouldn't, and here's why." That's where I think the biggest divergence in views lies. "Not allowed" suggests that there should be legal recourse, when it should be an issue of values and not laws. Who gets to decide what it means to be a prick to someone? And who gets to judge why you were being a prick? These seem like petty details, but they make all the difference in the world.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

We talk about this s:censored2:t-in-the-head people and it makes sense ... for instance, women under age 30 are so intolerant and controlling.

floridays

We talk about this s:censored2:t-in-the-head people and it makes sense ... for instance, women under age 30 are so intolerant and controlling.
Does the young lady taking care or you (I used the term lady loosely, she could be a trick, bitch or ho) never mind, I forgot what I was attempting to say.

Ok, I got it back, old rat, your handmaiden is a real piece of work, is that correct?

floridays

I knew this would be cerebral when Bill Maher was sitting on the white porecelain seat, :censored2: storm, yeah respect yer elders.. blah, blah, blah.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Ive said it before, and ill say it again. "Womens rights" are destroying this country
I agree with you and I’m a woman. Many young men now don’t feel they have a place in this society because women don’t need them, so they just stay home and play video games. The stronger women become, the less they need men and the weaker the men become. It ends up resulting in a lot of single mother households with children having no fathers around.

vantexan

I agree with you and I’m a woman. Many young men now don’t feel they have a place in this society because women don’t need them, so they just stay home and play video games. The stronger women become, the less they need men and the weaker the men become. It ends up resulting in a lot of single mother households with children having no fathers around.
Seems like a lot of issues are all contributing to the insanity we've experienced for months now. I follow quite a few forums and groups on living in a number of countries. The gender issues, the gay issues, the race issues are at most minimal in these places. A lot of places have a live and let live attitude. Keep it out of my face and I won't get in yours. No place is perfect but it does seem our college educated young adults are being indoctrinated to the point they'd rather destroy the country than allow anything they find offensive to continue. And it seems everything is offensive. I think we've outsmarted ourselves with the technology, and there's no going back.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member

I was a bit surprised to find this and how they discussed the subject matter. For a Bill Maher 8 min clip it really hit home by showing it is a concerning and dangerous reality.

Hopefully, since it has been made somewhat mainstream by being discussed on Bill's show it will shed some light on how dangerous it really is.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
... A lot of places have a live and let live attitude. Keep it out of my face and I won't get in yours.
No place is perfect but it does seem our college educated young adults are being indoctrinated to the point they'd rather destroy the country than allow anything they find offensive to continue. And it seems everything is offensive. ...
I agree with this. This is me to 'T' except I would add 'Don't hurt or infringe on other's rights.'
This is my daughter to a 'T'.
Her son is a prime example of Gen Z ...

he is 20 and has been indoctrinated that White is wrong and defers to others and lives with his mother.
Hopefully he grows up and doesn't become a rickyb.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Ive said it before, and ill say it again. "Womens rights" are destroying this country
It's not "Women's rights" that they be treated the same and have the same opportunities as men ...
... it's Women's belief that men (and everyone) must conform to their beliefs and ...​
extreme intolerance for those that don't!​

Last edited:

FromOffTheStreets

We see now the fruits of their actions but the seed and roots are deeper.
They removed the "force" that once restrained their rebellion(the idea of God). In doing so they create their own "book" that everyone else must abide by(political correctness). "They" are now the gods that pass judgement.

It's fair to say that most people didn't follow or really even believe in God over the millennia, but I think that there was @ least a respect for the possibility. That hint of a possibility restrains pride & arrogance because there exists something bigger & more powerful than you.
Taking away the possibility, which is what we've done in colleges & schools & even churches unleashes the unrestrained arrogance we see on tv ,in sports ,movies ,music ,etc.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
To me , being in my 60's, this is so obvious and common sense. You have to struggle thru life to be strong.It's a rule of nature and the universe. Why are oak trees so strong? because they are continually battling with nature.

Old fashion values never go out of style. My parents' generation was much stronger than us boomers. World War, Great depression , hunger , made people strong or they perished. Each generation is getting weaker and weaker .

I see parents nowadays and just shake my head. he was right about them negotiating with their kids. cajolling etc. Yesterday I saw the guy across the street pleading with his 3 year old to please get into the car. I yelled from my driveway "you want me to smack that kid for you?" he didnt think it was funny. I felt sorry for him knowing the problems he will have in the future with this kid.

There are 3 young families on my street that their parents bought the homes . All the men are spineless. They either stay at home with the kids and their wives work or they have minimum wage part time jobs. Their parents have to add money to their bank accounts every month to help them. We spoke to one of the older parents and they said it was "better than all of them living with us"

so sad. it's from 20 plus years of coddling. these people just dont get it.

we have 6 grown children. all strong and on their own 2 feet. we were strict. they had chores. they were expected to take care of themselves. we were NOT their "friends or pals" . we were parents. From age 12 on we told them they were out of the house at age 18 unless they went to college. They got the message.

They knew what was expected of them. No excuses. No whining. Sure we helped them in emergencies ( which is rare ) but they have all done well and we are very proud. Some of their children are grown now. Two in the Air Force , one is assistant mgr at a retail shop and one is only 16 and working already. Some are going to college and we plan on helping.

I don't see this coddling trend ending soon. The only way it will be reversed is by real hard times coming again to make these kids either sink or swim.

Darwinism......survival of the fittest......what we should have had all along.