This has got to be illegal!!!

browniehound

handrail_hank said:
We started using brand new diad 4's this past week. The previous diad 4's we used for only a few months. (still relativly new).I was told that these new one's have the gps installed in them. Of course, we were told that this feature was strictly for pinpointing the exact location of a driver so that the nearest driver could be dispatched to an On call air pickup. Sounds like UPS spent a lot of $ for GPS capabilities . They must really be expecting a large number of on call air request to come in. Raise your hand if you believe this!!

This is a load of crap. The center already knows which oca's belong to which drivers. Yeah, UPS is going to spend millions of dollars so they can figure out who the occasionally odd OCA belongs to. Give me a break

tieguy

Banned
Imagine this . New driver starts to misdeliver a package going to 3023 main street to 3023 pain street. Diad checks position using GPS and alerts the driver that he is at the wrong house. Coming soon to a diad near your.

browniehound

tieguy said:
Imagine this . New driver starts to misdeliver a package going to 3023 main street to 3023 pain street. Diad checks position using GPS and alerts the driver that he is at the wrong house. Coming soon to a diad near your.

Then I would think that is money well spent

spidey

The Company that is paying the hourly wage has a right to know where THEIR employee is during working hours. They also have a right to know where THEIR vehicle and THEIR customers packages are at any giving moment. This would be the same if you worked in a grocery store, a dentist's office or off site, like a cable man or a sales rep for any company. If you aren't doing anything wrong you should'nt care one iota about this, except how the technology should eventually make your job easier. The OCA is only one small example of this. It isn't the only reason it's being implemented, and if it was presented to you like that than whomever told you was unimformed.

CorpSecurity

This is what Security used to use to track drivers who would park for extended periods of time or would go off their route (go home etc.) Nowadays it makes no sense because all DIAD boards currently in use contain GPS chips that can be tracked by the OMS with ease.

handrail_hank

tieguy said:
Will this same feature work to alert a preloader when he is about to load a misload on the wrong car.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Good point about the preloader going into the wrong car, GPS won't prevent that. We are not live on PAS yet but they are SPA'ing all packages. My preloader is still checking all package labels and circling the bad SPA labels for me to turn in. In 2 weeks we'll see how good the system and people are!

DanLee1950

I'm recently retired...UPS center manager, but spent the last 2 yrs on PAS implementation...Initially, yes, there will be some problems, but most of the problems I personally encountered were due to folks bastardizing the system...(Not using proper loops dispatch...putting bandaids on loop problems, rather than changing the loop, etc)...Some folks didn't want to "upset the apple cart" so to speak, and some just looped existing driver areas, rather than loop properly...So as to not upset drivers who've had the same dispatch for years...That in itself is a whole 'nother problem, but trust me...If implemented properly, and updated properly, it's absolutely an amazing system. We spent $600M on it, so it's not going away!...

P

PASissues

The poor driver in our area has to carry 2 DIADs because they can't figure out how to stop misdelivering packages between two buildings in the same complex....one of which is a UPS office. They had to split the loops or something. I think this is off topic, but I figured I would share. I could have done a lot with 600mil !!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have been on PAS/EDD, and are still trying to adjust to it after two weeks. When the routes are set up right and the preload goes down decently, it is amazing. Unfortunately, EDD doesn't seeem to know apt.,lot, or suite numbers with the same street addresses. It also doesn't seem to know the difference in commercial and residential stops. My miles are up, my customers are mad, and the best preloader I've ever had is fixing to quit because she has to split the belt and load five Package Cars instead of three. Its now hard to find a parking place when I get to work because of all the new PAS folks. $600,000,000.00?