the truth about 22.3 fulltime

Overpaid Union Thug

I used to be interested in getting a 22.3 but after reading about all the layoffs and eliminations I've realized that maybe being a driver is more secure. A 22.3 would be nice but UPS seems to be getting away with cutting the jobs at will and nobody is stopping them even though they are violating the contract. A bunch of us were talking about combo jobs before work. We'd like to see a "SPA/Air Driver" job created. Most of our part-time drivers are on preload and there is always one (mostly the same guy) running air after preload is down. To me that would justify the need for that job to be turned into a 22.3. But then again...what's the point if UPS is able to get rid of these jobs at will?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I used to be interested in getting a 22.3 but after reading about all the layoffs and eliminations I've realized that maybe being a driver is more secure. A 22.3 would be nice but UPS seems to be getting away with cutting the jobs at will and nobody is stopping them even though they are violating the contract. A bunch of us were talking about combo jobs before work. We'd like to see a "SPA/Air Driver" job created. Most of our part-time drivers are on preload and there is always one (mostly the same guy) running air after preload is down. To me that would justify the need for that job to be turned into a 22.3. But then again...what's the point if UPS is able to get rid of these jobs at will?

Funny you mention that- management changd all of the SPA jobs in the hub to SPA-Boxline load without consent of the union. They say that since half of your job is still SPA (with those stupid Ispa machines) that it qualifies as your bid.

Now they're SPA/hub humping packages for 8+ hours and the union won't back up the 22.3s. It's really sad the direction things are headed.

- UPS is going to change bids convienently after the fact rather than implement it before the bids(bait and switch) and pull every string to get the most they can out fo people, and the union are backing management.

Overpaid Union Thug

Funny you mention that- management changd all of the SPA jobs in the hub to SPA-Boxline load without consent of the union. They say that since half of your job is still SPA (with those stupid Ispa machines) that it qualifies as your bid.

Now they're SPA/hub humping packages for 8+ hours and the union won't back up the 22.3s. It's really sad the direction things are headed.

- UPS is going to change bids convienently after the fact rather than implement it before the bids(bait and switch) and pull every string to get the most they can out fo people, and the union are backing management.

Here the highest seniority preloaders are slappers (SPA) and if we were somehow able to get the jobs combined with air driving then it would be pretty sweet. There is no shift before preload and the only job other than air driving after preload is customer counter. We were supposed to have a preload/customer counter job created later year. A driver won the bid and was given a start date but the job was cancelled before they could change jobs. So, at least here UPS eliminates the jobs before anyone even starts working in them. LOL!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Here the highest seniority preloaders are slappers (SPA) and if we were somehow able to get the jobs combined with air driving then it would be pretty sweet. There is no shift before preload and the only job other than air driving after preload is customer counter. We were supposed to have a preload/customer counter job created later year. A driver won the bid and was given a start date but the job was cancelled before they could change jobs. So, at least here UPS eliminates the jobs before anyone even starts working in them. LOL!

The last part is funny. But, still, not as bad as bait and switch.

There is one preload/counter job at the center I worked at. The guy would onyl work half of his bid sometimes, and would go into the counter and read the paper for the back half 4 hours. I'd go into the counter in the late morning and nothing would be done except a few ruffled up newspapers. :D

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
there is always one (mostly the same guy) running air after preload is down. To me that would justify the need for that job to be turned into a 22.3. But then again...what's the point if UPS is able to get rid of these jobs at will?

my buddy is doing that and he is a 22.3 inside/outside guy. $14 unloading and $23 delivering air is what he makes........

IDoLessWorkThanMost

my buddy is doing that and he is a 22.3 inside/outside guy. $14 unloading and $23 delivering air is what he makes........

THis is why we need the old -timers with 25 -30 + years in FT driving to get off their routes and into inside/out combos. they'd make good money (24-30 inside depending on years, 22.97 or 23.12 for air driving work) and save alot of stress on their body. Plus they'd give the young guys a chance at full-time.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
THis is why we need the old -timers with 25 -30 + years in FT driving to get off their routes and into inside/out combos. they'd make good money (24-30 inside depending on years, 22.97 or 23.12 for air driving work) and save alot of stress on their body. Plus they'd give the young guys a chance at full-time.
We had a few do just that. Sadly most got bored & went back to their old bids.
Its air driver.....22.97 now

IDoLessWorkThanMost

We had a few do just that. Sadly most got bored & went back to their old bids.
Its air driver.....22.97 now

There's bids here in CHEMA that are 23.12 for air driving, because they start at 11pm work till 3am then 4-8 air shuttle.

Great jobs, because the first half is basically retapes in the mid, then a shuttle run to Logan or whatever. Not picking up 40 boxes =-)

New Englander

There's bids here in CHEMA that are 23.12 for air driving, because they start at 11pm work till 3am then 4-8 air shuttle.

Great jobs, because the first half is basically retapes in the mid, then a shuttle run to Logan or whatever. Not picking up 40 boxes =-)

I would absolutely bid one of those and be able to participate in my children growing up!
I'd sleep while there in school and be able to participate in all after school activities.

MinnesotaBrown

Gee,were can I sign up for that? Take a $5 paycut,do some crap inside work at late night hours? You young guys can have the same chance I got,wait for someone to retire and then move up. You want a charity job go work for United Way.

Mike Hawk

Gee,were can I sign up for that? Take a $5 paycut,do some crap inside work at late night hours? You young guys can have the same chance I got,wait for someone to retire and then move up. You want a charity job go work for United Way.
Our one 22.3 is a driver that bid, she didn't have much seniority but she got it because the other drivers had a similar attitude to yours. Now she works 8 hours or less(if she wants) a day and gets to go boating/tubing/whatever while the drivers that didn't bid kick themselves while they are out till 6-7 every night. She will SPA for 5 hours then do 20-25 air stops untill she is eligible to retire, im sure she is in living hell.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Once again, you're missing the point. Try reading.

If you worked with the company 30 years, you're not taking that much of a paycut for an inside/outside.

It'd be 26-27/hr hour for the 4 inside, and 22.97 or 23.12/hr outside. Hardly a "5/hr" paycut. More like 3/hr averaged out.

That is why I'm saying, these jobs are geared for the oldtimers, and most of them DON'T EVEN KNOW IT because they don't know the contract.

outamyway

Our one 22.3 is a driver that bid, she didn't have much seniority but she got it because the other drivers had a similar attitude to yours. Now she works 8 hours or less(if she wants) a day and gets to go boating/tubing/whatever while the drivers that didn't bid kick themselves while they are out till 6-7 every night. She will SPA for 5 hours then do 20-25 air stops untill she is eligible to retire, im sure she is in living hell.

Lets just hope the 22.3 jobs are still available by the time she retires.

cajunboy

I will gladly give you my combo.
Its in/out , but almost all of the day is out.
I really enjoy driving 60-70 miles @day in city traffic, especially with all those other jackass drivers, suicide bikers, & walkers that dart out from between parked cars.

what is your combo, I am an in/out as well air/night sort. they are giving me a hard time lately about the air part.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
in ( Customer Counter ) / out ( air driver ; evening pickups cover route )
avg day is mostly spent driving around moving misloads & getting working Diads to drivers.:knockedout: