The Ultimate "Why Orion Is A Failure" thread......

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That's exactly what they want, eliminate driver knowledge and have mindless clones behind the wheel

More like:

They want (easily replaceable) mindless management clones, that sit behind a desk.

Even the long term veteran supes, are wallowing in that "sea of disbelief".

They thought, they offered a tangible benefit to the company.

They thought wrong....

another useless thread *rolls eyes *
jOgYhl4bPxPAYJyWyT.gif

KOG72

I’m full of it
I'm not a math guy... But, after a little Google research. A route of 200 stops would have this many different ways to run it,

51476250067707216486487940160200993378605462690538824117424529787961666186325979299168297759488246475782024298753387060

That's not a joke. That's from some calculations website. So it must be true..
you are a genius

iowa boy

I will happily oblige.

I agree. They want me to be a mindless clone, for 62.7 cents per minute, I can be a very happy mindless clone.

It is very freeing to blindly follow orion, no thinking, no guessing, just drive the truck from point a to point b, deliver package, drive to point c,... and do this over and over all day.

JustDeliverIt

I will happily oblige.

I agree. They want me to be a mindless clone, for 62.7 cents per minute, I can be a very happy mindless clone.

It is very freeing to blindly follow orion, no thinking, no guessing, just drive the truck from point a to point b, deliver package, drive to point c,... and do this over and over all day.

I completely agree. It is frustrating at times, common sense and driver knowledge being disregarded. But that's how they want it. And then they're surprised when it turns out like it does. Oh well, just WAD.

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
If we assume that the optimal order for delivering a route will be running it in segments of straight business deliveries, straight pickups, and straight residential deliveries, you are correct (and to be extra fair to your idea, maybe we should add straight next day air to the start there).

Even if we don't throw anything 'interesting" into that mix like placard pickups that are earlier in the day than you'd finish your last business delivery...

That solution is clearly not the optimal solution for delivering a route in almost all cases. It isn't even close. Have next day air in an area that you'd normally spend a lot of time and miles getting to, and it can be your last air stop, and you can knock out all the nearby deliveries after making that air stop so you don't need to backtrack 20 minutes later in your day? Sorry, those additional deliveries are mixed business and commercial. So uhh, we'll just deliver the business and then backtrack later for 4 residential stops. Because we're running straight businesses. Or maybe that area is all residential. So we go to the first business, bypassing those 4 residential stops, and then spend 20 minutes later in the day to back track for no reason.

So maybe you improve on the idea and find an approach to when it makes sense to insert resis into that order of businesses, and insert pickups in there in a smarter way, et cetera. And you do it in a way that is, computationally speaking, reasonable based on our current level of technology. That approach is literally what ORION already is (except, worse at solving the problem we really want to solve, because the framework behind ORION is way more robust than what we're describing here).
Robust isn't the word, majorly flawed is, and not to mention a complete waste of money. Ups will never gain the money back spent on it.