The Virus likely mutated in Italy, the same can and might happen here.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
As of 6:20pm on March 22nd, the total cases in China is just over 81,000 with just over 3,200 people dying as a result of the disease.
In Italy, there are just over 59,000 cases and over 5,400 people that have died as a result of the disease.
32,000 less cases in Italy but 2,200 more deaths. Italy also has 3,000 people in critical condition while China has just over 1,800.
Coronavirus Update (Live): 336,838 Cases and 14,616 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

This can likely be the result of a mutation in the virus. Bacteria is a-sexual which means it reproduces by making a copy of itself. Just like any type of reproductive system mutations can occur during this process and when you reproduce as quickly and frequently as bacteria the more likely the chances of a mutation to occur.

I believe this happened in Italy, I think Italy's COVID-19 is not the same as China's and this is resulting in a higher contamination rate and a higher mortality rate.

UPS is not taking this matter seriously, they have provided no PPE such as gloves or masks and they have not clean or disinfected any surfaces on the trucks that I have seen. Nor have they provided any type of sterilization. All they have done is cancel morning meetings and tell us to wash our hands at all the very convenient hand washing stations out on route.

This situation is as serious as it gets and with the extreme exposure to drivers and other UPS employees something has to be done or it can and will cost lives and a lot of them.
Possibly. I have heard this but not from reputed sources

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
And Italy, like France and definitely like China has a high population of cigarette smokers. Also they live in much closer quarters than in the US. In Europe, its more common for a generation of family to live together.

So a generally older population with high smoking rates all living with a generation of family in generally smaller homes in a crammed city.
I mean the outbreaks in the USA pretty much tell the story on population density to this point.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
As of 6:20pm on March 22nd, the total cases in China is just over 81,000 with just over 3,200 people dying as a result of the disease.
In Italy, there are just over 59,000 cases and over 5,400 people that have died as a result of the disease.
32,000 less cases in Italy but 2,200 more deaths. Italy also has 3,000 people in critical condition while China has just over 1,800.
Coronavirus Update (Live): 336,838 Cases and 14,616 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

This can likely be the result of a mutation in the virus. Bacteria is a-sexual which means it reproduces by making a copy of itself. Just like any type of reproductive system mutations can occur during this process and when you reproduce as quickly and frequently as bacteria the more likely the chances of a mutation to occur.

I believe this happened in Italy, I think Italy's COVID-19 is not the same as China's and this is resulting in a higher contamination rate and a higher mortality rate.

UPS is not taking this matter seriously, they have provided no PPE such as gloves or masks and they have not clean or disinfected any surfaces on the trucks that I have seen. Nor have they provided any type of sterilization. All they have done is cancel morning meetings and tell us to wash our hands at all the very convenient hand washing stations out on route.

This situation is as serious as it gets and with the extreme exposure to drivers and other UPS employees something has to be done or it can and will cost lives and a lot of them.

Why are you talking about bacterial reproduction when this is a virus? You know the two are different, right? And bacteria can swap dna with each other through several different methods, one of which being viral infection.

Viruses reproduce through injecting their dna into the nuclei of the a host cell and hijacking their duplication processes. The viruses continue to copy until they burst out of the cell. They can pick up stray bits of dna from any host cell, but almost all of that dna doesn't do anything to change the virus, or if it does it kills the virus.

They can also suffer from transcription errors, which mostly kill the viruses. If mutations occur, they also almost always kill the virus. Not saying it can't happen, but even if it does, and the virus survives, it doesn't necessarily mean it becomes more virulent.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Any timeline on how fast it kills them? Generally? I'm curious. Say if we literally

shut it down for a month and I mean tight, would it kill who were going to die?

And go away?

With all respect to all of course. Just in the most basic, blunt terms?
I don’t know that that’s really possible to know.

1) you can’t be certain when someone contracted it.

2) you have carriers that show little to no symptoms.

because of the number of people that don’t show symptoms and the length of time it can survive on some surfaces I’m not sure a total lockdown for 30 days would even get the job done.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
They can mutate either direction. Some mutations will flat out kill the virus because it can't survive with it. This is also how every species was developed. A species mutates a trait the helps it survive and it will. If a negative mutation happens it will die. Giraffe's long necks are an example. Giraffes used to have short necks, a giraffes mutated to have a longer necks which made them capable of reaching the taller trees and it survived and reproduced because of this. All of the giraffes with short necks died because they starved. It's the same way wolves developed claws, elephants grew trunks and humans became bipedal and developed thumbs. The more exposure the virus has to mutate the higher the chances that it will. (sorry to the religious people that don't believe in evolution)

agree. nature always strives for perfection , i.e. survival in that regard. and example is antibiotics that no longer work on some infections because the infections mutated to survive.

people who are out in the dirt and grime all the time have stronger immune systems for a similar reason. nature is amazing.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Why are you talking about bacterial reproduction when this is a virus? You know the two are different, right? And bacteria can swap dna with each other through several different methods, one of which being viral infection.

Viruses reproduce through injecting their dna into the nuclei of the a host cell and hijacking their duplication processes. The viruses continue to copy until they burst out of the cell. They can pick up stray bits of dna from any host cell, but almost all of that dna doesn't do anything to change the virus, or if it does it kills the virus.

They can also suffer from transcription errors, which mostly kill the viruses. If mutations occur, they also almost always kill the virus. Not saying it can't happen, but even if it does, and the virus survives, it doesn't necessarily mean it becomes more virulent.
Dude he has a environmental science degree and worked at amazon. What the hell do you know?

Dumbo

Take the population of New York, and imagine everyone has their parents living with them in small crammed together homes, and it's customary to kiss each other's cheeks and smoke cigarettes, then add in the extremely late response from their government, and you have the difference. Imagine how bad New York would be if we lived like that. I'm not knocking Italian culture whatsoever. In fact , in my opinion they are getting :censored2:ed over for being an affectionate, loving people who take care of their elders. They spend time together and bond over food and family and they are getting :censored2:ed for it. It's a shame.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

because of the number of people that don’t show symptoms and the length of time it can survive on some surfaces I’m not sure a total lockdown for 30 days would even get the job done.
Plus, how do you put cities homeless people on lockdown? Here Tom, stay at your shopping cart for thirty days, don’t leave unless you need food......

quad decade guy

I appreciate it. Seems to me, that shut everything down, carriers will give to whoever,

they will die or not. Question is how long can the carriers infect? I realize that's a

vast over-simplification.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Take the population of New York, and imagine everyone has their parents living with them in small crammed together homes, and it's customary to kiss each other's cheeks and smoke cigarettes, then add in the extremely late response from their government, and you have the difference. Imagine how bad New York would be if we lived like that. I'm not knocking Italian culture whatsoever. In fact , in my opinion they are getting :censored2:ed over for being an affectionate, loving people who take care of their elders. They spend time together and bond over food and family and they are getting :censored2:ed for it. It's a shame.
How many weeks behind Italy are we? As far as first infection? Let’s not think the bodies aren’t gonna pile up here.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Dude you basically just described NY lol. Especially the Bronx, since New York has one of the highest Italian population in the United States.

Edit: NY has the highest population of Italians in North America. Coincidence that NY is the worse in US right now? I rest my case judge! Take him away.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Thta's how my Italian family was ( Boston area ) until they came to America around 1900. Everyone lived in the same home , children, parents, grandparents all under the same roof. It was great , the large dinner tables with all the adults at one table and the kids at the other. Lots of hugs and kisses. Lots of food and Vino.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
I stayed at a Holiday Inn express last night.
9A7FC257-FFF8-4999-BF25-1A81EDDCB678.gif