Thinking about leaving this bad place.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
This pizzatoups guy seems like he knows a little too much about this for a preloader that’s only been there 2 months . I smell a rat.

I mean I have been on preload for less than half a year and yet I can use my co-workers and this forum to know how the whole yearly cycle goes and what routes my drivers take (I fully memorized one route after peak) and what they deal with and what my supervisors may try to pull behind my back etc. etc.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
F345332E-D3AA-4FD6-819F-246483A8FFA5.gif
Do you guys actually sort your truck?

Wat!!!

IESucks

Hello all, I have been working for the ups company for two whole months now and I am thinking about leaving. I wanted to be a ups driver after having a career of delivering pizzas but after loading trucks for the last 60+ days I am second guessing if I want to become a driver for the next 25+ years. Here is what I learned in my 60 days as a preloader.

The drivers who come in are insanely depressed and worn out physically and mentally. I don't know how many drivers that I load for complain to dispatch because they were given an extra split or that their back hurts. These drivers complain that they have 200+ stops and pick ups. These people just seem like they hate their life but they have worked for the company for too damn long to think about leaving to start a new career. They feel that if they left now, all the years spent to be a driver would be a waste.

There is also another driver that I load for who works 10-12 hours a day and he just recently told me that he got a divorce and his wife gets the majority of the custody because he's never around to go to their softball games or back to school nights. He told me how depressing it is to leave his house in the dark to go to work and doesn't return home until after dark as well. He said its heart breaking to see families huddled around the living room watching a movie or eating dinner while he's delivering pointless Amazon packages at 8:30-9:00 PM.

The money made as a driver is great but I feel that a lot of drivers are trapped or complacent and stop counts are only going to rise in the future because it seems like management would rather pay 4 drivers 12 hours of work then pay 6 drivers 8 hours each.

It's depressing to me to see in the 60 days that I have been there so many people complaining that their knees are shot, that their backs ache, or that they think they tore something in the shoulder. I have seen a lot of people go on disability to get surgerys.

sorry for the rant, I just feel like you drivers go through a lot of crap and your home life suffers because of it due to the constant increases of stops and expectations and it doesn't seem to look any better in the future now that we are offering Saturday ground now. Yes the money is great but money doesn't buy happiness.

In addition, I know a lot of you hard workers are going to say things like "bye rookie, stupid millennial, or this guy doesn't get it" but I'm just reporting what I have seen as a preloader in my 60 days working at UPS and talking to some senior drivers. I respect all of you for what you do.
I agree. Hated it for 30 years and it's getting worse. Get out now

MrFeeder

Hello all, I have been working for the ups company for two whole months now and I am thinking about leaving. I wanted to be a ups driver after having a career of delivering pizzas but after loading trucks for the last 60+ days I am second guessing if I want to become a driver for the next 25+ years. Here is what I learned in my 60 days as a preloader.

The drivers who come in are insanely depressed and worn out physically and mentally. I don't know how many drivers that I load for complain to dispatch because they were given an extra split or that their back hurts. These drivers complain that they have 200+ stops and pick ups. These people just seem like they hate their life but they have worked for the company for too damn long to think about leaving to start a new career. They feel that if they left now, all the years spent to be a driver would be a waste.

There is also another driver that I load for who works 10-12 hours a day and he just recently told me that he got a divorce and his wife gets the majority of the custody because he's never around to go to their softball games or back to school nights. He told me how depressing it is to leave his house in the dark to go to work and doesn't return home until after dark as well. He said its heart breaking to see families huddled around the living room watching a movie or eating dinner while he's delivering pointless Amazon packages at 8:30-9:00 PM.

The money made as a driver is great but I feel that a lot of drivers are trapped or complacent and stop counts are only going to rise in the future because it seems like management would rather pay 4 drivers 12 hours of work then pay 6 drivers 8 hours each.

It's depressing to me to see in the 60 days that I have been there so many people complaining that their knees are shot, that their backs ache, or that they think they tore something in the shoulder. I have seen a lot of people go on disability to get surgerys.

sorry for the rant, I just feel like you drivers go through a lot of crap and your home life suffers because of it due to the constant increases of stops and expectations and it doesn't seem to look any better in the future now that we are offering Saturday ground now. Yes the money is great but money doesn't buy happiness.

In addition, I know a lot of you hard workers are going to say things like "bye rookie, stupid millennial, or this guy doesn't get it" but I'm just reporting what I have seen as a preloader in my 60 days working at UPS and talking to some senior drivers. I respect all of you for what you do.
When I first started myself I couldn’t agree more with your experience because I went through it. You need to know what you want, how you make it and how you play it out with this company. When I heard great things about Feeders not lifting packages, I was hooked. I made that my goal and sucked it up grew thick skin to get through the rough unloading part time through rough cold routes of delivering. Eventually made it through Feeders and I come to work feeling as if Im retired already. Thats how you play the game.

specter208

You pretty much have nailed it. The company sees the money drivers make as giving them the right to pretty much disregard drivers as people with need of family and personal time. If you have to quit or take time off for being hurt badly they just get a hard-on cause they can pay some other poor sap half the money as a new hire. I had to quit after only a couple years in that horrid mess. Thank god I fought for and achieved getting back as an inside worker.

If I were you, I wouldn't quit but maybe just know that you got an early chance to realize just how craptastic life as a driver is. No amount of money is worth getting violated six ways to Sunday as a person. If you can hack it getting your pizza job back and being a preloader, you should be able to do ok for a while until you make more money down the line as a preloader. Just my two cents. But you are dead on about drivers. Bunch of miserable people but they have good reason to be. Good to see that younger people these days value quality of life over wage slavery. "Oh I can barely walk but look at my brand new truck and fat house (that I live in by myself because my wife and kids got sick of never seeing me and if I was there me being a miserable mess of stress and pain.)"

Eff that.
Maybe you should teach your kids about sacrifice, compromise and being mentally strong.

F

Frankie's Friend

Maybe you should teach your kids about sacrifice, compromise and being mentally strong.
What's his kids got to do with this? If he has kids. Many people that worked part time thru college didnt stay because they had other goals. Not everyone wants to "sacrifice" their future working at a thankless job. Just because someone doesnt make $36/hr doesnt mean they arent really happier where theyre at. Maybe they were ""mentally strong" enough to decide to not "compromise" their family time and have a contented life.

BrownStains

I mean I have been on preload for less than half a year and yet I can use my co-workers and this forum to know how the whole yearly cycle goes and what routes my drivers take (I fully memorized one route after peak) and what they deal with and what my supervisors may try to pull behind my back etc. etc.
Oh ya? You know his 30 pickups and what he goes through on a daily basis yet you have never drove a route? i find that hard to believe.

john chesney

It only gets worse. If you’re already thinking this way you are done. Spare yourself

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
This thread is dead. The guy walked back into Dominoes, nuts retracted, a broken man with no aspirations, and a future rife with grease stains on the passenger seat.

Hannah-banana

I'm in the same boat OP. I've been a preloader for four months, and I'm questioning if I can stand it in the long run.

I thought things would improve after peak but it hasn't.

The pattern is the corporate human meat grinder vibe of just always pushing people harder and harder. Pushing the volume to the point of it being impossible to maintain egress on the entire pen.

Then of course, blaming the workers for any problems. The work is fine, it's the dehumanizing disregard from management that bothers me.

I'm considering other options