" The Times They Are A Changing"

Mutineer

It’s not long ago y’all called them “essential”. Now you call them “expendable” and get defensive when they tell you to pound sand.

It’s not that hard to figure out.
Yes.

Those very few words exactly sum it all up, and also speak volumes.

Zero to Hero and back to Zero in the blink of an eye.

It's hard for a person to know where they stand.

Mutineer

Stand together and demand decent pay and benefits or quit whining

If you believe Fedex ever thought you were a hero you’re kidding yourself.

At no prolonged time has the demand for couriers been so high, yet simultaneously been treated like such trash.

I find that very amusing. But not surprising.

I was a contractor for XG for many years, I never had ANY illusions as to where I stood.

During the pandemic, my last employer thought they could work me more, pay me less, and thought I would stay around.

Although the van stayed around downtown, I found something else to do.

Merlin17

Exactly what sort of "talent" is required to be a courier?

None. That's why the wages are reflecting that fact.

In the days of the Thomas Guide, a courier who knew his route was a pain to replace.

Not nearly so much in the age of hand-held devices that plot a route for you.
Glad that I am currently stuck in a profession where everyone looks down on you for trying to put food on the table while making sure your wife can get her bachelor's degree to get to her dream.... while they are looking down they tell you how worthless you are.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You should condescend to take the time to watch. You could use the enlightenment.

Maybe even learn a little humility.

Who am I kidding???
Kidding aside, I never watch those. People want to take 7 minutes to make a point they could make, and possibly make much more effectively, in 2. If it's someone I've heard of or like, maybe.

I trust that you could write a couple of paragraphs that properly and clearly summarize whatever it is he's talking about. It's not like you're bacha or someone like that.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Kidding aside, I never watch those. People want to take 7 minutes to make a point they could make, and possibly make much more effectively, in 2. If it's someone I've heard of or like, maybe.

I trust that you could write a couple of paragraphs that properly and clearly summarize whatever it is he's talking about. It's not like you're bacha or someone like that.
Your loss. Jordan Peterson is one of the more rational speakers of our time.

Even if he is cantnadian.

Mutineer

Glad that I am currently stuck in a profession where everyone looks down on you for trying to put food on the table while making sure your wife can get her bachelor's degree to get to her dream.... while they are looking down they tell you how worthless you are.
I won't look down upon you.

Though everyone else will when yer woman gets her fancy college degree, and yer still working a dead-end job.

After that, it won't take long for her to start shopping around for someone nearer her intellect, income, and status.

Sure enough, some Tarzan-stud with a high paying, satisfying career in his daddy's business will come buzzin' 'round her hive.
He went to college, too. One day at Starbuck's she'll giggle and tell him "weee have sooo much in common!" She'll gush and tell him all the same lies she told you. Once upon a time.

Naw. Just kidding. Nothing like that will happen to you. You'll be fine.

Just fine.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I’ve seen more than a few college graduates driving Fred’s late freight all over hell’s half acre.

As one prospective employer once told a friend of mine during an interview, “College degrees? Well they’re just like a******s. Everybody’s got one.”

Merlin17

Though everyone else will when yer woman gets her fancy college degree, and yer still working a dead-end job.

After that, it won't take long for her to start shopping around for someone nearer her intellect, income, and status.

Sure enough, some Tarzan-stud with a high paying, satisfying career in his daddy's business will come buzzin' 'round her hive.
He went to college, too. One day at Starbuck's she'll giggle and tell him "weee have sooo much in common!" She'll gush and tell him all the same lies she told you. Once upon a time.

Just fine.
Must be a sad and lonely life you live man.

yadig

Just fine.
I don’t hv a college degree. I have a set of skills and a tool to go with them. She’ll like it

floridays

I’ve seen more than a few college graduates driving Fred’s late freight all over hell’s half acre.

As one prospective employer once told a friend of mine during an interview, “College degrees? Well they’re just like a******s. Everybody’s got one.”
A lot of it depends on which year or era one is degreed.